cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV very unrealiable after restored service

themysteryone
I plan to stick around

Hi Everyone...
Just to add, our Ignite TV is still very choppy. Most channels are having a hard time loading with the XRE-03137 error message. Channels are freezing and going dark. Very unstable.

**Added Labels**

93 REPLIES 93

Re: Ignite TV very unrealiable after restored service

Since the outage i am still having issues with my phone and internet. Not very reliable

Cvg
I've been around
I am in Innisfil. I have been experiencing this issue for a couple of years. Since outage it happens more often.

TLinSTJ
I've been here awhile

Up until the outage, my ignite tv and internet was working perfectly. Since it happened the TV has been laggy, prone to freezing and black screens and when watching recorded shows or on demand content, it is slow to to load, will just stop randomly and when trying to fast forward or rewind will freeze and jump all over.

Likewise the internet, which was up until the outage lightning quick, is now very very laggy. Everything goes slower, times out etc.

Anyone else having the same issues?

CatherineR
I've been here awhile
After 3 or 4 days my service was fine

TLinSTJ
I've been here awhile
Mine has been like it for almost 2 weeks now and it seems like its getting worse

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've had a few weird Ignite TV issues since the big outage but they have all cleared up and my TV service seems to be working normally again.

Immediately following the outage, the TV service was unwatchable due to network issues on Rogers side.  (These ongoing issues, after problems with the core network had supposedly been fixed, cannot be explained by Rogers' public statements.). The problems cleared after Rogers were finally able to get their internal network stabilized, but the service was horrible for days..

I also ran into problems setting recordings.  (Some Comcast customers reported similar problems.  As far as I could tell, it had nothing to do with the Rogers outage.  Apparently this was caused by problems with Comcast's servers, and not all customers were affected.).  I am not having any problems setting recordings anymore.

For a few days this past week, Ignite TV seemed to be working fine.  Then, all of a sudden, while watching TV, the screen would go black for several seconds.  I don't know what could have been causing this; the stream itself did not go down.  One time, I happened to be running a ping test (among other things) and was monitoring the network, and only the TV streams were affected; It was as if the streaming servers momentarily stopped sending traffic.  There were no latency spikes or other packet loss occurring on the local node/CMTS router.  Whatever the cause, I don't seem to be seeing these random blurps anymore.

Those were the most significant service issues that I saw.  Other family members, who also have Ignite, also saw the same A/V dropouts.  All of these problems have now gone away.

Tristapb
I've been here awhile
I thought I was the only one. My internet is awful too, so awful that I’ve called multiple times to complain that we cannot even steam movies/videos or play mobile games since the outage. Their solution? To send me a USED wifi pod that I have to pay $5 a month for lol

But, anyway, it really sucks that this isn’t just a me problem and that it is a lot of folks who are paying (expensive IMO) monthly fees to have services that just aren’t working as they should.

TLinSTJ
I've been here awhile
So I had a technician out and he fixed it really quickly. Here is what he did. He said that if your gateway is plugged in through a power bar it will slow it down, plug it directly into a wall outlet. Second thing he did was to use a pin and push in on the reset button on the box that the fibre comes into. If you hold it for 5 or 10 seconds it will reset but you need to do it until the lights flash. It took him two tries to get it to work. Once it reset we unplugged the gateway again for a couple minutes and let it reset.

My speed went from 2 - 4 Mbps before he did it up to 150-185 Mbps after.

Hopefully that works for you too

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to clarify my previous post:  Things were obviously very rough during the outage, and during the week that followed.  I got hit pretty hard.  However, all of my Rogers services have been stable for more than one month now.  If anybody else is still seeing ongoing problems, they are probably not related.

@TLinSTJ wrote:
So I had a technician out and he fixed it really quickly. Here is what he did. He said that if your gateway is plugged in through a power bar it will slow it down, plug it directly into a wall outlet. Second thing he did was to use a pin and push in on the reset button on the box that the fibre comes into. If you hold it for 5 or 10 seconds it will reset but you need to do it until the lights flash. It took him two tries to get it to work. Once it reset we unplugged the gateway again for a couple minutes and let it reset.

My speed went from 2 - 4 Mbps before he did it up to 150-185 Mbps after.

Hopefully that works for you too

Thanks for sharing this story!

Regarding power bars:  It's probably not widely known but power bars can and do go bad over time.  At best, the internal surge protection simply stops working.  However, depending on the design, when the internal circuitry in the power bars degrade, they can start emitting noise, make the power very dirty, and cause all sorts of weird problems to occur in any electronic devices that are plugged into them... and possibly even affect things that are plugged into other outlets in your home as well.

When all else fails, power-cycling and performing a "factory reset" of problematic equipment can also do wonders.

I'm really glad to hear that your speed issues got resolved.

carlboll
I've been here awhile
Thank you for this information