IgniteTV Surround Sound

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: IgniteTV Surround Sound

Can I control a Sony sound bar with the Rogers ignite remote control?

Hello @dsoper,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

It's always more convenient to use a single remote to control all of your devices rather than having multiple. The good news is, the Ignite TV remote is more than capable of controlling numerous devices.

You can find all of the steps to program your remote by following the instructions below:

1.) Go to www.urcsupport.com
2.) Enter "Rogers" as your Provider 
3.) Select the "Code Finder" button below the "Rogers Ignite TV Voice Remote
4.) Click on "Add New Audio
5.) Select the "Sony" brand from the list 
6.) If you have the model number select "Enter my model number" otherwise select "I don't know my model number
7.) A Code should be generated 
8.) Follow the steps for "Setup for Audio Device Control" below the code finder and enter the code into the remote when prompted

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

After I got over my surprise about losing my surround sound capability, I did some research and bought an HDMI splitter (to split the HDMI signal into HDMI and optical audio). I connected the HDMI out from the Ignite set-top box into the splitter. I connected the HDMI OUT port on the splitter to the HDMI IN port on my TV and used my digital audio optical cable to connect the SPDIF OUT port on the splitter to the digital optical port on my home theatre. I had the settings at Expert ahd immediately got surround sound without havingt to change anything. Whe I checked the settings later I, saw that it had automatically detected that there was a Dolby 5.1 signal.

Long story short, the HDMI Audio Extractor Converter (HDMI to Optical Toslink SPDIF) was what allowed me to get surround sound on my Ignite set-top box.

I've Been Here Awhile

How to get Ignite surround sound to work with Yamaha RX-V663?

We recently got Ignite, connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver.

The receiver shows that it is receiving a 5.1 surround-sound signal, and the "Dolby Digital Plus" indicator is lit.

But the receiver's display says "straight", which means that the signal processing is bypassed, and the result is 2.0 sound.

Strangely, adjusting the receiver's controls result in "not available" when I try to change the setting to anything other than "straight".  Unplugging the HDMI allows the controls to work again, but as soon as it is plugged in it goes back to fixed "straight", like the Ignite box is telling the receiver not to do any sound processing.

Is there some setting that will allow these two devices to communicate properly?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RB42 : Page 51 of the operating manual for your AVR discusses how to disable "straight". (Press Straight repeatedly to toggle?)

Page 49 of the OM discusses how to invoke "Movie" Standard, which is what you should use. You should then get Dolby Pro Logic for any incoming DD2.0 signals and DD5.1 for DD5.1.

If this doesn't work, you can try resetting the AVR per page 119 of the OM.

I've Been Here Awhile

@57 , yes, I had already read the manual and tried that.

As I said, any attempt to change the setting from "straight", whether by the "straight" button, the mode changer, or the remote control, always results in "not available" while the HDMI is connected to the Ignite box.

Connected to anything else (including the old Rogers box),  it lets me change it with no problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RB42 : Have you tried changing the settings in the Rogers box for audio?  Change it one way (PCM or Other?) and then back to Bitstream or DD or whatever?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable - perhaps there is something amiss with the audio connection of that cable?

Have you tried resetting the AVR as I mentioned?  Of course this will reset any customer settings to factory defaults.

I've Been Around

Samsung sound bar

I got Rogers Ignite installed a couple of weeks ago.

Everything went well until the technician and I wanted to hook up my Samsung sound bar.

With only 1 HDMI input on the Ignite box, I am unable to hook up my sound bar without physically putting the cable HDMI into my sound bar, then the soundbar into the Ignite Box.

There are 2 problems with this...

-I would hate to have to do this every time I want to watch a movie

-I do not want the surround sound all of the time

I now there is splitters out there, but I feel I should not pay extra for this.

I think Rogers should provide whatever I need to make sure my sound bar should work as before....

Thanks Chris C

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chris_conidis wrote:

1. With only 1 HDMI input on the Ignite box

2. I do not want the surround sound all of the time

3. I now there is splitters out there, but I feel I should not pay extra for this.

1. I assume you mean Output.

2. One option may be to feed the HDMI signal to the TV and then set the TV to use "external speakers" in the TV's audio setup menu, using the optical output of the TV and assuming you have an optical input on the soundbar.  The problem with this is that you'll need to go into the TV's menu whenever you want to use the TVs internal speakers.  This requires no physical intervention, but the TV's menu may be so convoluted that you may not wish to perform this task there either.

3. There are so many different options out there that you cannot expect Rogers to cover (and pay for) every eventuality.  In some cases, if you ask the installer nicely, they may supply some equipment, but it's at their discretion and the tech may not have it in his truck.  I know that sometimes they will provide an HDMI to Component Video Converter if you have older equipment without HDMI for example.  Yes there are splitters available, however, one needs to be careful when purchasing the splitter that it has the appropriate specifications for the signal in question. For example, not many handle 4K.

Notes:

Some (more expensive) Audio Video Receivers can be configured to pass the HDMI signal to the TV when they are turned off. In this way the audio would be surround when the AVR is on and via the TV when the AVR is off.  I'm not sure if any Soundbars do this.

Some Soundbars may also be configurable so that they can switch between various surround modes, which may mimic "non-surround" sound.  Soundbars are not usually "that immersive" anyway, so you may wish to try using it 100% of the time.  It may take a little getting used to, but you may end up preferring it in the end...

Regarding item 2, some TVs do not pass the incoming HDMI signal to the optical output (Passthrough). It depends on the TV.  See the bolding in the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the ignite tv system installed today. Cannot get my Polk sound bar to communicate with the Ignite remote. I called for assistance but was told that the 'system' will not communicate with a soundbar or receiver, or whatever. This is unbelievable! Also asked about adding the Spotify App. No can do....