IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

@Square wrote:

Was told this was a Rogers Business Decision, doubt this will ever be added to Ignite Cloud PVR, so I cancelled all Rogers!  Pretty bad, when you have to lie to a 40+ year customer, so you can keep me subscribed for 8 more months!

"Business Decision" implies that this problem is fixable but that it will take significant $$$ to fix.  Does this mean that Rogers is also unwilling to invest additional funds into things such as upgrading encoders to improve video quality?

I must admit that I get disappointed whenever a service provider refuses to fix problems or is unwilling to address concerns and frustrations raised by their customers.  Ignite TV has some nice features but it also numerous quirks, and still has some annoying wrinkles that have yet to be ironed out.  I can't say that I have seen any significant technical improvements to Ignite TV over the last 16 months, other than the addition of the Prime Video app.  Is Rogers actually happy with Ignite TV's current technical state?

In last November's Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II event, we were told, "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!" numerous times.  Were they referring to the screen saver?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thank you, well written! 100% agree.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square  When you last spoke with Rogers, did they go into any details as to what factored into their decision making with regards to how they closed this issue internally?

For anybody else reading this thread, don't get the wrong impression that Ignite TV is horrible.  It's not.  It's actually a good service.  In my opinion, better than most.  (Keep that in mind if you are considering switching services.  The grass is not always greener.)  However, this would be a good time for Rogers to be more forthcoming about what their plans are to improve Ignite TV going forward, and how/when they plan to address some of the more significant issues that have been raised in other threads.

Highlighted

Not really, the typical statement : "

As per our conversation today, I am so sorry to hear about your concern with Rogers disabling 5.1 Audio Playback recordings for Ignite TV. I completely understand how frustrating this must have been for you. I’ll make sure that the concern surrounding this change reaches our internal team.

Thanks for letting me know about your disappointment with the changes made. Your feedback has proved to be valuable, as we aim to continue to make improvements to the Ignite service. We apologize again for the inconvenience that it caused you. We’ll keep you updated on improvements for sure."

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square  Well, not the response that you would want to see if you had been promised a fix months ago... but it doesn't sound like Rogers is ruling out fixing the problem either.

As for what's causing the problem, I think that the encoding for recorded content (including Restart) is done in a separate pipeline from live streaming and they may intentionally be doing encoding/transcoding on the two pipelines differently.  (I don't know why.  It may be to work around a different bug in the PVR playback software on another client, or it may be to work around a bug in the encoder itself.... we'll never know.)

For what it's worth, getting problems fixed these days is also tricky... especially with travel restrictions, workspace closures, etc.  I have heard lots of stories about infrastructure upgrades getting delayed because Systems Engineers and Professional Services teams can't travel to Canada to complete projects.  I would be shocked if Rogers was not affected.

COVID-19 has affected telcos' revenues as well, so that also has a tendency to put discretionary projects on hold.  With some projects on hold and other projects delayed, it doesn't make for a very good situation.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The issue with improperly encoded DD5.1 started around spring of 2019, so they had almost a year to correct the problem (BC - Before COVID).  I'm unsure why they chose improperly encoded DD5.1 either, instead of say DD2.0 or PCM, which can be properly decoded using DPLII or similar.

Had they used either of the latter, you could leave the Ignite box set to DD instead of "other" so that you could get live or OD programming properly and server recordings as something that can be properly decoded.

Highlighted

As my old posts indicated, I think this has to do with Comcast.  In the USA, the Comcast comments indicated that the Cloud PVR Recordings have always been Stereo, but they have the option to still ask for the old DVR's, instead of the Cloud PVR's.  But Rogers will not give this option.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square  The Comcast DVR that you are referring to is based on legacy cable technology with conventional tuners, so they record whatever is broadcast.  That equipment is not an option because Rogers (and every other major cable company) are moving to an all-IP-based service delivery model.  At some point down the road, the next-generation Rogers network infrastructure will not even carry TV channels anymore.

Highlighted

Well then it's the Cloud which is not ready for Rogers Prime Time.  Bell is also an all IP service, yet they have no problem with DD 5.1 Surround Sound.   Any way, I cancelled Rogers at the end of the month, so thank you everyone for your help and advice!!