Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

This is easily the worst service I've ever signed up for. My Tvs are constantly freezing and cutting out audio and the image is always pixelated. I've made calls about this and the tech over the phone will restart my service from their end which fixes the problem for about an hour. The crazy thing is that should have nothing to do with distance from the main modem as both my Tvs are on the same floor.. One TV is in the exact same room. Anyone have any fixes for this?? I have about 4 or so months left on this contract and can't wait to cancel!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ian05 wrote:

This is easily the worst service I've ever signed up for. My Tvs are constantly freezing and cutting out audio and the image is always pixelated.

Always pixelated?  That's strange.  This isn't the Digital TV service.  Ignite TV is a streaming service, like Netflix and YouTube.  If there's a problem, I can see the video freezing and/or the audio dropping out but never pixellation or macroblocking.

I've made calls about this and the tech over the phone will restart my service from their end which fixes the problem for about an hour.

Since you've been in contact with Rogers Tech Support, I presume that they didn't see any problem with signal levels to your modem or any other problems with your Internet connection.

The crazy thing is that should have nothing to do with distance from the main modem as both my Tvs are on the same floor.. One TV is in the exact same room. Anyone have any fixes for this?? I have about 4 or so months left on this contract and can't wait to cancel!!

If you ever have start experiencing major problems with Ignite TV, the first thing that you should do is reset your modem by power-cycling it.  Pull the power plug, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in again.  Wait for the status LED to turn solid white.  Next, power cycle each set-top box.  (The order matters. The modem needs to be reset first.)

If you are still experiencing problems, it's most likely due to a Wi-Fi issue.  Does the problem go away of you connect the set-top box directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable?

Wi-Fi problems typically will affect all devices on the same channel, regardless of how close you are to the modem.  Only one device can transmit on a given frequency at a time... otherwise the competing signals will just tromp over each other and get scrambled.  If you have a Wi-Fi device with a poor connection that is very active, it's transmission speed will drop because it needs to use a less efficient data encoding scheme.  That slow device will also use more air time when it transmits and other devices on the same channel/frequency need to wait for the channel to become idle.  If you and somebody nearby are using the same Wi-Fi channel/frequencies, their Wi-Fi problems will affect your Wi-Fi performance as well.

Most computers and many mobile devices can display the wireless networks that are in range and the channels that they are using.  Make sure that you are using a different 5 GHz channel than anybody else and the best 2.4 GHz channel that is available.  If your modem is using Auto channel selection, manually configure the optimal Wi-Fi channel in your modem's Wi-Fi settings.

You can also further troubleshoot Wi-Fi issues is by installing a Wi-Fi analyzer app on a computer or mobile device.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We have had Ignite TV since August of 2019, we have had tech support here several times. TV freezes to the point where it is unwatchable. Just had this evening a Senior Technician come out, all he could do was send in a report. He informed us that Rogers had underestimated the bandwidth the ignite TV would use by terabytes., And this issue was very common in this area, nothing could be done to fix it. So we are paying significant money to Rogers for TV that doesn't work.

Highlighted

Hello, @Btdunn

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have a TV service that is constantly freezing up on you making it impossible to enjoy the service.

We'd like to review all of the notes on file to see what was done thus far and review the senior technician notes to see if there are any possible solutions recommended. Please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started.

Not familiar with our Private Messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been using ignite TV for over 1.5 year now...

Finally after one year got stable system (Mostly!!!)

starting last week this issue back again and since last night internet and TV and phone went out!

They are blaming it on rain and snow.

Come one Rogers. You advertise 5G but cant get your line to function in snow and rain!!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am have similar experience as noted already system freezing .. system restarting in the middle of a program for no reason.. but 4K is almost unwatchable as it freezes on a regular basis. I have upgraded my internet signal & Rogers put the internet box extenders but problem is unresolved.

Highlighted

Hello,

@seadooxp30 - Thank you for working with us in the PM, and I'm glad that the issue has been resolved. 

@boballeis - Thank you for joining our Community and posting your concern. Undoubtedly, the frequent freezing of the system can hamper the Ignite TV experience. We can look into troubleshooting your connection; please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got this installed yesterday and I've noticed every now and then the TV would freeze up or the audio would drop for 3-5 seconds. Also I've noticed I was getting around 400speed on download with 5G and a 100 at 2.4. now I'm getting about 10 to 50 megabytes on 5G but mostly around 15 megabytes per second. is this normal where I just had it installed yesterday or something wrong with it?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Been on Ignite for 4 months now. The freezing and audio stall has become normal, I contacted Rogers several times, reset the box, changed the box, changed to ethernet from modem, nothing helps. I just see an ever growing problem Rogers has with IPTV.
No issues with the internet speed that I have had so far.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. They are sending someone out on tues to look into it. If not fixed I will be going back to Bell.