Ignite phone and home alarm system

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite phone and home alarm system

Hello all

Here is update on my issue. I called Rogers yesterday and explained the issue and offered them solution as well to move my ignite modem which (I am using as a bridge only because I have Orbi's netwrok) to basement so that they can patch phone lines back again and I patched Ethernet cable to second floor where my Orbi is setup. Today, Rogers technicians came and they moved my ignite modem in the basement and reconnected alarm system back and all good now. I called alarm company to test the line. Everything working fine now. Thanks all for your invaluable feedback.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that is amazing, great stuff and congrats for them fixing your issue.

since you have a wifi extender called Orbi that is good it means you can put your modem in the basement and your wifi will be upstairs, not everyone has an orbi so good for you for investing in one of these.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, it was great that Rogers fixed the issue. I have a bit complicated setup so I had to guide them as well. My all rooms are patched with CAT 5e which supports gigabit data transfer. All rooms are connected to 8 port switch in the basement with NAS storage connected to it in the basement. Due to alarm system setup in the basement, I was forced to setup Rogers Ignite modem in the basement. I connected family room Orbi router  to Ignite mode (running in bridge mode). Then I connected my 8 port switch in family room to Orbi router to connect all devices. Everything seemed up and running and I was very happy until I went to bed to play music from my basement multimedia drives on Sonos speaker that I found out that basement switch did not have any connectivity. Next day, I moved Orbi satellite to other bedroom and connected it wirelessly and then ran ethernet cable out from Orbi to my wall jack to give life to switch in the basement. Now everything working fine. It is bit complicated but it works...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155  I also have a similar setup to yours in that I have my XB6 in the basement, next to my alarm panel and where all cable/telecom facilities enter my home.  My XB6 is is Bridge Mode, I use my own router, the Cat 5e cabling throughout by home also runs to the same location in the basement and connects either to a backbone LAN switch or gets patched in for telephone, and I currently have Wi-Fi mesh hardware (in bridge mode) with nodes on the main and upper floors.

Not sure if this is something that you would be willing to consider but it might be a cleaner setup (for now) to put your XB6 into Gateway mode, keep your main network switch in your basement and uplink it to the XB6 and put your Orbi mesh into bridge mode.  Your NAS unit can then go back in the basement and you can protect all of your critical gear with a UPS.

I Plan to Stick Around

@-G-  Thanks for your update and advice. Yes, we both have very identical setup. My NAS drives are still in basement. I did not try putting Orbi router and satellite in AP mode yet with fear that it might screw up wifi password etc. on my 40+ wifi devices. It is not fun configuring so many devices again. But I will try to bake SSID identical to Orbi and same subnet to see how it goes. if it works then fine otherwise rollback to original settings. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 wrote:

@-G-  Thanks for your update and advice. Yes, we both have very identical setup. My NAS drives are still in basement. I did not try putting Orbi router and satellite in AP mode yet with fear that it might screw up wifi password etc. on my 40+ wifi devices. It is not fun configuring so many devices again. But I will try to bake SSID identical to Orbi and same subnet to see how it goes. if it works then fine otherwise rollback to original settings. 

Wow, that is A LOT of devices on Wi-Fi.  If you decide to make the switch, plan carefully.  If your current setup works well, that's also a perfectly good reason to leave things as they are, or at least to not rush into making any changes.  I like the Orbi hardware but don't have any experience using them, so I am not familiar with their quirks or know if they will perform any better or worse in bridge/AP mode.

I am nervous about whether the XB6's Wi-Fi connectivity (from your basement) will be solid and stable enough to temporarily replace your Orbi mesh... but it will reveal whether there will be any issues with changing the IPv4 addressing scheme for your internal LAN or if you will run into any other issues with the XB6 in gateway mode.

Another interim step that you can consider taking is to place the XB6 into Gateway mode and leave your Orbi (and everything that is connected to it) as is.  You can then connect some devices directly to the XB6 (via Ethernet or to a separate test Wi-Fi SSID) for testing to confirm that the XB6's firewall will not break any of your critical applications.  (e.g. some have experienced problems with VPN clients disconnecting, etc.)  You'll be in a double-NAT situation for a while but it could be a less disruptive way to do validation testing.

FYI: For those Ignite TV customers that use a Rogers-provided eero mesh, their setup has the XB6 in Gateway mode (with its Wi-Fi disabled) and the eero Hub in bridge mode... so this is a well-tested configuration.  I ran in a similar configuration for a while (with a Velop mesh rather than the eero) without any issues.