cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV website wants me to be in the US to view?

SonnyTheMoney
I'm here a lot

Hello, 

I hope someone can help me. I spent an hour on the phone with Rogers tech support, only to be disconnected when the initial tech went to speak with a supervisor or level 2 support and put me on hold for 10 min. 

The pics below should hopefully explain my problem. 

I use ignitetv.rogers.com quite often on my laptop inside of Chrome browser. I can still connect and see all my shows as well as my recorded shows. However, when I try to watch any program, live or recorded I get 2 errors. 

First says it is attempting to resume, then it ends with an error saying I MUST be inside the US to view? I have cleared all browser data and cookies, Flash is up to date as well. 

This is a new problem, as I said I have used ignite often on my PC with no issues seamlessly. 

We restarted my gateway, disconnected my ethernet and connected WiFi to the gateway. all of these did not solve the issue. As of this time I am unable to use ignite TV on my pc's.

There is a player error code 403.14007 I gave to the support tech but he did not know what it was. Why in the world would Rogers ignite want me to be IN THE US?

Any help?

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and have been with Rogers for about 2.5 months. My cable company was bought by Rogers so it was a forced switch but has been mostly pleasant with amazing download speeds (260 - 300 MBPS) typically. Using up to date Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any help,

~Sonny (please see below screenshots)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

**Labels Added**

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ignite TV website wants me to be in the US to view?

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Try this:

Pick "for you" and fill in the program name in the search box.

When you get the list of episodes, do NOT click on the episode to play... click on the 3 dots at the end.

One of the choices will be "watch options".  Pick the best "free-to-you" watch option.

See if that does anything different....

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I came to this thread to see if this was a roll out of the non-Flash version and that there was an error in the settings that needed to be fixed.   However, this looks like the same old Flash based interface.  

The interface looks the same to me, right up to the point it gives me the error. 

Not sure what the point of having error codes is, if the support for Rogers has no idea what they stand for. 

This worked fine with absolutely no problems for months. Nothing has changed on my end that I am aware of. I was aware that Google Chrome Flash support was ending, what is Rogers going to replace it with?

Your chrome is up to date? (newest updates?)
Are you using Incognito mode at all when trying to watch?

Your not using any VPN service at all, etc? (something that changes your IP/location around)

I just tested here, using Chrome 79.0.39, had to allow flash in chrome, but it was able to play at least the two channels that I tested.

chomyn
I plan to stick around

This is just a guess, but knowing that the Rogers Ignite PC / Web Based platform still uses Adobe Flash, the service will no longer work as it's been officially killed off by Adobe until Rogers upgrades to HTML 5 which won't be anytime soon knowing how slow they operate to fix anything.  I'm surprised they even used Adobe Flash to begin with considering it's old, obsolete and there was plenty of notice of it's demise.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chomyn wrote:

...the Rogers Ignite PC / Web Based platform still uses Adobe Flash... Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. 😉  It was corrected roughly 3 weeks ago.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Ignite-TV-App-Web-Version-Requires-Flash/...

chomyn
I plan to stick around

I'm still getting the same error and it hasn't been fixed,

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

Is it still the flash interface?  I suspect at this point the error message is wrong (defaulted to saying US).  Are you on a proxy (lots of full AV packages include one) or a VPN?  If you type whatsmyip into google is is a Rogers IP address (mine is 99.237.x.x)?

chomyn
I plan to stick around

I'm not using a VPN, DNS, and/or a PROXY of any kind.

After further investigation, I found the service does not work with Ubuntu for some reason even though it's web based and should work on any modern browsers including Chromebooks.  It's a little strange I'm getting this error for that reason as it works fine on a Windows machine.

If anyone knows a way how to get the service working with any Linux distribution it would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
It is the User Agent of your browser. It will report what operating system you are on. Look up ways to change your User Agent, it can be done, then it should work. I used to have to do this for all sorts of things back when I ran Linux desktops.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hate browser checks..
I mean, I get why they are there, so you can put messages/redirects for people using ones which will NOT work with how its designed.

But having done minor web work since.. well like dial up days,  I would often upgrade my browser as new ones came out.
Then you see things like the check says "If IE 8, 9 10, OK show me the page"
Well, since I just upgraded to IE 11.. that page doesnt work anymore 😛 till they updated it.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
That was just poor coding on their part, using absolutes instead of "and greater"

chomyn
I plan to stick around

I've already tried changing the User Agent and it's still not working.  The Ignite system isn't that great.  However the issues are more a Comcast issue as Rogers never built the infrastructure, but they are just using their technology.  It's another reason why it think's you have to be in the USA.  Bell Fibe is still far better and I've had less issues with it, but their internet is way too slow in my area.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
You are not the only one that regrets Rogers going with Comcast. Rumour has it that Comcast is a horrible partner to deal with.

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around

Still trying to connect with linux and using a plugin called user-agent-switcher to pretend i am on windows with chrome.  I get to the menu showing all channels but it tells me I need to be in the US to watch

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation