cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV terrible picture on Chromebook

TracyA
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,  I recently  bought a Chromebook and the Ignite TV quality of picture,  and streaming is terrible (pixelating constantly). 
Troubleshooting -

Same poor quality on Ignite TV extension and Chrome browser link, and also recorded shows on DVR. 
Downloaded channel extensions such as CP24, picture is perfect.
PC (browser link) and iPhone and iPad (app) are clear with no streaming issues. 
So I am assuming I have to change a setting somewhere? 

Thanks in advance. 

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ignite TV terrible picture on Chromebook

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TracyA wrote:

Hi,  I recently  bought a Chromebook and the Ignite TV quality of picture,  and streaming is terrible (pixelating constantly). 
Troubleshooting -

Same poor quality on Ignite TV extension and Chrome browser link, and also recorded shows on DVR. 
Downloaded channel extensions such as CP24, picture is perfect.
PC (browser link) and iPhone and iPad (app) are clear with no streaming issues. 
So I am assuming I have to change a setting somewhere? 

Thanks in advance. 

When using ignitetv.rogers.com , go into Settings (click the gear on the upper right) and click on Playback Preferences.  What is "Play Best Available" set to?

If that option is not enabled, the app may display a lower-quality, lower-bitrate stream.  If you have a device that is not fast enough to decode a high-quality stream or you do not have sufficient network bandwidth available, then you will need to disable this option.

The Ignite TV mobile apps have a similar setting.  However, I do not know whether Rogers supports or if they have even tested their mobile app on any Chromebooks.

arecad
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, Ignite pixelates and looks horrible in HD on a Chromebook. There seems to be a compatibility issue that Rogers has ignored since launch.

A workaround for this is to disable video hardware acceleration on your Chromebook and reboot. Problem with this is it causes video stuttering in other video apps. So you have to toggle this and keep rebooting when you want to watch anything else. Note this is not a solution at all - it's just a way to get Ignite to not pixelate on your Chromebook. Hopefully one day Rogers fixes this but based on how long it's been a problem, I wouldn't hold your breath.

(Possible malicious link removed)

You can google "how to disable hardware video acceleration on chromebook" to get the instructions.

jags_2000
I've Been Around

Chromebook is just fine for me. I watch NBA - TSN and SN from it, no problems.

slydude
I've Been Here Awhile

Jags_2000, wondering if Ignite TV still works for you on your Chromebook? As per the thread I started a few days ago (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-no-longer-working-on-my-Chromebooks/td-p/48...), it had been working fine for me on my Chromebooks and then a few weeks ago out of the blue, it stopped working on my 2 Chromebooks for no apparent reason.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation