Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Just to give you some background, I was a Rogers VIP Cable customer along with the 500 Mbit internet package with the CODA modem.  My promotion ended and I was offered this Ignite TV with a newer modem and was told the image quality and experience was the same.  What I am finding is that the picture studders and the sound breaks up at times and this occurs across all of my TVs (Sony and LG).  In terms of connection, I just have the main wire connect to the modem with no other connections/splits.  I have tried connecting the Ignite box to ethernet or wifi and the experience is the same.

Is this the norm for this service and was I duped to believe that it would be better?  I would think with less cable connections the signal would be better.

Also, how do I turn the box off as it does not look like it goes off.

Thanks

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Help please

New to ignite tv, had it installed 7 days ago.  Worked flawless for the first 5 days then picture on all (4) tv's began freezing intermittently for minutes at a time.  Had two techs out on day 6 and 7 .  Had a connection replaced, worked for a couple of hours then returned to freezing intermittently.  Another tech replaced the modem then stated  it is probably issues with neighborhood "node"  he said hopefully someone would be out to  look at it next week??   I'm becoming increasing frustrated, home phone also has intermittent issues, internet on devices seems to be ok.  I have 3 wifi pods one on each floor of house - could this be the issue?  Not sure when another tech will be out to look at connections or lines outside.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard some weird things with the pods for some people lately.
That might be worth a shot initially... unplug the pods.
Your wireless range may not be as good, etc.. ones further from the modem may have problems due to distance.. but would give a better test for the ones closer to it.. see if you are experiencing the same issues/drops.

Beyond that might be the node.. which unfortunately needs to be looked at by higher ups than the regular techs 😞
(assuming the techs looked at your signal levels, etc).

Generally, assuming that everything is good (signals, node level, etc) generally there should not be problems.  I have had ignite since day one, and dont experience any of the drops that others sometimes report, etc 😞

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dennis101 wrote:

Another tech replaced the modem then stated  it is probably issues with neighborhood "node"  he said hopefully someone would be out to  look at it next week??

Many users have reported problems with the node/CMTS causing extreme latency and packet loss and this can certainly cause the problems that you are seeing with your Ignite TV service.  An easy way to check for this is to run a "ping test" for one hour.

On macOS/Linux, open a terminal window and issue the following command: ping -c 3600 8.8.8.8

On Windows, open a Command window and issue the following command: ping -n 3600 8.8.8.8

This command will send pings every second for 3600 seconds to a Google DNS server and will display summary stats at the end.  If you see many ping timeouts and/or round trip times exceeding 1000 ms to Google (and no problems when pinging your local router, 10.0.0.1)  then the problem is being caused by your neighbourhood node and there is nothing that you yourself can do to fix it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, time to figure it out, people are having issues. Period. 

Moved to Ignite a few nights ago, I sure hope this isn't the norm.  TV lags, freezes, volume lags etc.  Internet never consistent, 1 minute fine, next minute absolutely brutal.  Charging people what you charge for a service that obviously has issues just blows my mind....watching tv as i write this and has literally froze 6 or 7 times.

Figure it out, please.There is a problem with your technology.

Very unhappy camper.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CARASTEVENS wrote:

Rogers, time to figure it out, people are having issues. Period. 

Moved to Ignite a few nights ago, I sure hope this isn't the norm.  TV lags, freezes, volume lags etc.  Internet never consistent, 1 minute fine, next minute absolutely brutal.  Charging people what you charge for a service that obviously has issues just blows my mind....watching tv as i write this and has literally froze 6 or 7 times.

Figure it out, please.There is a problem with your technology.

Very unhappy camper.

This can be a very frustrating issue to get resolved, and part of the problem is that Tech Support can only test the signal to your modem and they likely will not see any problems at all.

Can you try performing the "ping test" that I spoke about in my previous post, as soon as you start seeing your TV picture cut out?  Note the exact time that you started the test.  It you see many time outs and/or many round trip times exceeding 1000 ms, save a copy of the output and report the issue by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps .  They can assist you in troubleshooting the issue further and open a ticket on your behalf, and they will attach your test results for further investigation by the network teams.

If you are getting constant, regular ping freezes, you will also need to do a "traceroute" test.  Go to http://10.0.0.1 and log into your modem.  Navigate to "Troubleshooting > Network Diagnostic Tools", scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Traceroute Results" section and enter "8.8.8.8" (enter an "8" into each box) into the IPv4 Address field.  Click the "START TRACEROUTE" button to verify that it works.  If you keep getting a "*" on the first hop, that's noteworthy... but will also make this next test a bit pointless.  If you are getting a valid RTT for the first hop, which should be your CMTS router, then get ready to perform another traceroute:

Have a section of your "ping test" window visible in the background and wait for the ping output to freeze.  The INSTANT that it does, click the "START TRACEROUTE" button on your modem and save a copy of the output.  Hopefully, what you will see is the first hop taking several thousand milliseconds and the subsequent hops taking < 20 ms.  That will prove that your local node is freezing and not forwarding network packets.  (and THAT would be what is causing your audio and video dropouts.)  Save a copy of the traceroute output and include it in your report to the Community Helps team.

Hopefully the Rogers support teams can help to get this problem fixed for you soon.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I appreciate your response and although I am pretty good with technology, conducting ping test, traceroute stuff might be better handled by a technician lol. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@

If you provide your ping report once you get higher tier technician, it helps.

They never admit that there is issue but eventually they fix it.

It took almost 6 weeks for me to get resolved.

They always deny any issue but magically everything sorted out.

BTW- insist on maintenance team to look at log file for past 7 days. They will see the same spike that you see in your ping.

Special thanks to @ -G- for providing guidance to people on this forum 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CARASTEVENS wrote:

I appreciate your response and although I am pretty good with technology, conducting ping test, traceroute stuff might be better handled by a technician lol. 

I don't think that your problem is being caused by a faulty line, poor signal to your modem or any in-home issues, so this likely is not something that the normal, average, everyday technician can troubleshoot or fix.

Ignite TV is not affected much by minor network issues... but some of us have experienced problems where the local neighbourhood node (the piece of equipment that exchanges network traffic between your modem and other parts of the Rogers network) stops moving network traffic for a several seconds at a time.  With Ignite TV, your TV channels get streamed, similar to how Netflix works.  Depending on the length of the interruption in packet flow and whether or not any network data gets dropped, you may see audio drop-outs or video freezing, or even a black screen.

If you call into Tech Support, they have the tools to troubleshoot problems affecting your home and will dispatch a technician to deal with any problems that cannot be fixed remotely.  It is also assumed that another team altogether is keeping other parts of the Rogers network in tip-top shape.  When you see glitches with your Ignite TV service, a ping test can confirm whether or not your area is suffering from extreme network latency spikes and packet loss, a problem that can only be fixed by the network engineers.

@seadooxp30  Thanks for the kind words.  I really appreciate it!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

FYI for anyone that still have this issue...

Looks like my issue is resolved by latest firmware and MAYBE something from node or back end

latest firmware is

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p4s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0