cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Tv Remote in IR mode only

cnp
I've been here awhile

Good evening.

I was wondering if it is possible to program the ignite tv remote (RX15) to operate in IR only mode.  I can not teach my universal remote commands because Rogers remote is in RF mode.

I understand I will lose the voice option, which I don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite Tv Remote in IR mode only

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cnp wrote:

I was wondering if it is possible to program the ignite tv remote (RX15) to operate in IR only mode.  I can not teach my universal remote commands because Rogers remote is in RF mode.

I don't have an XR15 remote to test with but I do know that you can put the XR11 remote into IR mode.  To do this, press and hold the Setup button until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 7".  The remote will then send IR signals to the Xi6 set-top box.

To put the XR11 back into RF mode, reset the remote (press and hold the Setup button until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 1") and then re-pair it with the set-top box.

The XR15 works a bit differently (it doesn't have a Setup button) but you should still be able to put that remote into IR mode by pressing and holding the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons simultaneously until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 7"

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @cnp!

To my knowledge assignment of RF vs IR solely for the remote is not a currently available feature. Can you confirm for us though which universal remote you're trying to program? There may be discussions on the board that might help you out.

@RogersAndy

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cnp wrote:

I don't have an XR15 remote to test with but I do know that you can put the XR11 remote into IR mode.  To do this, press and hold the Setup button until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 7".  The remote will then send IR signals to the Xi6 set-top box.

To put the XR11 back into RF mode, reset the remote (press and hold the Setup button until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 1") and then re-pair it with the set-top box.

The XR15 works a bit differently (it doesn't have a Setup button) but you should still be able to put that remote into IR mode by pressing and holding the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons simultaneously until the status light turns green, then punch in code "9 8 7"

Paul2121
I've been around

How do I Program my Bose universal remote to control ignite tv box?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Paul2121 Welcome to the Community!

I don't have Bose equipment so I can't give specific instructions.  If Bose does have setup codes for "Rogers", it's likely to control the legacy Digital TV set-top boxes.  Does your documentation provide you with setup codes for "Comcast", "Comcast Xfinity", or "Comcast X1"?  That's what you will need to control the Ignite TV equipment.

The IR receivers on the Ignite STBs also require a rather direct line of sight, so you will also need to ensure that you point your Bose remote directly at the set-top box.

Mscann04
I've been here awhile

My current setup involves my cable boxes placed in my furnace room. I run an IR transmitter to each TV. This involves the transmitter being placed over the eye of the cable boxes but I do not see one on the new ignite boxes. Anyone have this issue?

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

Your post is a bit confusing (maybe too much information). It seems you just want to know about the location of IR receiver on the Ignite TX box. There are about six tiny triangles on the right front of the box. This is likely where the IR receiver is located. If not, then just move transmitter across the front of the box until the signal is received.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@Mscann04 wrote:

My current setup involves my cable boxes placed in my furnace room. I run an IR transmitter to each TV. This involves the transmitter being placed over the eye of the cable boxes but I do not see one on the new ignite boxes. Anyone have this issue?

This thread explains:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/xi6-box/td-p/3305482#

Mscann04
I've been here awhile
Thank you

doronmelnick
I've been around

The XR15 remote apparently cannot be switched to IR mode. I tried the 987 code today and it didn't work. I spoke to Rogers tech support and they confirmed it can't be done. Unfortunate, because it means I can't control my Sonos Beam sound bar volume from the XR15 remote. This is a Sonos and Samsung issue because my TV, being an older Samsung, doesn't have ARC so I need to use the Optical out jack to connect to the Sonos, and the Sonos when connected via Optical doesn't accept RF remote commands, only IR.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@doronmelnick wrote:

The XR15 remote apparently cannot be switched to IR mode. I tried the 987 code today and it didn't work. I spoke to Rogers tech support and they confirmed it can't be done. Unfortunate, because it means I can't control my Sonos Beam sound bar volume from the XR15 remote. This is a Sonos and Samsung issue because my TV, being an older Samsung, doesn't have ARC so I need to use the Optical out jack to connect to the Sonos, and the Sonos when connected via Optical doesn't accept RF remote commands, only IR.

Not exactly sure what your technician means, here.

When I "pair" my remote with my TV (and sound system),  volume control definitely works on IR. 

To prove, I can pull the plug on my TV box and the XR15 will still control the volume of my TV.

@doronmelnick wrote:

The XR15 remote apparently cannot be switched to IR mode. I tried the 987 code today and it didn't work. I spoke to Rogers tech support and they confirmed it can't be done.

The Ignite voice remote only communicates with the Ignite set-top box via RF; it controls other devices with IR signals.  Entering setup code 987 will unpair the remote from the STB, and cause the remote to emit IR signals only until it gets re-paired to the STB.

If you cannot find a setup code that works with your Sonos sound bar, you may not be able to control it with the Rogers remote.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's the link for the Rogers XR15 remote and how to setup the remote:

https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr15/?product-provider=365

The code for Sonos appears to be 33919.  Have you tried entering that for the audio device? These remotes cannot control all devices, so if that doesn't work, you can try contacting Sonos and URC...

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@-G- wrote:

@doronmelnick wrote:

The XR15 remote apparently cannot be switched to IR mode. I tried the 987 code today and it didn't work. I spoke to Rogers tech support and they confirmed it can't be done.

The Ignite voice remote only communicates with the Ignite set-top box via RF; it controls other devices with IR signals.  Entering setup code 987 will unpair the remote from the STB, and cause the remote to emit IR signals only until it gets re-paired to the STB.

If you cannot find a setup code that works with your Sonos sound bar, you may not be able to control it with the Rogers remote.

I believe that unpairing code is 981 ??

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-remote-unpair

@ColdGranite wrote:
I believe that unpairing code is 981 ??

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-remote-unpair

That's a typo.  Setup code 981 resets the remote to defaults.  While that will unpair the remote, it will also clear the programming for other devices.

If you only want to unpair the voice remote from the Ignite set-top box and leave other programming intact, use setup code 987.

dss_cottage
I plan to stick around

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but here is what I have found about the Ignite "remote "IR vs RF" issue.

- the ignite cable box will accept both IR and RF signals from a remote

- before the XR15 remote is paired with the cable box, it sends IR signals to the cable box

- after the XR15 remote is paired with the cable box it sends only RF signals to the box

- the XR15 remote in IR mode seems to have a very limited range. i.e. it needs to be very close to the cable box

Here is what I have done:

On my main TV, I have a Logitech Elite remote so that all of my electronics are behind a wall and the Logitech controls everything using IR. I programmed the Elite for the Rogers Xi6-A cable box and placed the Logitech hub immediately in front of the cable box. Everything works perfectly except the voice command since the Logitech doesn't have a microphone.

On my second TV, I'm using a Universal MX450 remote to control every device (IR mode). It is old enough that it can't be programmed for the Rogers Xi6-A cable box as a unit. Instead, I used the "learning mode" to program each individual remote button. Interestingly, the Universal remote is far less sensitive than the Rogers XR15 remote. (Therefore, I assume that it is the Rogers remote that has a weak IR function). However, I have one problem. For some reason, I can't get my Universal remote to learn the Rogers "Select command" i.e. the centre of the navigation buttons. If anyone knows of a solution to this issue, I'd appreciate the advice.

dss_cottage
I plan to stick around

I had been unsuccessful programming my Universal MX-450 remote for the "OK/Select" command so I sent an e-mail to Universal support. I didn't really expect help since the remote is over 10 years old. However, within an hour I received a call from a Universal tech support person. He told me that my remote needed to be updated for the latest IR codes. He sent me a link for the necessary software and instructions.

I did as he recommended and it worked like a charm.

This was OUTSTANDING customer service.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation