cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite box not recognized by reciever

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

I have my ignite box connected through my denon reciever. When i power on reciever the box is not activated. If while reciever is on i unplug power to ignite box and immediately plug power back into it then it works and i get rogers welcome screen. Why is it not active as soon as i turn on reciever...every time i have to reboot rogers box for it to be recognized?

***Added Labels***

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Ignite box not recognized by reciever

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- : Thank you so much for the detailed explanations of the various power modes.

@Dave1960 : The need to unplug/replug the box is indeed troubling. Based on the above information from @-G-  you should be able to tell from the light on the box if it's going off when you press the power button and if it's coming back on when you press the power button on the Ignite remote.  You can test this power functionality without the box connected to the AVR.  I suspect, but I'm not sure, that the box is not powering off/on properly.  Also see @-G- 's notes regarding the various settings in the box.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  The strange thing is that the TV is displaying an error message (from the Xi6?) that the TV is not HDCP 2.2-capable, which leads me to believe that the Xi6 is in a fully powered up state.

It's also strange that there are no issues when the Xi6 is directly connected to the TV, which points to the Denon AVR as the culprit... even though it should just be functioning as a repeater in the HDMI chain.  Nevertheless, the Power Saver Mode setting is still worth checking just to make sure that the Xi6 is not putting the AVR into a bad state.

The need to unplug/replug the box is indeed troubling.

And this is sometimes what I've had to do to wake the Xi6 with "Power Saver Mode" set to Maximum Savings.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

Ok, so box is set to standard in the power savings section. However, here might lie my problem...if the light indicates that the box is off my remote is not turning the box off because the ignite white light on top of the box remains on? So selecting power shutdown with my remote is not turning the box off. Is there a setting somewhere to turn the box off? Because I think if I can get it to shut off, that might solve the need to unplug and replug. Right now when I hit power off on the ignite remote...Reciever goes off, tv goes off, but white light on the ignite box is on. Thankyou gents, so taking time to help me try to solve this. If there is something I need to do can you explain to me please?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 : Per post 21 of this thread, you should be able to power down the box in two other ways. Go into the menu and find "power down," or use the voice control and say "power down".

I suggest you surf through the various menus to familiarize yourself with the various settings so that the box will perform as you like, rather than simply utilize the default settings.  

For example the audio settings may not be set properly to expert, or the video output format may be set to "auto" rather than 4K, etc.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
Shouldnt the power button on the ignite remote power on and off the box? Why is that not working?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that should work, however, something is causing that not to work.   Edit - Sorry, that's wrong - See post below and more detailed post 21 of this thread)

1. It could be that the box is not "hearing" that signal. Have you tried bringing the Ignite remote very close to the box.

2. It should power back up (from standby or power down) Have you tried "pairing" the remote with the box as I mentioned earlier in this thread - it may function somewhat but not "properly" because it's not properly "paired".

3. Does the box power down properly when you issue the voice command?  If it does, then the remote should be properly "paired"

4. Does the box power down properly using the box' menus?

5. I'm not sure if it works, but is there a "power up" voice command?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Actually, the Rogers remote does not power the Xi6 set-top box off. It’s “normal” for it to stay on and then go into standby on it’s own after a period of inactivity.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

When i issue the command power down the box powers off. Then i hit the power button on it and my reciever powers off. I use the power on button with the remote and everything comes on and im able to get the signal fine from the ignite box. So using the voice command power down...then powering on with remote everything works great the way it should. But if i dont issue that power down command...then just use the remote its not recognized. Such a foolish setup. You would think the remote power button would power off and on...but no it doesnt...it will power on, but not off. Typical design flaw...but thankyou guys, ill just have to be sure to say "power down" before i hit the power button to shut down my other devices. Doing it that way...it works and i dont have to physically pull the power plug.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:

...ill just have to be sure to say "power down" before i hit the power button to shut down my other devices....

With everything on, let's say you don't say "power down", but hit the power button.  I assume that the AVR and the TV then go off, but the box is still "on/standby".  If you then hit the power button, you say that the box doesn't come back on, but that the AVR and TV will come on.  Instead of unplugging/replugging the box, what happens if you press a button on the remote that controls a function on the box like "mic." (as outlined in the second last paragraph of post 21).  Does the box then "wake up" and can you avoid the unplug/replug step?  If that works, it would come in handy if you forget to "power down".

I find it very odd that we haven't heard similar complaints from other users on this forum that I recall...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960  I was wondering what would happen if you turn off your receiver from the front panel (leaving everything else on) then turn it back on again 10 seconds later.  Same problem or does everything still work fine?  Also, does the TV still display a picture?  (i.e. is the HDMI signal still passed while the AVR is in standby?)

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
I just tried as you suggested and hit the mic key and i get sound, but no picture. Do it the other way and say power down first...wait for box to go off. Then hit power off so everything is now off...hit power again and everything comes on fine.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
If i hit just the power button on the AVR the picture stays on even with the AVR off but i dont have sound.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:
If i hit just the power button on the AVR the picture stays on even with the AVR off but i dont have sound.

Thanks.  Have you tried disabling HDMI Passthrough on the receiver to see if a clean end-to-end connection can be established across the entire HDMI chain on power-up, even if the set-top box is left running or goes into standby on its own?

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
I have not tried disabling passthrough? How do i do that?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You need to go into the AVR's user menu and disable HDMI-CEC, or HDMI-passthrough, as discussed in post 2 of this thread.  You should probably do the TV too for the test.  You can always re-enable HDMI-CEC if disabling doesn't help.

It's always a good idea to download the operating manuals for your various devices and file them appropriately on your computer. You can then search the pdf for the appropriate terms.  This makes searching a lot easier than with paper (if that even exists for your equipment).

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

I did disable the hdmi-cec before on the AVR and TV as you suggested and it did nothing except made things worse. Cant remember exactly what it did, but I had to switch it back.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

the problem seems to be something about this rogers ignite box. My android box comes up no problem when I select the hdmi port its on with the AVR remote. And once I do get the rogers box up and connected, I can switch back and forth between the two no problem.

What baffles me the most, is I give the command " power down " box goes off.  Then I shut down the rest, TV, AVR, Android box.  I power everything back on....and everything works fine. 

So why is it when I hit the power button on the ignite remote it does not power off the box? but will power it on....that is the big issue here.  Because if it powered off then Id have no problem. This was my original complaint was that if I manually pull the power plug on the box, it boots up with welcome screen and were good.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:

the problem seems to be something about this rogers ignite box. My android box comes up no problem when I select the hdmi port its on with the AVR remote. And once I do get the rogers box up and connected, I can switch back and forth between the two no problem.

This is why @57  and I are suggesting specific option changes to keep the amount of "intelligent processing" (where devices, while operating or in standby, might be making assumptions about other devices' state) across the HDMI chain down to a minimum.  Arguing that the AVR is at fault because the set-top box works fine when directly connected to a TV, or that the the set-top box is at fault because the same setup works fine with the Android box isn't really helpful either because the problem could actually turn out to be with the TV... or there could be subtle bugs with all devices in the chain that are tripping things up.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
I agree with you. But one big question i have is why the rogers remote by pressing the power button does not power off the box? It will power it on ok...but not off. Only way to power it off is with the voice command "power down"

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 : There is a separate thread around here somewhere on powering down and the fact that the "power" button doesn't do what you think it should.  I can only surmise that they may have done this on purpose to keep the various pieces of equipment "in sync". If an actual power (down) IR command is sent, then it may power down the box, but not the TV (and/or) AVR, due to the fact that many people don't hold the remote in the correct position for long enough for all the IR signals to be sent (or vice versa)  This means that when it comes time to watch TV again, people press the power button and the box goes off, instead of on while their TV is on.  This is especially confusing for the elderly.  

By having the box power up again with any button press and the other devices coming up with a press of the power button this "out of sync" issue is avoided.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:
I agree with you. But one big question i have is why the rogers remote by pressing the power button does not power off the box? It will power it on ok...but not off. Only way to power it off is with the voice command "power down"

This was a design decision that Comcast made in response to customer complaints when their TV and X1 set-top box would get out of sync with each other, so they elected to toggle power on IR-controlled TV and Audio devices and let the STB go into standby on its own.  This shouldn't (and doesn't usually) cause problems for the end customer.  (See the last question in: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs )

The Comcast designers even simplified the design of the remote control.  The XR11 had "TV Power" and "All Power" buttons (to fix the out-of-sync power problem) but this apparently also caused too much confusion.  The new XR15 remote only as a single Power button.

Topic Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 in conversation