Ignite - Terrible support and service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevguy
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite - Terrible support and service

After over 2 hours on the phone, mostly on hold between regular tech support, then a concierge, then tech support again and a team leader my problem is still not resolved.

I have been one that has been singing the praises of Ignite, even recommending to people to switch to the service, but after tonight I’m seriously considering hunting down that Bell Fibe pamphlet that came in the mail.

It started with one of our boxes (of which we have 4) going through multiple reboot cycles. I’m talking an hour before it finally stops and functions properly. I called support this morning and went through the normal tech support process (test this, move that, etc) to no avail. We decided the best course of action was for the box to be replaced, a couple of days most likely. That’s fine, at least I only have to put up with the multiple reboots for a couple of more days right? Well about a few hours later I was greeted with the lovely “This device needs to be activated before we can continue” screen of death. I call it that because as I have found out, after all that time on hold and being bounced around, that there is nothing they can do to activate the box. I have to wait! for the new box to arrive to be able to have service again.

It’s beyond me how I can “reauthorize” all my own boxes SELF-SERVE mind you, but I can’t have a technician who’s job it is to do just that, tell me they can’t help me and I’ll have to “just wait”.

If it wasn’t for 2 people (out of the FIVE I spoke to being very pleasant then I definitely would be dropping service for a company that is able to at least manage their systems over the phone and not “submit a ticket and we will get back to you”
Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Ignite - Terrible support and service

It sounds like that STB has a problem that cannot be fixed and you need to wait for a new one. I am surprised it would take a couple of days, I had a STB replaced the next day when I had 2 go bad. Not at the same time, but in both cases it was the next day.
Kevguy
I've Been Here Awhile

Oh for sure that box was defective I have no doubt. The days to get a new box didn’t bother me either, especially being in a pandemic I can understand the timelines. What I can’t understand is why they don’t have the ability to activate boxes on the phone which is really very shocking to me.
jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

90% of the problems I have had with Ignite (and I have had a lot), relate to these STBs.  Other than a a revenue grab, with today's technology I have no idea why such boxes are even needed.

Munster44
I've Been Around

A see several messages on this forum about the poor performance and issues with the new Ignite TV. We received a letter from Rogers stating that the cabke service we has for years in our area. s a result we would have to move over to the new Ignite TV. Reluctantly we cmpled and switched over to the new Ignite TV 150.

1) we were forced to move over to the Ignite TV due to service ending from Rogers but we had to pay a fee to have the new system installed. I did not want to switch buy was forced to go to the new service and STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE INSTALL. Unbelieveable.

2) We had the new service installed and discovered we had lost all our music channels that we had on the od system and several other channels we had on the old system. If we wanted those channes we had we would need to pay for additional packages. These channels were on the old system and now we are penalized with not having them available after the changeover. Again UNVELIEVABLE.

3) the On Screen Program guide covers up the existing channle playing while you are searching, something that drives my spouse nuts.

4)The wireless box reboots several times a week and while it reboots, the TV channel quits until it all reconnects again. We complained and had a tech out to check it out. He found issues with the signal coming to the house, did some work to rectify it but had to call in a cable team to do something to the box on the line coming into the house. Guess what we still had the same issues. I comppleained again after waiting almost an hour on hold on the phone and they decided to send us a new WiFi box. The tech dropped it off at the door and we had to figure out how to connect it on our own, another wasted hour or so. And guess what the problem still exists, although not as bad as the first box. The box rebots on its own occasionally, of the yv box has to be rebooted at times to get it going.

5) Wireless on this new system really sucks, the distance from the WiFi box is very limited, at leas half of the older unit we had. The attached wifi devices, (ie laptop, NAS, table, phones drop offline for no reason and you have to mess around trying to get them connected again. Another item that infuriates my spouse.

6) The remote unit seems to be VERY directional and you need to tilt and point the remote at a certain atitude and direction to get it to work.

7) the wifi speed varies from 40MBPS to 200MBPS at random, more on the low side compared to the high speed side. Communications seems inconsistenst and pausing.

9) we have two controllers for two tvs as we did with the old system. Apparently we owned the older boxes and there was no rebate for returning them. However now the second box is costing us $8.00 a month for the rest of my life, so will probably be dropping that one. 

10) I am sure I am forgetting some other tems we have experienced with Ignite, but I will leave it at that for now.

Gernerally we are not impressed with this new system, charged to move over, poor performance and connection issues. Would I recommend Ignite TV to others, absolutely not. Do go there. In discussions with my neighbours the same issues are happening to them, they are not impressed either. As much as I hate to change over I think I see Bell on the horizon as we are severely upset over this new system we were forced to go to.

So if you are considering changing to Rogers Ignite TV, look for an lternative, don't waste you time or frustration on this system. It is really pathethic.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Munster44 wrote:

A see several messages on this forum about the poor performance and issues with the new Ignite TV. We received a letter from Rogers stating that the cabke service we has for years in our area. s a result we would have to move over to the new Ignite TV. Reluctantly we cmpled and switched over to the new Ignite TV 150.

1) we were forced to move over to the Ignite TV due to service ending from Rogers but we had to pay a fee to have the new system installed. I did not want to switch buy was forced to go to the new service and STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE INSTALL. Unbelieveable.

2) We had the new service installed and discovered we had lost all our music channels that we had on the od system and several other channels we had on the old system. If we wanted those channes we had we would need to pay for additional packages. These channels were on the old system and now we are penalized with not having them available after the changeover. Again UNVELIEVABLE.

3) the On Screen Program guide covers up the existing channle playing while you are searching, something that drives my spouse nuts.

4)The wireless box reboots several times a week and while it reboots, the TV channel quits until it all reconnects again. We complained and had a tech out to check it out. He found issues with the signal coming to the house, did some work to rectify it but had to call in a cable team to do something to the box on the line coming into the house. Guess what we still had the same issues. I comppleained again after waiting almost an hour on hold on the phone and they decided to send us a new WiFi box. The tech dropped it off at the door and we had to figure out how to connect it on our own, another wasted hour or so. And guess what the problem still exists, although not as bad as the first box. The box rebots on its own occasionally, of the yv box has to be rebooted at times to get it going.

5) Wireless on this new system really sucks, the distance from the WiFi box is very limited, at leas half of the older unit we had. The attached wifi devices, (ie laptop, NAS, table, phones drop offline for no reason and you have to mess around trying to get them connected again. Another item that infuriates my spouse.

6) The remote unit seems to be VERY directional and you need to tilt and point the remote at a certain atitude and direction to get it to work.

7) the wifi speed varies from 40MBPS to 200MBPS at random, more on the low side compared to the high speed side. Communications seems inconsistenst and pausing.

9) we have two controllers for two tvs as we did with the old system. Apparently we owned the older boxes and there was no rebate for returning them. However now the second box is costing us $8.00 a month for the rest of my life, so will probably be dropping that one. 

10) I am sure I am forgetting some other tems we have experienced with Ignite, but I will leave it at that for now.

Gernerally we are not impressed with this new system, charged to move over, poor performance and connection issues. Would I recommend Ignite TV to others, absolutely not. Do go there. In discussions with my neighbours the same issues are happening to them, they are not impressed either. As much as I hate to change over I think I see Bell on the horizon as we are severely upset over this new system we were forced to go to.

So if you are considering changing to Rogers Ignite TV, look for an lternative, don't waste you time or frustration on this system. It is really pathethic.

Welcome to the forums.
I am sorry that your experience with Ignite has not gone great.

I am fairly recent to ignite (November 2020), and it has been quite good.  Certainly, the frequent reboots are not normal... we do not get anything like that, wifi coverage is better than my previous LinkSys.  The remote operates on Wireless, so it should not be directional at all, except for TV functions such as volume.

Speeds are much better that whatever Rogers was giving me pre-ignite.

Location may be an issue... we are in a "relatively recent" 45-year old GTA subdivision with underground wiring.

Let me address just one issue that will help your spouse...

Under settings - preferences

You can set the "Display mini guide over video" to OFF.

Then, when viewing a channel, the right arrow will display a mini-guide for the current time, to the right of the video.

You can pick a channel and press right-arrow again, and you will get a time-line for that particular channel.

Exit cancels the mini guide and restores full screen view.

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

My only comment: Rogers should not charge for installation of a service when the previous is being discontinued. That is poor, poor customer service and creates a very bad customer experience. They should know better.
kgrosvold
I Plan to Stick Around

I am very concerned as my current internet / digital TV promotions are coming to an end next month.  I would (almost) bet my house that I will not be offered further promotions, certainly not extend my existing ones as I will be told that I have to upgrade to Ignite TV to get any type of promotion because digital TV is discontinued.

I'm not going to rehash the reasons why I want to keep my internet and tv sources separate.

I will have a serious decision to make next month.

Kev

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

I was in the same position as you and was VERY reluctant to change. For me, switching to Ignite meant $15 less per month compared to my discounted digital promotion, and almost $100 per month cheaper than it would’ve been if I stayed on digital with virtually zero discounts going forward once my digital credits expired. I was told by numerous agents that I would get far better pricing on Ignite and very little incentive to stay on digital. I was also on Popular TV with digital and I’m now on Premier with Ignite. So I’m getting more value for less money with Ignite.

Now that I’m on Ignite, my only regret is that I didn’t switch sooner. Yes, there are certain things that digital does better, but overall, I really like the Ignite experience. I’m using the XB6 in bridge mode with my own router and everything has been very solid so far. My internet and in-home network has always been solid. So if your internet and home network work well, then Ignite will also work well for you. And my kids LOVE using the voice remote.

Obviously I don’t know what your reasons are for wanting to stay on digital, and you might have very good ones, but just wanted to share my thoughts and a different/positive perspective with you as I can understand the concern and reservation in a change like this.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Babylegs1
I Plan to Stick Around

Just want to give a different perspective.
Moved over to Ignite tv Christmas 2018 and would never go back to digital.
Love ignite tv !!