cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IgniteTV Surround Sound

DDave_ca
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello!  First post...

Long time Rogers customer, new Ignite subscriber.  Any Ignite customers having trouble getting surround sound (DDS5.1) to work from these Ignite TV boxes?  In the settings, I have tried both Auto and Expert (forced surround sound), but neither work.

My connection is not HDMI direct to my surround receiver - it only has optical (toslink/SPDIF) input.  My Panasonic TV has optical output.  I have DDS5.1 when using the smart TV for Netflix playback - not from the Rogers Netflix app.  I also tried using an audio extractor/splitter - same results.

Thoughts?

*** Edited Labels ***

135 REPLIES 135

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes all those codes have been used but didn't work. 

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around
My remote is the XR15

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Claire70 wrote:

Yes all those codes have been used but didn't work. 

Hmm. Sorry to hear that. Many electronics are supplied by many different suppliers, so the Sharp may be made by say Samsung if all those (Sharp) codes didn't work.  The only thing left for you to try is the scan method outlined in post 61.  However, that is not a guarantee as the code for your device may simply not be programmed into the remote. Perhaps @-G- will have another idea.  Good Luck.

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for trying. Appreciate the help?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Claire70  I'm sorry but I'm at a loss as well.  What is the actual model number of your Sharp surround system?  We might be able to track down who actually manufactured it on behalf of Sharp.

Here's a thread from the Xfinity forum where somebody got an soundbar from some obscure brand working: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Help-pairing-remote-to-soundbar/td-p/3128568

(This is for the older XR11 remote.  For your XR15, press and hold "A + D" buttons simultaneously rather than the Setup button".)

And here are alternate instructions for setting up the Xfinity-branded XR15 remote:

These pages may have more codes in their database.  To program a 5-digit code, press and hold the "Menu (Rogers) + Mute" buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds, wait for the status light to turn green, then enter the 5-digit code."

For Step-by-Step instructions on paring your remote to a TV and Audio Receiver, press the "Rogers" button and go to Settings ("gear" icon) > Remote Settings > Voice remote pairing

I will follow up with any additional information that I can find.  Best of luck with getting your remote configured!

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried that - still doesn't work.  The sound doesn't turn off. 

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried the 992 but it didn't work . Volume doesn't go off when I press the channel up.

Claire70
I Plan to Stick Around

It's a Sharp Home Cinema Model No. HT-CN300

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Claire70 wrote:

Tried the 992 but it didn't work . Volume doesn't go off when I press the channel up.

It's not the volume that goes off. You need to repeatedly press the Ch+ button until the sound bar turns off (turn the sound bar on before doing the scan). What's happening each time you press Ch+ is that the remote is trying the next code in its memory.  When the bar does turn off, save that "code" and you should be then able to turn the bar on/off and the sound up/down.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Claire70 wrote:

It's a Sharp Home Cinema Model No. HT-CN300

That model is in URC's database for the XR15 so code 33097 should work.

Another trick that I tried was to see if I could find anybody looking for a setup code for the HT-CN300 for any other device's universal remote, and then do a reverse search for that same code in the hopes that it would also work for, say, an Emerson or Hitachi surround sound system... and then we could try the codes for that manufacturer as well.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck with that approach for your device  (at least not yet) either.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@Claire70 wrote:

It's not the volume that goes off. You need to repeatedly press the Ch+ button until the sound bar turns off (turn the sound bar on before doing the scan). What's happening each time you press Ch+ is that the remote is trying the next code in its memory.  When the bar does turn off, save that "code" and you should be then able to turn the bar on/off and the sound up/down.

...and make sure that you are pointing the remote directly at your Sharp audio system while you are going through this process.

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Has the loss of DD 5.1 Surround on the Cloud recordings been fixed?  @RogersCorey you told the forum, this would be fixed 8 months ago!  Any way, I have no way to test it out, but was told by a rep from OOTP that audio issues were fixed recently and it should work now(or his works).  Thank you.

Hello again, @Square

We appreciate you for following up with us on this matter.

I have looked into this for you and it appears that cPVR recordings are still in DD2.0 audio. Once we have an update we will ensure the community is kept in the loop.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:  I have looked into this for you and it appears that cPVR recordings are still in DD2.0 audio.

1. @RogersTony : They are not in DD2.0. They are improperly encoded DD5.1 with audio from the LF & RF speaker channels only for people who have AVR/surround sound systems.

2. @Square : Rogers have recently solved another audio issue with Legacy Digital Cable, as outlined in the following post: The problem there was that many channels were changed from DD5.1 to PCM back in April, however, it appears to be resolved. Perhaps that's what the CSR was confusing with the Ignite recordings issue.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-audio-drop/m-p/465478#M52482

People who are not audiophiles may not notice or care or even know how to diagnose/solve the problem.  One has to be extremely patient and concise when dealing with CSRs on these sorts of audio issues.  For example, here's what I sent to OOTP back in April regarding PCM on digital cable.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-audio-drop/m-p/461070#M52209

People without an AVR would not notice either issue.  The issue on Ignite is even more esoteric in that there is a DD5.1 signal coming from the cloud recording, but with a Rogers box set to the appropriate setting for DD5.1 an AVR can only provide LF & RF speaker channel signals.  If the Rogers box is set to "other", then an AVR can provide  surround sound using say Dolby Pro Logic decoding because the audio is changed by the box, probably to DD2.0.  What messes this up even more is that live and OD programming is properly encoded.

Square

@57 Well written post!  Thank you.  The most thing that bothers me is constantly having to turn the volume way up for the recordings, then way down for live tv or my ears get blown!

@RogersTony Well I was told July 11th it would be fixed back in February, now another month is gone and all I get told is when a fix is coming we will be told.  Guess what?, not waiting another 6 months or 1 year.  My new place has Bell FTTH, so after 42 years I will be cancelling Rogers.

Square

Also the Restart feature is doing the same as the Cloud Recordings!  Live it will have DD 5.1, if I go to Restart, the On Demand content has no DD 5.1 Surround!

Square

Was told this was a Rogers Business Decision, doubt this will ever be added to Ignite Cloud PVR, so I cancelled all Rogers!  Pretty bad, when you have to lie to a 40+ year customer, so you can keep me subscribed for 8 more months!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square wrote:

Was told this was a Rogers Business Decision, doubt this will ever be added to Ignite Cloud PVR, so I cancelled all Rogers!  Pretty bad, when you have to lie to a 40+ year customer, so you can keep me subscribed for 8 more months!

"Business Decision" implies that this problem is fixable but that it will take significant $$$ to fix.  Does this mean that Rogers is also unwilling to invest additional funds into things such as upgrading encoders to improve video quality?

I must admit that I get disappointed whenever a service provider refuses to fix problems or is unwilling to address concerns and frustrations raised by their customers.  Ignite TV has some nice features but it also numerous quirks, and still has some annoying wrinkles that have yet to be ironed out.  I can't say that I have seen any significant technical improvements to Ignite TV over the last 16 months, other than the addition of the Prime Video app.  Is Rogers actually happy with Ignite TV's current technical state?

In last November's Ask an Expert: Ignite TV Pt. II event, we were told, "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!" numerous times.  Were they referring to the screen saver?

Square

Thank you, well written! 100% agree.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Square  When you last spoke with Rogers, did they go into any details as to what factored into their decision making with regards to how they closed this issue internally?

For anybody else reading this thread, don't get the wrong impression that Ignite TV is horrible.  It's not.  It's actually a good service.  In my opinion, better than most.  (Keep that in mind if you are considering switching services.  The grass is not always greener.)  However, this would be a good time for Rogers to be more forthcoming about what their plans are to improve Ignite TV going forward, and how/when they plan to address some of the more significant issues that have been raised in other threads.

Square

Not really, the typical statement : "

As per our conversation today, I am so sorry to hear about your concern with Rogers disabling 5.1 Audio Playback recordings for Ignite TV. I completely understand how frustrating this must have been for you. I’ll make sure that the concern surrounding this change reaches our internal team.

Thanks for letting me know about your disappointment with the changes made. Your feedback has proved to be valuable, as we aim to continue to make improvements to the Ignite service. We apologize again for the inconvenience that it caused you. We’ll keep you updated on improvements for sure."