Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

FrustrateAnn
I've been here awhile

Hi Rogers 

my ignite cable tv keeps freezing. Please tell me the fix thanks 

*Added Labels*

52 REPLIES 52

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

I have not had a tec out to investigate, I've only had Ignite for a few days and was hoping there was a quick fix!

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @FrustrateAnn!

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your IgniteTV, we'd be happy to help. To get started, can you confirm the following for us?

Have you reached out to support?

Have you tried rebooting the modem and the set top box?

Are any of your other devices having WiFi connectivity issues?

How far is the set top box from your modem?

Are you using WiFi pods? Or just the Rogers modem for your WiFi?

Thanks!

@RogersAndy

FrustrateAnn
I've been here awhile
I did the unplugging of the modem and got the help menu up on the screen from my remote and did the reset. The reset seem to work for now. Would recordings be an issue. And should I do a reset regularly. Is it like a storage clean up when you reset? Thanks

Hey @RosalieFerber!

Welcome to the community!

I would definitely recommend reaching out for support as the most common cause for this issue would be WiFi related. The health of your WiFi can be checked by support and options provided to improve the situation where required.

If a reset though is needed of your device that's totally doable as well.

Thanks @FrustrateAnn, I'm glad to hear it's ok now! This shouldn't have to occur again, if the freezing returns I would recommend reaching out to support for sure as it's likely something else. As for recordings, those are saved in the cloud so you're good there!

@RogersAndy

Just got ignite installed by Rogers and they made a mess of my sound systems and Home technology - now the TV keeps stalling. Hard to watch the Euro Cup with the screen constantly freezing. Anyone else with same issues? How did you fix it? Seems like a waste of time and money

KSP1
I've been around
My ignite system is doing the same and it’s so frustrating! It’s really difficult to watch a show when it keeps freezing and dropping words. Sometimes it’s fine and then other times it keeps happening. So frustrating! I hate it!

Greetings @Delamere!

Welcome to our Community!

If you're experiencing a freezing picture with your Ignite TV, then you've come to the right place for support.

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Dire
I plan to stick around
Over the past 3 months or so, my ignite tv box will freeze up, but only when my PlayStation 5 goes online or when I try an internet speed check. Reseting or refreshing the tv box does nothing, but rebooting the modem does fix the issue but that tends to last a week before I have to do it again. The PlayStation 5 is directly connected to the modems Ethernet, while everything else connects either through pods or directly to the modem via wifi. I have noticed that the fan noise that comes from the modem has gotten quieter than usual.

I hoping I can fix the issue
myself so any insight would be appreciated thank you.

Greetings @Dire!

I'm curious to know if this issue only started after you got your PS5 or if it was present beforehand too.

Since the issue seems to only happen when you're going online with the PS5 or when you're doing a speed test, it sounds like a bandwidth issue to me but I just want to eliminate the chance that the PS5 is directly related before proceeding forward.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Dire
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply. It began to happen right after I got the ps5, almost a year ago. As I said it’s connected to the modem by Ethernet cable, I just noticed that when I disconnect the Ethernet from the ps5  and use wifi the freezing stops but download speeds drop considerably. Just today I got another freezing fit, I did a quick speed test and the download/upload speeds were 90 percent lower than normal. As I said rebooting returns everything back to normal but doing it every week or so is annoying.

mikbren
I've been around

Having a issue with volume cuts out and picture is freezing did a reboot but same problem

I just switched from Bell Fibe to Rogers Ignite. This is happening to me a lot. It’s very annoying. It never happened with Bell… hmmm. What will I / Rogers do to fix this? Anything?

Hello, @mikren & @Rbarnable.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for joining this conversation. Undoubtedly, video freezing and audio cutting out can be very annoying. This behaviour could happen when the WiFi network is not fully optimized.

Do the other devices stay connected to your home network?

Can you check the signal strength at your Ignite TV box? The instructions to check it are listed in one of the @G's  responses:

It's important that ALL WiFi devices on your network have a "good" WiFi connection; that means that they should have a signal strength of -65 dBm or better and that their WiFi connection uses an efficient modulation scheme. (To see the actual signal strength on the set-top box, you need to go into a diagnostic info screen by keying in the following sequence on the Rogers remote: Press and hold the Exit button for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 2". Go to the section where it says "WiFi Details". Press "Exit" to leave the info screen. There is no way to view the data rate on the WiFi connection.)

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

nash2409
I've been here awhile

Hi, 

I did this and it shows 35 for signal strength. The modem is maybe 5 feet from the ignite box and not blocked by anything. I have been through the restart sequence many times 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nash2409 wrote:

I did this and it shows 35 for signal strength. The modem is maybe 5 feet from the ignite box and not blocked by anything. I have been through the restart sequence many times 

The problem with Wi-Fi (and I am simplifying) is that it is a shared medium and only once device on a channel can transmit at a time; others have to wait for the airspace to become clear before they can transmit.  If you have enough active devices with a poor-quality connection, they consume more airtime to transmit their data and this degrades Wi-Fi performance for all other devices, even those that are only a short distance away from the Wi-Fi Access Point.

Edit: Also, if you have a neighbouring Wi-Fi network that is performing poorly and shares the same Wi-Fi channels/frequencies, that will also degrade the performance of your Wi-Fi network.

nash2409
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, my issue is this is all rogers provide equipment. I pay over 200 bucks a month for that modem and this service and because I have 3 TV's and 2 phones in the house its going to buffer non stop when we are trying to watch something? This happens when no other device is even on. So even if your response is technically correct its poor sign for such an expensive service 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@nash2409 wrote:

The modem is maybe 5 feet from the ignite box and not blocked by anything.

Can you try connecting the Ignite set-top box to the Ignite modem/gateway using an Ethernet cable?  If the audio/video drop-outs stop occurring, then that would almost certainly indicate a problem with your Wi-Fi installation.  If you continue to see a/v drop-outs on that Ethernet-connected set-top box, then you most likely have a problem with your Internet service.

Hi Lana, didn't lose your PVR recordings with a reset? My ignite TV freezes and sometimes I get sound sync issues which makes the video unwatchable. I've only had Ignite Tv for a couple of months now and so many issues.

Hello @Charlie196743,

Thanks for your post and we are sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with your Ignite TV service. 😞

Just to clarify, you will not lose any existing recordings if you were to reboot your modem and set-top box(es) since everything you record is saved to 'the cloud' and not to the box itself. You can simply unplug the modem for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in again. Once the modem fully reboots, you can move on to the set-top boxes and do the same thing one by one.

If the issues persists, I'll ask you to provide some more details with the rest of the community so we can help! Please see below:

- Have you spoken to anyone from our technical support team about this? And what was the outcome?

- Are any of your other devices having WiFi connectivity issues? (cellphones, laptops, tablets, etc.)

- How far is the set-top box from your modem?

- Are you using WiFi pods? Or just the Rogers modem for your WiFi?

Thank you,

RogersYasmine

BLW
I plan to stick around

I am also having this problem - the streaming simply freezes.  I have rebooted the modem many times but even that doesn't always help.  My pre-Ignite service NEVER did this.  So actually the 'better' service is worse!  

Topic Stats