cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite box not recognized by reciever

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

I have my ignite box connected through my denon reciever. When i power on reciever the box is not activated. If while reciever is on i unplug power to ignite box and immediately plug power back into it then it works and i get rogers welcome screen. Why is it not active as soon as i turn on reciever...every time i have to reboot rogers box for it to be recognized?

***Added Labels***

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Ignite box not recognized by reciever

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 : Have you programmed the Ignite remote to turn on the Box, TV, AVR using the "all power" functionality?  Or are you expecting the HDMI-CEC functionality to power things on/off?  I suggest turning off HDMI-CEC (in your AVR and TV) because it often causes problems with signals fighting each other or items not turning on/off properly.  If you have other devices that utilize HDMI-CEC, then this may not be possible for you and you'll need to figure out how to make things work properly.

https://www.urcsupport.com/rogers/

HDMI-CEC, Item 4 : https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html

Edit - I don't believe the Rogers box turns on/off utilizing HDMI-CEC.  If the TV turns on/off properly with HDMI-CEC, perhaps you can just include the box/AVR in the power on/off functionality of the Ignite remote.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960  Does the set-top box turn on if you press a button on the remote?  Try the "Exit" button, or click the "Microphone" button without giving a voice command.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
The ignite box is on all the time at least the light on it is. So when i turn on my avr and select tv on it then its just a screen showing no connection between the two. Then i walk over unplug and plug back in the ignite box and then its there and working. However my andriod box is always there...its connected through aux port. When i select aux on avr remote it goes right to it and its on. Then if i select the port the ignite box is connected to on the avr its there too. I can switch back and forth with avr remote. But when everything is powered off except ignite box i just leave it on all time. So now i hit power on avr andriod box is there...but not ignite box, until i power it off then on by pulling plug then its fine rest of the day and i can switch back and forth between devices no problem.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
I get msg on screen:
The content can not be displayed because your tv does not support HDCP 2.2

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
After that msg...walk over unplug and plug back in and now i get welcome screen on stb.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:
I get msg on screen:
The content can not be displayed because your tv does not support HDCP 2.2

Oh, lovely.  It will be helpful  to see if your can get a successful HDCP handshake after disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable between your STB and AVR.  As for fixing this, all I have to recommend is to check that firmware on all of your devices, including your AVR, is up to date... and possibly try a different HDMI cable.  @57  may have some additional tips for resolving this.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Also may be helpful if the model of the devices was provided. TV, AVR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, please supply the exact make and model of your AVR and TV.  The Rogers box goes "off" (standby) after a period of time, so you need to turn it back on.  It doesn't function like some other devices and as I stated earlier, it doesn't respond to HDMI-CEC signals by turning on/off.

I assume that if you press the power button on the Ignite remote the box will turn on (you don't need to unplug/replug).  I'm not on Ignite, so I'm not sure about the functionality of that light on the box, but that may not be an "on" indicator, simply that the box is "ready" to receive a signal. 

Most people use the Ignite remote (properly programmed) to turn everything on/off, which I suspect you haven't programmed (you appear to be using the AVR's remote, which may not work.)  The Ignite remote can also then control the volume of the AVR (after being properly programmed) as well as respond to voice commands.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

Model of my receiver is Denon AVR750h

Model of tv Samsung UN55hu7250 ( 55" Curved Screen )

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

I am able to control the AVR and its volume etc with the ignite remote. But like I said if I hit power button on ignite remote everything turns off. Now if I go and use ignite remote to power everything on again...you would think that the handshake between the AVR and ignite box would allow me to see tv...but it doesn't. What I have to do is unplug and replug power into ignite box...then right away the handshake and connection is established and im greeted with the ignite welcome screen. Without doing that...if I do nothing, its like nothing is connected to the AVR port to the ignite box. But the second I unplug and plug back in the ignite box...that must send a signal or something through the hdmi cable and it comes alive through the AVR. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:

you would think that the handshake between the AVR and ignite box would allow me to see tv...but it doesn't. What I have to do is unplug and replug power into ignite box...

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the Rogers Ignite box does NOT respond to HDMI-CEC signals. When you plug in the power, the box is simply coming on.  If you don't use the Ignite remote for a certain period of time (can be adjusted in the box' settings) the box will power down (go to standby) after a certain period of time, up to 5 hours depending on the user power settings in the box.  The box does NOT stay on.

Sounds like the Ignite remote is not properly paired with the Ignite box for turning it on/off because the power button should turn the box on (as well as the AVR and TV if properly programmed.  

It's possible that the Ignite remote is not properly paired with the box.  See the following thread regarding the XR15 remote:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/2-remotes-for-1-Ignite-box/m-p/452528#M4441

If you have the XR11 remote, see the following link for setting things up.  

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11-2/

You may wish to start from scratch setting up the remote and everything should then work properly.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around

It has to be paired with the box, Im sure the rogers guy done that. Im able to change channels and use microphone and volume so it must be paired?  Im not sure if the light on the box is the power light for the box...I only assumed that it is.  Too much tech for me...just my other devices all come on when selected except rogers box. I may need to see about that hdmi-cec you talked about...do I disable that in receiver settings?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

HDMI-CEC is discussed in the link in post 2 of this thread.  If you turn it off in the AVR, then any other devices will no longer come on automatically or trigger going to the correct HDMI input, etc. It may be worthwhile turning it off in the TV and AVR just as a test, then turn it back on.

Since I'm not on Ignite I don't know the purpose of the light on the box - someone else will have to advise.  The box should be turning on/off via the Ignite remote. One other thing to try would be to connect the Ignite box to the TV directly to see if that works properly.

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
Thankyou for your help..i will do like you suggest and play with settings a bit. If not, ill get one those geek squads to come sort it out. Rogers install guy said he didnt know...direct to tv works fine. So yes..something with avr.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

What model of denon AVR is it? I am using  a denon s730. Perhaps we can help if we knew.

Bill 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw : See post 10 for details of TV and AVR.  I checked out the AVR and it looks fine.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dave1960 wrote:

I'm not sure if the light on the box is the power light for the box...I only assumed that it is.

Yes, the white LED on top of the set-top box is the power indicator.  If you issue the "Power down" command, it will turn off when the box shuts down and goes into standby.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- (or anyone else): Do you know if the light goes out (and/or the box powers down) after a certain period of inactivity?  I assume that's different from the screen saver functionality?

Does the box power up (or wake up) with any button press or does it need to be the power button?  I guess there are different sets of responses, or actions required, depending on if the box was "powered down", or simply left on its own to go into standby, or if it's gone to screensaver mode...

Dave1960
I plan to stick around
So after trying many settings same senerio...i have to pull the power plug from the ignite box once...plug it back in, then select cab/sat button on my reciever and i get the ignite welcome screen as it loads up. If i dont pull and replug the power on the ignite box, then all i get when i select the cab/sat button on my reciever is a screen that shows like no connection on that port.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- (or anyone else): Do you know if the light goes out (and/or the box powers down) after a certain period of inactivity?  I assume that's different from the screen saver functionality?

If I issue the "Power down" command, the LED on the Xi6 will turn off and there is no screen saver, but there is still a signal on the HDMI link.  The screen is black and the TV's backlight will turn off but, unlike the HDMI input fed by my powered-down Blu-ray player, I do not see a "No Signal" indicator.

If I have "Power Saver" set to On and "Power Saver Mode" set to Standard, the screen saver will turn on after a period of inactivity and the box will continue to stream.  After ~4 hours of inactivity, the Xi6 will go into standby mode and the LED will turn off.  If I turn the TV on, leaving the Xi6 in its current state, I'll see a screen saver.  I don't know whether or not the box will go into a deeper standby state after a few more hours of inactivity.

@Dave1960  Go in Settings > Labs > Power Saver Mode and make sure that this is set to Standard, and NOT Maximum Savings.  If set to Maximum Savings, the HDMI signal will shut down completely when the Xi6 is in standby and it can take time for the set-top box to "wake up" again... and sometimes it doesn't.

Does the box power up (or wake up) with any button press or does it need to be the power button?  I guess there are different sets of responses, or actions required, depending on if the box was "powered down", or simply left on its own to go into standby, or if it's gone to screensaver mode...

With "Power Saver Mode" set to Standard, pressing any key on the remote will "wake up" the Xi6: a number key, Exit, OK/Select, an arrow key, even briefly clicking the Mic button.  This is also the case when you turn the Xi6 off with the Power Down command.

With "Power Saver Mode" set to Maximum Savings, it's not so easy to wake the Xi6 up, even with the "All Power" button on the XR11 remote.  This setting is in the Labs section because it's experimental and still being tested.  It's best to leave it set to Standard.

Topic Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 in conversation