cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite service disconnecting every few minutes!!

ParisParis
I'm here a lot

Have the Ignite 1gig with tv and telephone since almost a year.  Suddenly 4 days ago, all my services started going down. The modem disconnects, TVs go black and then telephone goes down. The lights on the modem flash and essentially it reboots itself. After a bit, they all go back up. Now this happens about 50 times a day!!  Have spoken to several technical support agents who always tell me everything looks fine on their end.  A technician checked the outside hook up to house and deemed it fine. Was given a different modem but after setting it up was back to the intermittent disconnects. Have checked all the cable hookups, changed the power bar even changed the actual power outlet it’s hooked up to and nothing.... still the same. Today speaking to tech support again told nothing wrong on their end but while talking to him the modem rebooted 10 times and he was not able to do an update to my account! This is beyond frustrating and I have no idea how to get this resolved. Please need help!!!

***Edited Labels***

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Ignite service disconnecting every few minutes!!

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

As of June 25 at 10:45 pm we have had short disconnects lasting anywhere from a few seconds to a minute impacting the entire neighbourhood. We do not loose connection to the Gateway or CMTS as I believe you call it (the second hop,173.xxx.xxx.1) but we do loose connection to the internet and all of our ignite services drop. I do have logs of every time this has happened and finally got the CSR to include them in the notes of our ticket. However they have done nothing to resolve the issue as all they have done is setup a monitor, which has not picked up anything as I believe it is only monitoring our connection to the second hop (Gateway/CMTS). Our entire neighbourhood is affected and yet they have found nothing and are not providing any of us with any further updates till they "find something" which I don't think is going to happen at this point given its been 9 days since I first contacted them and last I checked the internet has cut out over 286 times since June 25

EsmaErkam
I've been around

I am having the same problem.  Ignite wifi and cable disconnect randomly at random intervals. Furthermore, I have noticed that with one touch on the modem's CODA cable, the whole system crashes, leading me to believe it's due to cable degradation... Help?

IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
609 MHz
279 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
591 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
657 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
681 MHz
687 MHz
693 MHz
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
37.9 dB
38.9 dB
33.1 dB
32.9 dB
33.1 dB
38.8 dB
38.9 dB
38.5 dB
38.2 dB
38.1 dB
37.5 dB
36.9 dB
37.0 dB
37.0 dB
37.1 dB
36.7 dB
36.4 dB
36.3 dB
36.1 dB
35.7 dB
36.2 dB
36.0 dB
35.8 dB
36.2 dB
36.5 dB
36.4 dB
36.7 dB
35.9 dB
35.2 dB
34.7 dB
33.7 dB
33.0 dB
NA
-12.8 dBmV
-8.8 dBmV
-17.5 dBmV
-17.8 dBmV
-17.7 dBmV
-10.9 dBmV
-10.8 dBmV
-11.8 dBmV
-12.2 dBmV
-12.5 dBmV
-13.2 dBmV
-14.2 dBmV
-14.0 dBmV
-13.8 dBmV
-13.7 dBmV
-14.1 dBmV
-14.5 dBmV
-14.7 dBmV
-14.8 dBmV
-14.8 dBmV
-14.8 dBmV
-15.0 dBmV
-15.2 dBmV
-14.8 dBmV
-14.3 dBmV
-14.3 dBmV
-13.9 dBmV
-13.9 dBmV
-15.0 dBmV
-15.7 dBmV
-16.9 dBmV
-17.7 dBmV
NA
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
21 MHz
25 MHz
32 MHz
38 MHz
56.0 dBmV
59.0 dBmV
59.0 dBmV
59.0 dBmV
QAM
QAM
QAM
QAM
TDMA_AND_ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA

@EsmaErkam you have a severe cable problem which is driving your downstream levels down below Rogers acceptable point at -10 dBmV and your upstream levels are running at 59 dBmV, where Rogers max point is 52 dBmV.  Official DOCSIS specs call for a maximum of 51 dBmV for three or four channel upstream ops. 

Call tech support and ask the tech support agent to run a signal check on the modem.  It will fail automatically, followed by a conversation to dispatch a field tech to your home.  

@EsmaErkam one thing that you could do is ensure that the cable is connected properly to the modem's coaxial connector, that is to say, that the cable connector is threaded properly onto the modem's coaxial connector, and that its turned down onto the coaxial connector until it won't turn anymore.  Usually hand tight is sufficient to tighten the cable connector.  If the cable connector is threaded properly onto the modem's coaxial connector, you should see the connector descend down on to the modem's coaxial connector as you turn it.  If you cross thread the cable connector, that is, the threads don't line up properly with the modem's coaxial connector, the cable connector will only turn down onto the coaxial connector part of a turn, instead of turning thru several turns.  That won't be enough for the cable's center conductor to engage the coaxial connector internal grip mechanism.  The result would be as you describe it, you just touch the cable and the modem drops its connection to Rogers system.  

Can you have a look at the cable connector and ensure that its threaded properly and turned down onto the modem's coaxial connector.  

If the cable connector is connected properly to the modem's coaxial connector, then, baring any other upstream cable issues, the downstream levels should be around 0 dBmV and the upstream signal levels should be in the 36 to 40 dBmV range. 

hclark5227
I've been around
mine now does that my modem was upgraded by rogers and now with ignite tv constantly shuts off. im getting fed up ready to have rogers ignite tv removed. not worth the money

yyhe
I've been around

Ignite modem keep resetting itself, at least 2-3 times during work hours!!!!

Hello, @yyhe

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to have a stable internet connection especially if you are working from home. 😞

We need a bit more information to assist you better. Please provide us with the answers to the questions below along with any other details you can provide.

• Can you confirm if the light on the top of the modem changes from solid white when the connection drops?
  • Can you describe how the modem is connected to power? Is it connected directly to the power socket in the wall?
  • Do the connectivity issues affect both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connected devices?

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

This is an issue for me too. And often times when it comes back one of my TVs is stuck on a black screen and won’t load channels for audio/video. This is extremely frustrating and I’m ready to ditch Rogers at this point. We only switched to ignite from the old style Rogers (which atleast we had reliable cable tv!) because we were told the old style was outdated and didn’t have options to improve our pricing.

Hi @Kah123,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

I can imagine how inconvenient disruptive service can be. We want to make sure we're able to resolve the connection issues for you. To get started can you please reply to the questions posted in the message right above yours?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

Is there any real resolution to this disconnect issue ? My ignite is disconnecting about every 1 minute for 2 to 3 second intervals. It's always did the disconnect from day one but usually only once every 30 to 45 minutes. Now it has intensified in the last 2 weeks.

Hello and welcome to the Community @jmelvin,

I understand how important a stable connection is since we all depend on connectivity for pretty much everything these days. We'd be more than happy to help you and investigate this further. I just have a few questions to help pinpoint the issue:

-  Do you recall when this issue first began? Were any changes made to your equipment or setup?

-  Do you notice issues mostly during a specific time of day or is it random?

-  Is the issue happening on all the devices in the house?

-  Are you using any third-party router or extenders?

-  Is there any visible damage to the Rogers modem, Coax Cable, or Ethernet Cable?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersRahul

Walidd
I'm here a lot
I recently "upgraded" to Rogers ignite and I am having the same issue that everyone is having. It is so disappointing and frustrating, especially because it seems to be a common problem and Rogers doesn't have a speedy solution. I can't play video games or watch sports. Amazing how you upgrade to the allegedly better service and can't do the basic things you could do on the older service. Like many here, the Rogers customer service tell me they see no issues. They have created a ticket for their back end to monitor my connection for 5 days. So that's at least 5 days of no proper internet or tv. How splendid. From reading posts in this thread it seems technicians should come fix the problem which likely is outside cables or something from what I'm understanding. I'm very disappointed.

Did you get this fixed?

I have the same issue I literally can't do anything I have no clue what I'm paying for and I'm honestly thinking of just cancelling my service with Rogers as I seem to have nothing but problems. They keep telling me they don't see any issue and so far they won't send a technician.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Walidd wrote:
I have the same issue I literally can't do anything I have no clue what I'm paying for and I'm honestly thinking of just cancelling my service with Rogers as I seem to have nothing but problems. They keep telling me they don't see any issue and so far they won't send a technician.

When you call into tech support, they probably checked the signal levels to your Ignite modem/gateway and saw that everything was normal.  However, there are also plenty of other things that could cause your Internet connectivity to be unstable even when the modem signal levels are normal.

Usually, if Rogers refuses to dispatch a tech, it would only be for one of two reasons: 1) They honestly don't see a problem or 2) there is a known problem that they know cannot be fixed by dispatching a technician. 

Rogers will let you know if they see an issue in your area (something that can be fixed quickly with either a hardware swap or simple maintenance) and will dispatch a tech to fix it.  However, if there is a known, longstanding issue, that they are unable to resolve quickly, then they probably will NOT acknowledge or admit to it.  The only thing that you can do is call into Tech Support again, escalate to a manager, and if that does not help, go to the Contact Us page and click Share a concern.

My Ignite TV and Internet services work flawlessly.  There is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware or the services.  However, there could be problems in your home, in your neighbourhood, or perhaps your municipality.

Walidd
I'm here a lot
I've had two Rogers technicians come in the last 2 days. It seems like the issue is less problematic, but it's still there! It's happening on wifi, on hard wire, on tv , on everything! Why does it seem like Rogers doesn't know how to fix this? Today's technician made a new cable connection from the box outside to my backyard, hanging the cable over my house. He suggested the cable underground needed to be replaced. While the issue seemed fixed at first, later this night I'm having issues on every device. It might be less frequent but it's there and it's a problem. I messaged Rogers again and they want to monitor it for another 5 days... Like come on! Today's technician suggested it could be an area issue. My neighbor also has Rogers ignite and has the same issue. If I changed service providers would it still happen? Seems like the problem has to do with the boxes outside? Any other suggestions? Thank you

@Walidd since you've already had the external cable replaced, at least temporarily, that proves that the problem is either internal (modem to external demarcation point) or, at or beyond the local tap, which your external cable is connected to.  My bet would be at or beyond the local tap.  The path to the world wide web is as follows:

1.  Pc to modem via ethernet

2.  Modem to external demarcation point via RG-6 cable;

3.  External Demarcation point to local tap (green pedestal) via RG-6 cable;

4.  Local tap to neighbourhood node via hard cable;

5.  Neighbourhood node to Cable Modem Termination System via fibre optic 

6.  CMTS via routing to target IP.  

Since you and your neighbour are suffering from the same problem, that points to a problem at the local tap or further upstream.  If that point wasn't already raised with tech support, you should call tech support once again and indicate that both you and your neighbour are suffering from the same problem.   If both you and your neighbour are connected to the same local tap, that points a problem with that tap or further upstream.  If you and your neighbour are connected to different local taps, that points an underground cable problem, or a problem at the neighbourhood node, or, potentially with another customer on the cable run from the neighbourhood node that has some equipment connected to the cable system that shouldn't be connected.  That device could be injecting noise into the cable system which is causing the disconnects.  That type of problem is difficult to isolate if its intermittent. 

If your disconnect situation is occurring throughout the day, that will be easier to locate, however, Rogers has its own system of dealing with technical faults which sometimes doesn't seem to make sense.  

In your specific case, you need to stress to tech support that this is a common problem with your neighbour.  That should shift the focus of any field tech support from a contractor tech, attempting to deal with your problem, to a Senior tech (real Rogers tech) who should be looking at the local tap and further upstream.  This might require the services of a Maintenance crew. 

Fwiw, here's what a local tap looks like, essentially an overgrown splitter which provides services to you and your immediate neighbours:

https://www.multicominc.com/product/multicom-mtar-pi-x-x-plug-in-tap-series/

As for changing service providers, as in switching from Rogers cable internet to a Third Party Internet Access provider, (TPIA), nope, don't go there, at least, not yet.  The TPIAs rely on the cable system as provided by the host company wherever you happen to live.  In your case, the cable system infrastructure belongs to Rogers.  The big incumbent providers force the TPIAs to run through all sorts of hoops and loops before any servicing is provided to the TPIA customers.  Its one of a number of long standing complaints made by the TPIAs and their customers.   Anyone thinking of switching over to a TPIA should ensure that any (read all cable) issues are taken care of prior to switching.  If not, the situation will take much longer to resolve, if it's ever resolved.  

Best thing to do at this point is to have a discussion with tech support once again, emphasizing the shared problem with your neighbour in order to escalate this to an in house Rogers tech or maintenance crew.  Call every day if you have to.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't be afraid to use it.  Persistent but polite are the keywords here.  Don't cut tech support any slack when it comes to seeing this through to a resolution.  

Walidd
I'm here a lot
I'm on my 5th technician appointment. Still no resolution & each time a technician comes we get a different diagnosis. This experience is really baffling.

@Walidd have you requested and seen a Senior Tech (Real Rogers tech) on site?  That's where you should be at by now, if not at the point where a maintenance crew is involved in this.

I've had 2 senior technicians come. They don't seem to know what they're doing. Honestly. Like I'm sorry to say. First one said we need to drill a new line into our home. Second one said it's an area issue and we don't need to drill a new line (there are at least 2 other neighbors with this problem). 2nd one just drove off and said he'll refer it to maintenance. I didn't really believe that he would act quickly so I called Rogers right after and the tech support rep said he sees 33 percent of my area with low signal which indicates area issue. He raised a ticket to maintenance. I just got a text update that they've closed the ticket. Obviously it isn't fixed yet. Like what a can of worms this is, all these Rogers people including senior techs contradicting themselves. I'm at a loss. I work from home I need the internet working, on top of this the tv freezes every 2 minutes and we can't game. What to do?

@Walidd I'd keep complaining to tech support, regardless of the closed ticket(s).  The next time that you call in, ask to speak with a Level II tech or a manager to elevate this above the Level I techs that you've been dealing with so far.  

Alternate action:  send a private message to @CommunityHelps.   When you're logged into the forum, follow that link to their public page.  Scroll down until you see a link to "Send this user a private message".  Follow that link to the message composition page.  Fill in the subject line/title and add your account details and link to your initial post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-service-disconnecting-every-few-minutes/m-p/4...

which basically explains the problem in that post and the post that follows it.  Tickets opened, tickets closed, no action, no resolution to the problem despite numerous tech visits including Senior Techs.  Request their assistance to get the problem resolved.  

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the personal avatar which is located in the upper right hand corner.  That avatar also serves as a link to the message inbox/outbox, profile, etc etc.  Follow the links down to the inbox to see the response from @CommunityHelps.

Either way, keep chasing this down, either with tech support or with @CommunityHelps.  Have a conversation with your immediate neighbours.  Encourage them to call tech support as well, indicating that the problem affects multiple customers and that the response to date, after several tech visits is "Nothing sited, sank same", and, "NO RESOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM".

Persistence is the key here, despite the inaction to date on Rogers tech staff. 

You know what is super weird... Yesterday when I called Rogers to make sure they escalated it to maintenance, & they did, & then less than 2 hours later I got the text "the issue has been fixed" ... I thought for sure they didn't fix it and just closed the ticket. Somehow the problem has been gone since last night. Same for my neighbor. I messaged Rogers on Twitter and they said there was no area issue, that the tech support agent I spoke to who said 33 percent of my area had a low signal was essentially wrong to refer it to maintenance.... & Yet the issue is mysteriously gone. I find myself rather curious about how it was solved? Did maintenance refresh the node or something? And I'm worried the issue will return. Seems like maintenance did something rather quickly after that ticket was open. But took so long to get them involved....

billiamwild
I've been here awhile

Intermittent Ethernet and Wi-Fi disconnects

We have had Ignite 150u since May of this year with no problems. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, our Wi-Fi would stop working intermittently and randomly throughout the day, every 5 - 20 mins.  The disconnects are so bad that zoom meetings/classes and online gaming are almost impossible. We have had technicians replace the modem, as well as connectors in our apartment and inside our building, and nothing has worked so far.  Here is what we have noticed:

• Doesn't seem to depend on the time of day
  • Happens on all devices, affects any online game or streaming
  • Affects Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected devices
  • Download and upload speeds are normal between cut-outs
  • Light on our black XB6 stays solid white

Some specialists are able to notice the problem over the phone, but it happens so quickly that some don't seem to notice anything. I spoke with a senior technician today who provided me with a reference number, and said that they would "look into it" and I would receive a text within 2 days about the status. I am pessimistic about this to say the least, frustrated since this has been going on for weeks, and would appreciate any and all help.

Downstream:

IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation

693 MHz
279 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
591 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz