Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Its possible its something back end.

Different areas, would be served from different outbound servers... so its possible one area is having an issue, overloaded, etc. vs another.
(Did some comparisons with someone a while back, where everything else appeared ok, where they were having the issue at the time but I wasnt (and I lived in another area))

The BIG issue I see otherwise with these.. is that they are so internet dependent, that everything needs to be perfect.
While someone could have got away with just OK wifi in their house before, not necessarily so much with this.  Having good wifi in the house needs to be GREAT to ensure no issues from that end.
Sometimes one setting or change could fix it.. unfortunately requires troubleshooting.
Especially in cases of people who live in close quarters (townhouses, apartments, etc), could be something as simple as interference.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have exact issue in Richmond Hill (Close to Bayview and Elgin Mills). 5 tech and checked everything and still same isse.

Starts anytime between 7 PM and 11:30 PM!

To me looks like load issue. More people watch in my area more freezing...

Cant understand how Rogers cant detect this on their end and fix it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is actually pretty easy to figure out.  All anyone has to do is look at the load data for the neighbourhood node that you're connected to and the CMTS load that the neighbourhood node is connected to.  That data is probably collected minute to minute, or less.  Just requires a network engineer or Tier II tech to look at the numbers.  In the case of the neighbourhood node, if the numbers indicate very high loads, and I don't know what that cut-off point is, someone will make the decision to split the node into two nodes or more, reducing the load on each node.  The same probably applies to the CMTS.  Just a matter of looking at the numbers.  The Tier I tech that you chat with won't be able to help you.  You need to speak with someone higher than a Tier I tech. 

Just to add to the discussion, if everything you use is connected to wifi, that brings wifi channel usage into the discussion, which includes all of your neighbours who happen to be using the same wifi channels.  So, you would have to know whether or not that contributes to the problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

" This is actually pretty easy to figure out."

Datalink, Tell that to Rogers!!!

Having this issue on and off go past year!

Between this issue and screen res goes down to 480 in the middle of watching live or recorded shows...

I Plan to Stick Around

All my TV boxes are connected via cat 6 directly from back of the Rogers Modem
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seadooxp30 wrote:
All my TV boxes are connected via cat 6 directly from back of the Rogers Modem

^^ That said, what is the status of the Wi-Fi connection on the Xi6 set-top box?  What is it connected to (the Rogers modem or another access point?) and what is its signal strength?  The Xi6 will maintain a wireless connection even when connected using wired Ethernet.  I know this sounds crazy but when doing some testing a few months ago, my wired Xi6 experienced the same problems that you did when it connected to an Access Point that I was testing.  Even though the set-top box wasn't using the wireless connection to send or receive data, I was getting constant video freezes and audio drop-outs when it was connected to the unstable wireless network.  (The problem went away immediately when I powered off the problematic AP ...and came back when I powered the AP on again ...and went away when I made a configuration change.)

I'm grasping at straws.  If network conditions get bad enough that you start streaming at a lower bitrates, Rogers should see any one of a number of problems when they perform their tests.

What results do you get when you perform an Internet speed test?

I'm also assuming that your network jacks and Ethernet patch cables are good.  I don't know if Rogers has any way to check for MAC errors on the XB6's LAN ports.

Do you see the same problems if you disconnect the Ethernet cable on the Xi6 and connect to the network through Wi-Fi?

I Plan to Stick Around

My Xi6 boxes are directly going to 4 port switch that was provided by Rogers and back to one of the ports on Rogers Modem.

Its crazy that it tries to use wifi even when its connected via wired.

What is  the easy way to test wifi on Xi6 boxes?

Is there any option to compeletly disable wifi on Xi6?

BTW- I'm on gigabite internet and get almost 950 on wired PC/Mac and  500 on  Wireless AC.

During freezing, it will be little slower but not much. Down to 700 range 

I Plan to Stick Around

sorry forgot to mention that network jacks and Ethernet patch cables are good since this issue only starts around 7 PM to midnight...

During the day its fine 

I'm suspecting backend bandwidth server issue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seadooxp30 wrote:

My Xi6 boxes are directly going to 4 port switch that was provided by Rogers and back to one of the ports on Rogers Modem.

That's an unmanaged switch so you won't be able to get any port stats from that.

What is  the easy way to test wifi on Xi6 boxes? 

There are two places (that I know of) to check the Wi-Fi status:

In "Settings > Device Settings > Network" ; It will display the SSID that you are connected to and whether the signal strength is weak, poor, good or excellent.  (If your Xi6 is not associated with any access point, no SSID will be displayed and the WiFi signal strength will show as weak.)

You can also get additional information as follows: Press and hold the "Exit" button on your remote for three seconds, then key in: "⬇️ ⬇️ 2" and go to the "WiFi Details" section.  (If your Xi6 is not associated with any access point, the status will be Not Connected and the RSSI will be 0.)

FYI, I retested a set-top box with only a wired connection, no wireless, and it seemed to work fine.

Is there any option to compeletly disable wifi on Xi6?

No.  Even if wireless is disabled on the XB6 in your admin settings, it still has some networks active with hidden SSIDs.

I performed a Wi-Fi scan of my area and then manually assigned channels that are neither good nor bad so as not to mess up auto channel selection for any AP's in my area, then I disabled Wi-Fi on the XB6.  The manual channel settings stuck for the hidden networks.  Not a perfect solution but that's the best that we can do to minimize poisoning the local airspace.

BTW- I'm on gigabite internet and get almost 950 on wired PC/Mac and  500 on  Wireless AC.

During freezing, it will be little slower but not much. Down to 700 range 

I have a 150Mb/s service and 3 set-top boxes and my Ignite TV service (so far) has been rock-solid.  I'm in the northeast part of the GTA ,formerly Shaw territory, so we may or may not be served by the same back-end infrastructure.

I Plan to Stick Around

The technician had to come in and change out the wire from the pole to the house. Everything works Flawless now with the TV and no more freezing up. Wi-Fi averaging 250-300 download speeds