Ignite tv/internet constant disconnect - error code rdk-03117

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iantweedle
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite tv/internet constant disconnect - error code rdk-03117

Thank you for your reply.

Each time I have an issue with the tv/internet I call Rogers and they do a cycle through on the modem.  So in the last 2 weeks they've done it 9 times.  That cycle makes everything work again for about 2-3 days before it drops out again.  I can try doing a cycle of the modem but since it only lasts for a few days it seems pointless to keep doing it every few days.

When the system was first installed we had 4 pods placed in the house.  When our modem was swapped out on October 22, the technician didn't bother to hook up the pods and that's when we had issues.  Another tech was sent to hook up the pods and they removed 2 and kept 2.  Since then we have issues in the house where there are no pods.

The other issue I have with the pods is that no one at Rogers has the same answer about the pods.  Everyone I speak to has a different answer.  Both technicians that came to our house told us "pods are horrible .. don't know why Rogers has them .. they are stupid".  Yet when I call in with internet/tv issues, the people I speak with on the phone tell me pods are necessary.  I've been told that pods help extend the wifi coverage to the pods cause interference and restrict wifi coverage to the pods do absolutely nothing and that everything connects to the gateway regardless if the pods are connected or not.  It sounds like no one at Rogers actually knows what the pods do.

The gateway used to have a google home located next to it.  One technician to our house told me that no device should be in the room as the gateway modem.  They told me to move the google home directly out of the room and put it in another room.  The issue is, the google home is in that room for a reason so now it's making things more difficult having it in another room.  That tech also told me that having a tv in the room with the modem also causes interference so I need to consider moving the tv.  They told me that all technology will have an impact on the gateway working properly.  My question to that is, if all technology has an impact on the gateway working properly then why give it to customers if it doesn't work with devices near it?  Sounds odd to have something that controls everything in your home and yet other devices can make it not work.

I tried going to the log in for the gateway modem but it asks for a username and password and I don't know what that would be.  Rogers never gives that information to us.  When the devices were installed we received no information on how to use the devices.

I do think that a lot of the issues we have relate back to the main junction box on our boulevard.  Around the time that we started having issues, there was a Rogers tech that did work on the junction box and then went down the side of our house where the main Rogers line comes in and started banging with tools.  There was no Rogers technician scheduled to be at our house (for that day or anyday) and when I called Rogers they had no record (that day or going forward) of any Rogers tech doing work on the junction box.

I am just getting tired of things constantly not working.  I understand that the modem is the main device that connects everything but honestly, I shouldn't have to unplug the main power line from it on such a regular basis.  I also don't like that the gateway box gets so hot all the time.  I've been told it should get warm but never hot.  The previous one and this one get to the point that I have to unplug them to let them cool down.  It scares me how hot it gets.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robcolburn wrote:

No biggest mistake I have made. We are always losing the signal and they can't seem to fix it and their customer service is truly awful

The other thread is not really the right place to troubleshoot Ignite TV issues so I'm posting a response here as well.  Are you only seeing problems with Ignite TV or are all devices on your network experiencing connectivity issues?  What about devices that are directly connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable?  Do you have Ignite WiFi Pods installed and if so, what guidance were you given as to where to place your Ignite modem/gateway and where to install your Pods?  As I said in my reply, there is no reason why Ignite TV should not work flawlessly.  However, in order for Ignite TV to work well, your Internet service needs to work well, your in-home network needs to work well, and all WiFi devices on your network need to have good, strong connections -- including your Pods, and they need to have good, strong connections not only to the WiFi clients that connect to them but also (more importantly) to the Ignite gateway as well.

northface57
I'm Here A Lot

I'm having similar issues.   Ignite was rock solid till about 3 weeks ago. No replacement of gateways but same error and same intermittent wifi drops/errors.  I have lost all services (TV, internet and home phone) at times but it's mostly TV outages.  Our neighbours also have Ignite and had outages at the same time as we did.  Cables to our home were changed.  Techs have diagnosed the issue as a infrastructure issue (cables or boxes feeding our green box).  I have a case # but no date on when this will be resolved. I'm getting annoyed as well with these outages.   Different topic but I'm frustrated with how the FFWD and PVR controls work.  It feels like Ignite is a work in progress.  😞

Bob

northface57
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers must have known I was sending this note, just as I posted it the TV froze and is out
😞
RonRodrigues
I've Been Around

We hopefully just found the answer to our Ignite TV disconnection every 15-18 minutes.  The Router Box was placed too close to the TV.  We moved it at least three feet away and our TV hasn't disconnected in over 45 minutes.

iantweedle
I've Been Here Awhile

UPDATE:

Everything finally got sorted out.  Only took 5 more technicians coming to our residence to clear things up.  Each time the technician would reinstall everything that had been installed in our residence.  Everything would work for a week then stop.

The solution in the end was to replace EVERYTHING, which is what I had asked the first time.  After everything had been replaced, all the known issues have stopped.

Cabernet2021
I've Been Around

Is not an outage. I have 2 tv boxes, only one is behaving like this and gives this error. Average restarting per day for this tv box is 10 times. The other tv box I have doesn't act like this. I can't replace it x Roger doesn't replace it (due to logistic and technician needs to come home pick up old one and drop off the new one). That's not gonna happen for a 8$ / month. Honestly you guys have the worst TV services. Anyway....
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cabernet2021 The Comcast Xfinity support site does not list any cause for RDK-03117, so I have no idea what that error really means.  I have only seen it (likely) as a result of networking issues/changes/maintenance on the Rogers network in my area, and fixed it by restarting my Ignite gateway followed by my set-top boxes.  In my case, other devices on my network also had issues with semi-broken Internet connectivity as well, not just my set-top boxes, and everything worked fine again after resetting the modem/gateway.

icanuck
I've Been Around

Not exactly the same problem as mine is a new setup, but may shed some light on the problem if perhaps someone or an update modified your WiFi router settings. The box here would give the same 03117 code and not connect. A quick Google of the error code mentioned IPv6. So for a lark, I checked my routers network settings and IPv6 was not enabled. Enabling it then restarting the tv box resolved the problem.
Theatreman
I've Been Here Awhile

My ignite tv boxes have lately been a frequent problem due to signal problems. I even got the wifi pods and put one on every level of the house, to Rogers specifics in terms of leaving open space and away from metal furniture. I check my phone and laptop and the signal is strong but the tv box keeps showing signal issues. My wifi pods randomly go off line everyday also.

I can’t get a love agent on the phone. Have waited on hold and average of 1.25 hours each time I call before hanging up. I’m floored with how bad this service is.