Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

I am having these exact issues too. Picture freezes in the middle of a basketball game, channels take 5-7 seconds to switch, sometimes I get no audio, sometimes I get no picture, only audio. Bottom line is that Ignite TV IS HORRIBLE. I seriously regret getting this. Clearly Rogers has released a faulty, glitchy product. They know they have major issues but they just act all surprised and innocent. I’ve reset it countless times and called the Ignite “Concierge” (which we all know is just marketing puffery to make you feel special), and they opened and closed my ticket without ever doing anything. I am going to switch to Bell.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BrendanCharles wrote:
channels take 5-7 seconds to switch, sometimes I get no audio, sometimes I get no picture, only audio.

You should be able to fix this by first power-cycling your modem, wait for the status LED to turn solid white, then power-cycle your set-top boxes.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Power cycling my modem? Huh? Sorry, I know you’re trying to help, but this is all ridiculous; I shouldn’t have to power cycle anything. Tech guy last night said he was going to boost my signal. Nothing happened. Watching the basketball game now and I’m missing entire baskets because of random freezing. Took 10 seconds for the picture to come through when I changed to the 4K channel. Just a terrible, glitchy product. Stay away, people...
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BrendanCharles wrote:
Power cycling my modem? Huh? Sorry, I know you’re trying to help, but this is all ridiculous; I shouldn’t have to power cycle anything. Tech guy last night said he was going to boost my signal. Nothing happened.

Yes, you need to power cycle your modem.  The problem that you described is caused by broken IPv6 network connectivity, which is why it is taking so long for the network stream to establish when you change channels.  It's not a problem with your set-top box or your Wi-Fi or the signal to your modem or the Rogers' back-end infrastructure; it's a simple network glitch that's easily fixed by resetting your modem.

(FYI, this has also happened to be a few times.  Since I use my own router, all that I need to do to is restart the IPv6 WAN interface and everything goes back to normal immediately.)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have had the same issue for the box in my bedroom. It freezes all the time, or and the sound cuts off. I have had this concern addressed, and within the last two months, I have another technician coming over next week and that is when I had one just last Wednesday who came over and updated the box software ????? My signals are fine and they even installed two pods. Now they say the box will have to be replaced. So will see if that fixes the problem. Not impressed with the new Roger Ignite however like the voice control.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My neighbour who had Ignite installed a day before me is experiencing a problem.

This problem is intermittent.

When she turns the TV on the three dots come up on screen and the channel doesn't come on.

Unplugging the Xi6-T waiting a minute and plugging it back in resolves the issue.....until the next time.

Would power cycling the system be the next step in attempting to fix the problem?

Is the proper procedure to do this is unplug both the XB6-T and Xi6-T, then first plug in the modem, wait for the white light, then plug in the TV box?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@newigniteguy wrote:

My neighbour who had Ignite installed a day before me is experiencing a problem.

This problem is intermittent.

When she turns the TV on the three dots come up on screen and the channel doesn't come on.

Unplugging the Xi6-T waiting a minute and plugging it back in resolves the issue.....until the next time.

I'm actually very surprised that resetting the set-top box had any effect whatsoever.  Ignite TV is very different from Digital Cable; it's a streaming service that runs on top of the IPv6, the next-generation Internet Protocol that will (eventually) replace IPv4.  What's happening in this case is that it's taking a log time for the stream to establish, most likely due to a problem with IPv6 connectivity.  When the stream fails to establish, the set-top box will fall back to using IPv4... but not until the initial connection attempt times out.

Would power cycling the system be the next step in attempting to fix the problem?

Is the proper procedure to do this is unplug both the XB6-T and Xi6-T, then first plug in the modem, wait for the white light, then plug in the TV box?

Yes.  Actually, when this problem arises, the first thing that you should do is power-cycle the modem; that should fix the network connectivity issue.  When the status LED on the modem turns solid white, I would then power-cycle the set-top boxes to reset them and their connection to the network.

Hopefully, it will not be necessary to do this very often, but the reset procedure takes less that 5 minutes... after which, everything should be back to normal again.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WineDiva wrote:

I have had the same issue for the box in my bedroom. It freezes all the time, or and the sound cuts off. I have had this concern addressed, and within the last two months, I have another technician coming over next week and that is when I had one just last Wednesday who came over and updated the box software ????? My signals are fine and they even installed two pods. Now they say the box will have to be replaced. So will see if that fixes the problem. Not impressed with the new Roger Ignite however like the voice control.

Unlike the previous issue, this is a problem with the set-top box not a network problem.  The picture freeze and/or sound dropping out (lasting a few seconds at a time) occurs when the STB fails to process a "segment" in the in the video stream, either due to a network problem or because the box itself was busy, or due to a hardware/software problem in the box itself.  Power-cycling the set-top box will usually fix this issue.  If it does not, and your other STBs are working fine, you should call Rogers tech support for further assistance.

Highlighted

@WineDiva wrote:

Unlike the previous issue, this is a problem with the set-top box not a network problem.  The picture freeze and/or sound dropping out (lasting a few seconds at a time) occurs when the STB fails to process a "segment" in the in the video stream, either due to a network problem or because the box itself was busy, or due to a hardware/software problem in the box itself.  Power-cycling the set-top box will usually fix this issue.  If it does not, and your other STBs are working fine, you should call Rogers tech support  PM @CommunityHelps for further assistance here on the forums.

FTFY 😉 Thanks @-G-!

Hi @WineDiva!

Welcome to our Community.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey wrote:

If it does not, and your other STBs are working fine, you should call Rogers tech support  PM @CommunityHelps for further assistance here on the forums.

FTFY 😉 Thanks @-G-!

Thanks, @RogersCorey .  Yes, indeed!  The @CommunityHelps  team is an amazing and tremendously helpful group of people!