Ignite gigabit with Eero wall to wall wifi giving me slow speeds???

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Ignite gigabit with Eero wall to wall wifi giving me slow speeds???

Just recently signed up for rogers ignite bundle and got the gigabit internet. When the technician arrived he recommended wall to wall wifi by eero because he said my house is big and I would need it for stable internet. He installed the eero which is costing me an additional $10 per month with each additional hub installed around my house costing $4 each per month. He installed 3 hubs in total. I noticed that through speedtests, on my devices using wifi im only averaging about 40 mb/s down and 30 mb/s up. On my wired devices I'm getting 160 mb/s down and only 8 up which makes no sense. I feel like the speeds were better when I had the 150 mb/s internet package with Rogers. I'm scared to disable eero and try speeds with the gigabit modem itself as I might mess it up. I will call for a technician but was wondering if anyone else knows whats up.

***Added Labels***
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite gigabit with Eero wall to wall wifi giving me slow speeds???

When testing wired, is it through the wired port on the Eero? or the wired port on the modem itself.

If your only getting 160, it would more say that its directly a modem issue, and not the Eero.

(eg, Wired to the modem, on the 500mbps plan, i pull pretty much that.. wireless through my error can pull anywhere up to 400odd)

Getting 160.. sounds almost like your plan never changed..

I Plan to Stick Around

@ramydenton
I feel your pain ! I have 4 ignite receivers , 1gb plan and eero (with 2 beacons). As per the speed test history run daily by eero ( app shows a 30 day test result log) my speed are averaging 375-450 mbps , occasional 600 mark and on days that I have called in to tech support they ramp up to where they should be (high 800 ) - only to drop back to 300s 12 hours later.
I am having one ( not specific to one it varies ) of the four receivers “ lost platform connectivity”
All four TVs have an unobstructed “view” ( for lack of a better word) of a beacon. Several times a week (close to daily) one of the receivers will drop from the network and require reboot and/or reconnect ( re enter wifi details) also when looking at the map of what device is connected to what beacon/access point .... have noticed that often the devices ( specifically tv receivers ) are connecting to the beacon that is the worst possible connection ( and weakest)
Receivers on the 2nd floor will take preference to the beacon on the first floor and vice versa. And this leaves the signal strength so low that it struggles with the beacon until it literally gets booted off before it (tv) will pick up the one within range (eventually going back to the low signal beacon).

I have had tech after tech and senior techs and eero customer tech support on it and they manage to get me up to a workable speed ... only temporarily though.

I have only got 13 devices connected on network , 4 of which are receivers , 2 lightbulbs , Alexa and the rest are phones. I am not sure if the eero system is the problem ... but as per the techs , it is a must in order for me to get the receivers the connection

It’s frustrating !! My cable goes out more than I do !!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I only have the 500.. so i dont know about what should be normal on the Eero speed test.
I am getting around 590 regularly on the tests.

When I was having similar issues on one of my boxes, I called in.
They had me go into the WIFI for it, and ran me through re-connecting it.. and ensuring that it was connected to the CLOSEST eero.  My guess is that yours is preferenc-ing the wrong one.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty

Seems your 500 service gets better speed than my gig does ( I’m lucky to see 590mbps- especially “regularly”)
As far as the receiver drop offs - it’s not limited to one particular box that drops. Of the 4 I have -all of them have been the “booted” one , it is luck of the draw. Although the main receiver is most frequent. Every time one drops - it requires doing the wifi setup/reconnect to get it back on. None of the 4 receivers seem to connect to the most logical ( closest) eero... in fact they seem to prefer the least practical point ( different floor and furthest one away). Unfortunately there is no way to control which eero the receiver chooses. Even when I restart the eero to get the receiver to move to another beacon , it ( receiver) eventually goes back to the eero that is furthest.

I believe that the low unstable speed I’m getting has everything to do with the receivers dropping. The lower speed cannot support 4 receivers (remaining stable). My speed will go from 890 to 302 in literally 45 seconds ( the speed I should be getting -8-900s will not hold, takes a dramatic plummet in seconds )

Good morning @Redzzzz!

Welcome to our Community!

You've got a perplexing issue here with your Eero setup. I have some ideas as far as troubleshooting this but since you've had a senior tech out already, I want to ensure that I'm not repeating any steps you may have already taken.

May I ask you to PM us @CommunityHelps so I can have a look at your account notes and better familiarize myself with your concern? If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey