Ignite TV - not able connect to Sony Bravia TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite TV - not able connect to Sony Bravia TV

Rogers Ignite TV Boxes not working with Sony Bravia TVs!?!

Hello,

Huge disappointment with the switch over from Rogers Cable TV to Rogers Ignite due to the fact that the Rogers Ignite Box will not work with my Sony TV.  The other Ignite box we have works with the Samsung on the first floor.  I was not told ahead of time that there is major ongoing issues with Sony Bravia TV's and the new Ignite boxes.  I have an older Sony Bravia (KDL-26M4000) that still worked fine (with Rogers Cable HDPVR Box) and I would love to continue to use it with this new Ignite box.  After much frustration and anger I am now forced to purchase a new TV!!...hoping to stick with Sony and perhaps a newer model may fare better...not holding out much hope!  Of course finding a high quality TV that suits my needs size-wise (26"-32") is impossible!!!!   If anyone else out there is experiencing a similar issue with their Sony TVs not connecting to Ignite TV boxes I would love to hear.  I have contacted Rogers and Sony multiple times but have gotten absolutely no where with either...Rogers is apparently looking into it???    Thank you for your time.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Ignite TV - not able connect to Sony Bravia TV

How does a sony tv not work with Ignite tv? Please explain.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

How does a sony tv not work with Ignite tv? Please explain.

There are several ways this can happen:

1. The HDMI handshake between the Rogers box and the TV is not working properly.  This results in the box sending the wrong format to the TV, resulting in no picture/black screen. (Say 4K to a 1080P TV, or 1080P to a 768P TV)

2. It's possible that the firmware of older TVs is not compatible with the Rogers box.  Have you updated the firmware on the TV?

3. These issues are usually easy to remedy by connecting the box to a different (working) TV and setting the output format at something like 1080i (manually) since all HDTVs can accept 1080i signals. This can usually be found under "settings" somewhere.  (I don't have Ignite so I can't tell you exactly) however, you should be looking at all the settings anyway to ensure that the box is set up to optimize the picture, sound and other variables for your particular situation.  It's extremely rare that the default settings of any TV or box are appropriate for a particular application.

4. It is the responsibility of the technician to get IgniteTV working with any HDTV that you have (especially if it has an HDMI connection).  Don't let them leave your home until they do get it working and don't let them tell you that any HDTV is incompatible. That would be extremely rare.  It is usually just a matter of setting the box up properly, even if the TV firmware is out of date.  If the technician can't get it done, get another technician.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with 57.

Your best bet would be to move one of the boxes temporarily to another working TV.

Press the rogers button, then go into settings by going over to the cog wheel icon.
Not at home so cant compare the exact spot, but there should be a video settings part.

In there, do as 57 suggested.  At min, move it to a forced 1080i.  If not further.
You could even move it much lower to start.

Then move it back to the other TV and see if it connects/displays.

Assuming it does.. could keep trying raising up one step at a time.

I'm Here A Lot

what was the model number of your Sony Bravia tv? i just upgraded to Rogers Ignite tv and im getting it installed next week and i have a newer sony Bravia X900e 4K UHDTV (2017)i am hoping that there isnt any problems connecting the ignite tv box to it
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

User never came back.. so we dont really know the resolution.

It had sounded like it was a much older one, so it might be a completely different type of issue.

There is ALWAYS a potential 'handshake' issue between devices, across any devices.
But the newer stuff, hopefully has better firmware to help avoid this.  (or at least, easier to update the firmware)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@david_cimini12 wrote:
what was the model number of your Sony Bravia tv? i just upgraded to Rogers Ignite tv and im getting it installed next week and i have a newer sony Bravia X900e 4K UHDTV (2017)i am hoping that there isnt any problems connecting the ignite tv box to it

The OP's TV (KDL-26M4000) is a 768P TV from around 2008 that accepted signals up to 1080i. I'm guessing that the box was sending 1080P or 4K due to a firmware issue, as discussed earlier in this thread.  

@david_cimini12 : Your newer TV shouldn't have any issues.

I'm Here A Lot

okay perfect thanks for the info!