Ignite TV set-top boxes now support HDMI-CEC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ignite TV set-top boxes now support HDMI-CEC

Looks like a new feature recently got added to the Ignite TV set-top boxes: HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC)

It always kinda bugged me that the Power button on the Rogers Ignite (XR15) Remote (All Power on the older XR11 model) issued a "power on/off" code to the TV and sent a "power on" to the Ignite set-top box.  As a result, when you turn the TV off, the Ignite STB would remain on and would continue streaming until it powers itself off after being inactive for a set amount of time.   Not anymore.

With the recent addition of HDMI Device Control, if you have a compatible HDMI-connected TV that has HDMI-CEC enabled:

- Pressing the Power button on the Rogers remote will power on (or off) the TV and now, as a result, will also power on (or off) the Ignite set-top box as well.  The same is also true if you turn your TV on or off using your TV remote.

- Issuing the "Sleep" voice command will put the set-top box into standby mode and will now also turn the TV off as well.

If you want to revert back to the old behaviour, you can turn HDMI-CEC off in "Settings / Device Settings / Power Preferences / HDMI Device Control (HDMI-CEC): {On, Off}"

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV set-top boxes now support HDMI-CEC

Finally, hope my box get that update. that was one of the thing that bug me the most about the box, I had to put the box to sleep manually before turn off the tv with the tv remote. It was one of the issue I wanted to post for a little while, I guest I won't need to post about this one now. 🙂
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache  I have Xi6-T set-top boxes and I don't believe that I am getting updates any earlier or any faster than anybody else.  Hopefully you will see this soon too.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although HDMI-CEC can be very helpful in some situations, it can also cause issues depending on how the particular remote control is programmed or the signals that remote sends. Also the equipment involved and the settings in that equipment need to be appropriate for the application.  Everything needs to work in concert.  See the following post where this is discussed. I don't wish to sidetrack this thread, I just wish to mention that HDMI-CEC may be helpful, but is not a panacea.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Problems-with-Ignite-Remote/m-p/456589#M5829

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57  Thanks.  I agree, totally.  HDMI Device Control is now On by default which is why I pointed out the Off switch, since it could cause problems/surprises for some.  I also didn't notice this change at first because I had HDMI Device Control disabled on some of my TVs.