Ignite TV service - 3rd party home security system monitoring and Ignite home phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite TV service - 3rd party home security system monitoring and Ignite home phone

I recently installed the Rogers Ignite bundle in my home with the internet based home phone. I have home security monitoring that was connecting through a Bell landline but is now inactive because of the switch to Rogers.

Do I need to do anything to retain the link to the home security monitoring?

Is there anything I could do if there was a power outage? 

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV service - 3rd party home security system monitoring and Ignite home phone

The Rogers tech should have wired to the demarcation point for your phones/jacks.  In this way the jacks in your home and your monitoring system connection to that demarcation point (phone block) should still be working. A lot of the installers seem to not do this because it may take a few extra minutes, or because the modem is not in the same place as before.  They often simply plug a cordless phone base directly into the modem instead of doing a proper wiring job to the demarcation point. Another option is sometimes to plug the modem into one of the wall jacks and "backfeed" the various phone connections.  

If this doesn't work, then you'll need to either have Rogers back or if they don't take responsibility, you may need to have your security system installers in to wire things up properly.

In order for the system to work in the event of a power failure, you'll need to plug the Rogers modem into a UPS that you purchase.  The security system usually has its own battery that obviously needs to work properly.

Some people now get a cellular connection for their security systems, but that usually costs an extra $10/month or so.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV service - 3rd party home security system monitoring and Ignite home phone

@pjn21 wrote:

I recently installed the Rogers Ignite bundle in my home with the internet based home phone. I have home security monitoring that was connecting through a Bell landline but is now inactive because of the switch to Rogers.

Do I need to do anything to retain the link to the home security monitoring?

Is there anything I could do if there was a power outage? 

Is your alarm panel displaying an error that no phone service is available or did your alarm company call you to report that they are not "receiving a signal" when your alarm system calls in?  In the former case, the alarm system is unable to call the alarm company; if it is the latter, then your alarm system may be incompatible with the Rogers service.

@57  is correct.  Your Rogers install technician should have ensured that the Ignite TV phone service was properly connected to your home telephone wiring (replacing the connection from the incoming Bell line with a connection to the XB6 modem) and should not have left before the alarm system was tested.

Like you, I also have a home alarm system that uses the telephone line.  It works fine with Ignite TV's phone service.  I knew, before switching to Rogers, that my alarm system was compatible with a Voice-over-IP-based telephone service IF the VoIP hardware is configured properly.  My alarm system is connected to a RJ31X jack, which allows the alarm system to seize the phone line.  I also had my XB6 modem installed in my basement, right next to all of my incoming services.  All that I needed to do was disconnect the Bell phone service and patch into the telephone jack on the XB6.  I also have a UPS that provides battery back-up for all of my critical networking hardware; I should be able to ride out most power outages that I am likely to see.

My Rogers install tech (a sub-contractor) had limited telephony knowledge so I tested the alarm system myself after he left.  I didn't have any problems with my alarm system seizing the phone line or communicating with the alarm company.  However, after the alarm system released the phone line, I ran into a weird situation where I was able to get a dial tone but could not place a call.  (Not good if you need to call the alarm company after a false alarm.)  I called Rogers tech support and was fortunate that I was able to speak with a support rep that actually understood voice, who asked me all of the right questions.  I gave her the information that she needed, and the call ended with her saying, "Thanks very much.  I'll escalate this ticket and we'll get this resolved."  And the Rogers team did.

@pjn21  I would call the Ignite TV Concierge team and discuss this issue with them.  I'll say again that I agree with @57 's suggestions and recommendations.

I've Been Here Awhile

@G and @ 57 - thak you both for your comments. I think I have it all working ok now. I just need to purchase a UPS