IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV Surround Sound

Interesting that you were able to configure your sound bar to work with the ignite remote. I tried and failed to do the same with my Polk sound bar. I called for assistance but was told it couldn't be done. How did you configure yours to work?

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

I just followed your instructions to enable my Polk sound bar to work with the Ignite remote. Works perfect!!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Okay here is my strange problem.  The Dolby Digital 5.1 works on live tv, but not on the recorded shows.  Any ideas? 

Thank you.

I've Been Around

Ignite TV no surround sound...

hi Folks, 

Long time Rogers subscriber, recently upgrade to Rogers Ignite. I have a Sony Bravia (XBR55A8G) with a Bose 700 Soundbar, Bose Bass Module and Bose Surround Sound Speakers. Using my iPhone I can Airplay music and hear it through all the speakers. However when I watch TV the sound only comes through the Soundbar. Nothing coming through the Bass Module or Surround Sound Speakers.

I think it's pretty straight forward. I have the Rogers Ignite connected via HDMI cable to HDMI 2 Input on the Sony. The Soundbar is connected via HDMI cable to HDMI-ARC on the Sony.

During the setup I was able to get the Ignite remote to turn on both the TV & Soundbar. But regardless of what settings on Ignite, Sony or the Bose components. No sound out of the Bass Module or rear speakers.

Perplexed...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeffrdonald  Here are my comments, suggestions.

I see that you're going "through" the TV for audio since the Bose has no HDMI Input (only HDMI-ARC connection to/from the TV, which is "weird").  This means that the audio going through the TV to the Bose needs to be configured properly.

1. Some TVs do not allow for the proper passthrough of Audio as discussed in note 4 of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

2. However, most new TVs do allow for proper passthrough, however, they need to be configured properly in the TV's user audio setup menu.  It needs to be configured for "external speakers" as well as for DD5.1 (or "original audio" or "bitstream", or something similar.  Often, the TV may be configured by default to send PCM (2 channel) audio instead, which is what I suspect is happening.

3. Another thing to try would be to use the optical output from the TV into the optical input of the Bose.

4. Also, make sure you're using the appropriate HDMI input on the back of the TV for 4K signals etc.  A quick look at the operating manuals seems to indicate HDMI 2/3 are good for this, but check to be sure.

5. Makes sure you've enabled the appropriate surround sound mode in the Bose for the HDMI-ARC input. Many devices may "remember" different modes for different inputs. See also page 49 - Troubleshooting of the Bose operating manual.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Switch the audio setting to Expert on the Ignite box, if not already.  When I first had trouble, I had my box set on Dolby Digital Plus, was not getting surround on rear speakers, when switched to Expert, then it worked.  Still won't get DD 5.1 on Recordings tho, that's a Comcast/Rogers problem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When our Rogers Ignite TV was first installed we also lost our surround sound but figured out a solution.

Our audio is through HDMI to a Sony Receiver.  The receiver then connects to a Bose Accoustimass Surround system with Subwoffer, a BRAVIA TV (also via HDMI) and other components.

Here is the solution that worked for us:

1. Use the Sony receiver remote and push the “GUI Mode” button to bring up the receiver menu through the TV

2. Scroll down to “Settings” (the little toolbox) and select it

3. Scroll down to HDMI and set it to the following:

Ctrl for HDMI: OFF

Pass Through

Audio Out: AMP

HDMI Assign

4. I am not sure if this is important but you can also scroll to “Surround” and I have mine set to the following:

HD D.C.S.           Theatre

Once I made these changes my surround sound returned for all Ignite TV functions. I hope that this helps. Cheers and all the best for the Season!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kromtara wrote:

A: Our audio is through HDMI to a Sony Receiver.  

3. Scroll down to HDMI and set it to the following:

Ctrl for HDMI: OFF

A. The Bose 700 sound bar in question doesn't have an HDMI (A/V) Input, only HDMI-ARC to accept audio from the TV, so you cannot go "through" the Bose 700.

3. Setting the HDMI-CEC to off will eliminate the ARC functionality, so that won't help @jeffrdonald , unless he switches to optical as the output from the TV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, my post to this thread was our experience losing surround sound on Ignite TV with our config and solution, not for @jeffrdonald's specific configuration. There were others I hoped this would help. Cheers.

I'm Here A Lot

I spoke to an agent and confirmed that ignite recordings do NOT playback in 5.1. The best in 2019 is pcm stereo. Live and on demand do. Also the agent confirmed that this maybe something that changes but can't confirm when or if they will. Sad sad sad. My old PVR,s worked fine for this. I switched because Rogers would not lower my cable package. They said if I switch to ignite It would be cheaper and better. So. Stupid me. I switched. Now I listen to stereo recorded shows in my Onkyo THX receiver and Sony 85 inch Bravia. And it sucks compared to last week when I had my cable per 8300 that's about 10 or 15 years old. Wow. Just wow.