I've been here awhile

Hi Rogers 

my ignite cable tv keeps freezing. Please tell me the fix thanks 

*Added Labels*

52 REPLIES 52

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

RogersMaude

Hey @BLW,

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. We're sorry to learn you're not impressed with your Ignite TV services so far. We want to help!

Have you had a chance to review @RogersYasmine's post above? I would be helpful if you could provide the answers to some of these questions, as well as more information and elaborate on the troubleshooting steps you've performed so far.

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

BLW
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your response.

- Have you spoken to anyone from our technical support team about this? And what was the outcome?

Yes I did talk to tech support.  They asked me to reset the box from the settings menu - an option I did not know existed.  I did this (and have also rebooted the modem and box) but it made no difference.  So they have escalated this to the engineering team and I should hear back at some point. 

Right now, basically any time I try to fast forward at high speed now my entire system freezes and I have to reboot the box to get anything to work.  However before this ( a recent problem) I had quite a few occasions when the stream would just freeze or work very slowly for periods of time.  

- Are any of your other devices having WiFi connectivity issues? (cellphones, laptops, tablets, etc.)

No.

- How far is the set-top box from your modem?

There is about 4-5 feet from box to modem.  It's hard to separate them by much more than that given the wiring.  

I also suggest that Rogers needs a much better trouble shooting section on the website.  This should include basic instructions on when you might need to reboot your box, or modem, or refresh.  It makes no sense to have to contact tech support to learn these things.  Also my support person did not know how the reset option was different from rebooting the box; he only knew that it sometimes solved problems like mine. 

I appreciate this forum but in my experience it's not easy to find relevant discussions on here that actually have solutions to common problems, so I think there should be a better Troubleshooting section.

Thank you

- Are you using WiFi pods? Or just the Rogers modem for your WiFi?

Greetings @BLW,

Thanks for sharing the above information with us, It's super helpful. We'd like to run diagnostics on the service and take next steps to address the issue.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersRahul

BLW
I plan to stick around

I've sent a message.

LosingPatience2
I plan to stick around
I’m having the same problem. My sound frequently goes out and then returns a couple seconds later. Tried unplugging the box but problem continues. None of these issues happened prior to when Rogers went down. I have to boxes and the same problem occurs for both.

@LosingPatience2  In my case, as far as I can tell, the audio/video dropouts are due to issues in the back-end, not at the edge of the network or due to any issues with in-home equipment.  Hopefully these A/V dropouts will resolve themselves once Rogers' internal networks stabilize.

KenGHolmes
I've been here awhile
I have tried all the fixes sugg3st3d and nothing helps. I live in Waterloo and every channel freezes, cuts out and does the same thing every few seconds

Rogers ignite cuts out every few seconds than goes to black for a few moments than picture comes back with both video and audio for a few seconds than process of freezing starts again. This has happened since Rogers got up and running. Not happy with them at all. Also in Waterloo.

Pekoelmo
I've been around
Ever since rogers lost the wifi my ignite doesn't work at all. I can reboot 20x a TV show doesn't change. You would think a company this big would be able fix issues like this more efficiently ad in a more timely manner.

jolu
I've been around

I am having the same issue since July 9 (a day after the infamous Rogers outage). Rebooting modem or Ignite TV box did not help. I never had this problem before the outage.

Streaming services such as Disney+, Netflix, etc do not seem to have any problem. Just all TV channels.

Readmewhy
I've been around

I am have the same issues, has this been resolved? TV shows keep freezing then the video starts again with no audio, then a couple seconds later the audio comes back. Then five minutes later it starts all over again. Very annoying!!! 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Readmewhy wrote:

I am have the same issues, has this been resolved? TV shows keep freezing then the video starts again with no audio, then a couple seconds later the audio comes back. Then five minutes later it starts all over again. Very annoying!!! 

There is really no problem with the Ignite TV service itself that needs to be resolved, at least as far as picture quality is concerned.  It should be glitch-free.  If your Internet service is working well and your in-home network/Wi-Fi are working well, then Ignite TV will work well.

Have you called into Rogers Tech Support (or sent a private message to @CommunityHelps ) and asked them to run tests on your Ignite services?

If your in-home Wi-Fi is not working well, that will have a HUGE negative impact on Ignite TV.  A poor-performing Wi-Fi network will also affect the performance of a set-top box that is located only a few feet away from the gateway itself.  Try connecting your set-top box to your Ignite gateway using an Ethernet cable.  If the problem goes away, then there is some kind of Wi-Fi issue that needs to be resolved.

It is also possible that you have defective hardware.  (I have seen audio/video dropouts on Ignite TV when I had a set-top box with a defective Wi-Fi module.)  If Rogers provides you with Ignite Pods to improve your Wi-Fi coverage, you can actually make your Wi-Fi problems worse unless you place them in an optimal location.  Unfortunately, we do not have great tools to assess the quality of our Wi-Fi.  (We can see the whether or not devices have a strong signal but cannot see the data rates on individual Wi-Fi connections, nor do we have any tools to diagnose any problems with the Wi-Fi on the Ignite gateway itself.)

If you could share more information about your setup and what you have tried so far to resolve your current issues, we (the Community) may be able help you troubleshoot further or offer you other suggestions.

mascf1
I'm a reliable contributor

My Ignite TV started doing this today and I had a tech out today that replaced the TV box and modem which did not resolve the issue.  I also changed the HDMI cable.  This only occurs watching TV and not with any streaming service that’s also comes through the Rogers TV box, so it’s clearly not an issue with the HDMI port on the TV.  I have eliminated all possible causes inside my home.

joolsca
I've been here awhile

This has started happening to me recently…is Rogers going to fix this issue?!

joolsca
I've been here awhile

what I have tried is to unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable to my TV and I think it’s fixed…

mascf1

I've had Rogers replace the modem and the STB and I replaced the HDMI cable.  None of this resolves the issue.  Rogers knows this is a widespread issue impacting many customers but has no ETA on when it will be resolved.

joolsca
I've been here awhile

Oddly…or may be typically, I seem to have most problems with Sportsnet and TSN🙄

mascf1

My issue was resolved yesterday.  Would like to know what the cause was.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

My issue was resolved yesterday.  Would like to know what the cause was.

Rogers does not tend to provide any explanation as to what caused any problem.  However, the Ignite TV glitches were almost certainly due back-end issues that I described in the last paragraph of this post: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Intermittent-screen-freezes-and-audio-dropout/m-p/50...

mascf1

They should be required to provide the source of the issue.  I've been working in IT for 34 years and root cause analysis of reported issues is mandatory when it has a wide impact as this did.

Rob652
I've been around

Same freezing issue. Unplugging and rebooting doesn't help. I am new to Rogers, I wish I checked the forum first. I thought they would know how to deliver proper TV service! 

Topic Stats