Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

@chomyn  If your Internet connection is healthy and your in-home network works well, then Ignite TV should also work well.  An HD channel only requires 10 Mb/s of bandwidth.  If it can't get that, then you will see audio and video drop-outs.

Even if your set-top box has a good Wi-Fi connection, there are other factors that can severely impact Wi-Fi performance.  If you have Pods installed, they need to be placed in an intermediate location that has excellent connectivity to the Ignite gateway.  If you place a Pod in a room with poor Wi-Fi connectivity back to the modem, it will actually make your Wi-Fi problems worse.  If you have a number of active devices on your Wi-Fi network with poor connectivity, that will also negatively impact the Wi-Fi performance of all other devices on that network.  You will also experience problems if you share Wi-Fi channels with a neighbouring Wi-Fi network that is performing poorly.

If you are getting extreme latency spikes on your Internet connection and/or severe-enough packet loss, that could impact Ignite TV, and you may not experience any issues through normal web browsing.

It's also possible that you could have a faulty set-top box.

Linda521
I've Been Here Awhile

I have Rogers Ignite and it is constantly freezing and unfreezing for about a minute before freezing again.  This seems to happen often in the afternoon but has been constant since 9:00 this morning.  Very frustrating.  It is not my internet or wifi as I have been working on the computer all morning with no disruptions.  I am new to Rogers Ignite (2 months) and am not sure if this is a constant issue for others and if there is a fix for this ongoing problem?

I have been experiencing my TV freezing and often going to a black screen all morning.  This happens sporadically on many days but today it is consistant.  I have tried changing the channel but it is occurring on all stations. It is not my wifi or internet as I have been on my computer all day with no issues.  What is the problem and how do I fix it.

Any help is appreciated.

My pod and modem are in the same room - almost side by side so it is not an issue of it having a poor connection.  Is there any other reason or should I address this directly with Rogers

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Linda521 wrote:

My pod and modem are in the same room - almost side by side so it is not an issue of it having a poor connection.  Is there any other reason or should I address this directly with Rogers?

Why would you place a Pod in the same room as your Ignite WiFi modem?  There is no benefit to doing this and it will likely also cause problems.  You should unplug this Pod.

FrustrateAnn
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Rogers 

my ignite cable tv keeps freezing. Please tell me the fix thanks 

RosalieFerber
I've Been Around

I have not had a tec out to investigate, I've only had Ignite for a few days and was hoping there was a quick fix!

RogersAndy

Hey @FrustrateAnn!

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your IgniteTV, we'd be happy to help. To get started, can you confirm the following for us?

Have you reached out to support?

Have you tried rebooting the modem and the set top box?

Are any of your other devices having WiFi connectivity issues?

How far is the set top box from your modem?

Are you using WiFi pods? Or just the Rogers modem for your WiFi?

Thanks!

@RogersAndy

FrustrateAnn
I've Been Here Awhile

I did the unplugging of the modem and got the help menu up on the screen from my remote and did the reset. The reset seem to work for now. Would recordings be an issue. And should I do a reset regularly. Is it like a storage clean up when you reset? Thanks
RogersAndy

Hey @RosalieFerber!

Welcome to the community!

I would definitely recommend reaching out for support as the most common cause for this issue would be WiFi related. The health of your WiFi can be checked by support and options provided to improve the situation where required.

If a reset though is needed of your device that's totally doable as well.

Thanks @FrustrateAnn, I'm glad to hear it's ok now! This shouldn't have to occur again, if the freezing returns I would recommend reaching out to support for sure as it's likely something else. As for recordings, those are saved in the cloud so you're good there!

@RogersAndy