Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite cuts out and freezes frequently

Ok still having issues with latency, freezing, volume going in and out.  Tried to do some of the tests you mentioned.  Here is results of traceroute:

1: *
2: 8,11,5 8087-dgw01.ajax.rmgt.net.rogers.com 24.156.143.121
3: 9,9,8 9001-cgw01.ym.rmgt.net.rogers.com 69.63.248.217
4: 10,9,9 209.148.235.18 209.148.235.18
5: 14,22,15 72.14.209.126 72.14.209.126
6: *
7: 11,9,10 216.239.35.233 216.239.35.233

Ping Test

Wifi

Ping 14

Jitter 4

Download 156

Upload 5.4

Connected via Ethernet

Ping 11

Download 285.4

Jitter 3

Upload 17.1

Not sure what the above traceroute means, and definitely not getting 500 MBPS.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

TV is frozen now.  lol

1: *
2: 7,13,6 8087-dgw01.ajax.rmgt.net.rogers.com 24.156.143.121
3: 9,9,9 209.148.236.61 209.148.236.61
4: 10,11,12 209.148.235.22 209.148.235.22
5: 10 72.14.209.126 72.14.209.126
6: *
7: 11,10,14 216.239.35.233 216.239.35.233

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CARASTEVENS 

1.  Did hop #1 time out or did you remove it?  It should not time out as its the modem at the first hop.

2.  Are you running the wifi speed test on a laptop, desktop or mobile phone?

3.  What are you using for the ethernet speed test, laptop or desktop?

4.  What are you using for the speedtest site?  I recommend the www.speedtest.net Toronto or Montreal Rogers server, which ever is closer, or in you're near Toronto https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest or if you're out in Atlantic Canada, possibly the Moncton Rogers server. 

5.  I'm assuming here that you have one of the XB6 modem in your home.  The modem model is seen on the bottom of the modem and its probably either the Arris TG-3482ER or the Technicolor CGM-4141 modem.  Can you log into the modem and using the instructions from @mozerd and myself to copy the signal data from the modem and paste it into a post.  When you have the signal table selected, you should be able to copy it and paste it into a post.  Please copy the downstream and upstream signal levels and paste them into a post.  That data might very well explain the speed issues.  

The wifi feed to the tv set top box is another issue altogether.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

1.  Did hop #1 time out or did you remove it?  It should not time out as its the modem at the first hop. Thats how the tests came out.  didn't remove anything.

2.  Are you running the wifi speed test on a laptop, desktop or mobile phone? Laptop right next to modem.

3.  What are you using for the ethernet speed test, laptop or desktop? Laptop.  Rogers Ping test

4.  What are you using for the speedtest site?  I recommend the www.speedtest.net Toronto or Montreal Rogers server, which ever is closer, or in you're near Toronto https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest or if you're out in Atlantic Canada, possibly the Moncton Rogers server. Rogers ping test site.

5.  I'm assuming here that you have one of the XB6 modem in your home.  The modem model is seen on the bottom of the modem and its probably either the Arris TG-3482ER or the Technicolor CGM-4141 modem.  Can you log into the modem and using the instructions from @mozerd and myself to copy the signal data from the modem and paste it into a post.  When you have the signal table selected, you should be able to copy it and paste it into a post.  Please copy the downstream and upstream signal levels and paste them into a post.  That data might very well explain the speed issues. 

Hang tight.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CARASTEVENS my apologies, I didn't include the link for the instructions.  They can be found here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32715001-Rogers-BlueCurve-Gateway-Issues

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry can't find the instructions...

Can you log into the modem and using the instructions from @mozerd and myself to copy the signal data from the modem and paste it into a post. 

What page?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry 😞  Just posted the page in the above post.  Here it is again:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32715001-Rogers-BlueCurve-Gateway-Issues

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here it is

IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value

591 MHz
279 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
609 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
657 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
681 MHz
687 MHz
693 MHz
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
350 MHz
42.6 dB
42.3 dB
40.2 dB
39.7 dB
39.1 dB
42.8 dB
42.7 dB
42.5 dB
42.1 dB
42.1 dB
42.1 dB
42.4 dB
42.4 dB
42.4 dB
42.3 dB
42.2 dB
42.2 dB
41.9 dB
41.8 dB
41.0 dB
41.7 dB
41.9 dB
41.7 dB
41.9 dB
41.9 dB
41.9 dB
41.7 dB
41.7 dB
41.1 dB
40.8 dB
40.7 dB
40.5 dB
41.9 dB
NA
0.8 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
-2.4 dBmV
-3.4 dBmV
-4.3 dBmV
0.8 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
0.4 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
0.8 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.1 dBmV
0.4 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.4 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.2 dBmV
0.6 dBmV
0.8 dBmV
-1.2 dBmV
-1.7 dBmV
0.1 dBmV
NA
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM
OFDM
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Not Locked
Not Locked
22 MHz
25 MHz
30 MHz
36 MHz
46.5 dBmV
54.8 dBmV
55.8 dBmV
52.0 dBmV
QAM
QAM
QAM
QAM
TDMA_AND_ATDMA
TDMA_AND_ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, you have some type of external cable or connector problem on the go.  The downstream data looks normal, including the high frequency roll off in power levels in the upper 800 Mhz range.  Thats typical for Rogers although those levels should be near 0 dBmV.  On the downstream side, what you're looking for are power levels at or very near 0 dBmV, Signal to Noise ratios between 36 to 40 dBmV, higher is better, and QAM levels at 256.  The one exception is the OFDM channel which doesn't show the QAM level.  It should be running at 1024.  Tech support should have access to that data. 

The problem is with the upstream channels.  You should have at least three upstream channels running.  You only have two upstream channels locked and running and both of those are at or beyond Rogers failure point which is 52 dBmV.  Normally those upstream channels run in the 36 to 40 dBmV range.  As the external cable and its connectors age, the signal losses thru both of them increase.  That normally affects the signal levels in both directions.  Usually it results in low downstream levels while the modem runs higher and higher output levels to maintain comms with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  The upper power limit for DOCSIS operation for three or four upstream channels is 51 dBmV.  Beyond that point the modem will drop channels one by one and use the total output power in the remaining operating channels, pushing the channel power levels up beyond 51 dBmV.  So, thats where you are at the moment.  For whatever reason, Rogers uses 52 dBmV as a failure point instead of 51 dBmV.  So no matter how you look at it, you're there.  As the modem drops upstream channels one by one, the downstream and upstream data rates will drop, so that explains the low data rates, to an extent.  You would have to know that the downstream and upstream levels are at their correct levels and run a speed test to determine if there are more problems afoot.  Note that since January, customers in the GTA and nearby areas have suffered from latency, packet loss and low data rates.  Rogers is radio silent on the issue, so no one outside of the company knows what the problem is.  This started well before the Covid 19 data throughput ramp up throughout the network, so the issue is with the network itself and is probably amplified by the Covid 19 throughput these days.  Rogers has stated that the data throughput across the network has increased 50%, so, that's something keep in mind. 

Normally, in a failure mode such as yours, there is a wide discrepancy between the downstream and upstream levels.  Your downstream levels look fine, but the upstream levels are in the failure zone.  That's very unusual, and it leads me to think that you might have a power amplifier attached to the incoming cable.  That's for a tech to sort out.   

Ok, what to do?  Call tech support and advise the customer service rep that you only have to upstream channels running and ask the tech to run a signal check on the modem.  Don't reboot the modem before the call or during the call until the test is done.  If the tech doesn't ask you to reboot the modem, don't do it just yet.  The signal check should fail automatically and that should lead to an arrangement to get a tech to your home at your convenience.  The tech should also check your neighbours modems as well to determine if the problem is with your cable line, or it the problem is common to your neighbours which points to a problem at the local tap that connects you and your immediate neighbours to the network, or the problem could be further upstream.  That check for other neighbours should only take a couple of minutes but, its important in order to assign the correct tech to the job, either a contractor tech for you, or a senior tech or even maintenance crew for a wider issue.  

Ok, if you reboot the modem, those upstream levels will most likely return to normal, somewhere between 36 to 40 dBmV, for a short period of time.  The reboot will temporarily resolve the issue, but it doesn't solve the underlying cable issue.  If the tech that you're chatting with asks you to reboot the modem and then declares victory when the upstream levels return to normal, that's just kicking the can down the road for another tech to assign a field tech to a visit.  He or she notches a successful conclusion while leaving it to another tech to actually resolve.  So, word of warning, don't let that happen. You need a tech and that's all there is to it. 

Ok, please let me know how that conversation goes.  When a field tech has come and gone, and hopefully fixed the issue, including replacing the external cable if necessary, please repost the signal levels again so that we can see if in fact the tech has resolved the issue.  Sometimes that takes more than one visit.

Edit:  While you're sorting out the cable issues, you can address the wifi issues.  The introduction of the Ignite TV system has resulted in the customers losing some degree of control over the modem's settings, as those settings are defaulted to whatever Rogers has chosen.  In the case of the wifi settings I don't know what those settings are, but, I have my own list which is applicable to any modem or router which should result in the max performance that you're going to see out of the modem or router if you stick with normal upper and lower channel ranges for the 5 Ghz wifi.  From that DSLReports thread, comes the following from one of my posts:

For any wifi issues, I'd turn off band steering, rename one of the SSIDs to separate the wifi networks and then assign your devices to either the 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz network.  In theory Band Steering should result in better data rates in most conditions as the Band Steering function flips devices between the two networks.  Personal opinion, I can do this better than Band Steering.  I know what the competition looks like in both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands in my home and I know what works and what doesn't work.  End result, most everything runs 5 Ghz or ethernet.  The stragglers that don't support 5 Ghz are stuck with 2.4 Ghz.  That's a small list.   I don't know where that Band Steering Enable/Disable is located in your modem, so you will have to locate that yourself or ask another user for its location.  I would disable it, run your own wifi tests at various locations in the home with Winfi Lite and speedtests so that you know what network works in what locations in the home, what the competition looks like and what your data rate results look like for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  When you're able to do that, you will have a much better idea of what Band Steering is trying to do if in fact you decide to re-enable it.

If your running a windows laptop, download Winfi lite which is a wifi analysis application, probably the best free application around these days. Start that up and select the wrench symbol on the second row, which is the tool symbol. That will bring up the bottom area display. Select Spectrum to display the network data graphically. Select the top column RSSI title to sort the text data by signal strength. Reselecting the RSSI title or any other title sorts the data up and down by the selected title. In this case, the RSSI is the signal strength. That scale is a negative scale, 0 at the top, -90 at the bottom.  Closer to zero is better.  So, the question is, who else are you competing with.  Where is your network in that list compared to your neighbours and are you running the same channel as your neighbours?  

Winfi Lite can be downloaded from here: »www.helge-keck.com/

Fwiw, you should be using channels 149 to 161 for the 5 Ghz network as that channel range uses the maximum output power allowed for wifi devices. That will give you the max range for the 5 Ghz network. If you were far enough from any airport, you could use the Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) channels which are shared with airport weather radar systems. Those channels are the middle channels that are located between the lower 36 to 48 channels and the upper 149 to 161 channels.  The airport weather systems have priority, so if the modem detected any weather radar, it would have to automatically shut down the wifi channel and move elsewhere. It might take three or four minutes to reestablish a DFS channel elsewhere, so there is a drawback to this, and, some devices might not support DFS channels. But, for those with fairly new devices that support DFS channels, if you're in a crowded wifi environment in your neighbourhood, then DFS is a possible way out of the crowd.

Also fwiw, here's my generic recommendation for wifi settings:

2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n

Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz. It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.

Wireless channel: Set to the least used channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighbouring routers and modems as seen with Winfi Lite.

WPS Enabled: OFF

Security Mode: WPA-Personal

Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode: AES only
5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed Check for n/ac if available?

Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 40 Mhz. 80 Mhz will give you a higher throughput at close ranges.

Wireless channel: 149 to 165 Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.

WPS Enabled: OFF

Security Mode: WPA-Personal

Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode: AES only

Ok, hope this helps.

1. Check the default wifi parameters to see how they compare to the above lists and change them off of the defaults (personal opinion).

2. Have a look at your wifi environment with Winfi Lite to see who your competing with. Even with competition in the channel 149 to 161 range, you will most likely find that your data rates are higher even with the competition, compared to running in the 36 to 48 channel range.

Fwiw, firing up Winfi Lite should be a once a week occurrence if not more.  It only needs to be a quick check to see if your wifi environment is the same or if one of your neighbours has installed a new system such as another Rogers Ignite TV system or a mesh network, which could drop your wifi network performance.  A little knowledge about who else is running a wifi network nearby can save a lot of frustration.  

If you happen to change the network SSID that the set top box connects to, you should be able to follow the following instructions to access the entry windows to change the selected network for the set top box:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Hope this helps.