Ignite TV is awesome, when it works....installation experience, not so great...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite TV is awesome, when it works....installation experience, not so great...

I ordered the Rogers Ignite TV - 1Gbps with Premier package with two boxes about two weeks ago and my installation was this past Friday May 10th and I just wanted to share my experience:

The install was scheduled between 4pm-6pm and I even had to come home a bit early from work The installer never showed up until after 6pm - around 6:15pm, no apologizes, nothing and from there it went downhill. 

There were two installers that showed up, one looked like he was a supervisor connecting, checking signals and the other helped install the boxes, getting stuff out, etc. They spent at least half hour trying to get the Rogers modem connected and when they couldn't they just swapped them, I believe 2 were changed and finally the 3rd one connected and put the modem in our family room where our previous modem was. Once it was connected they set up the wifi for the downstairs TV and the box and started to work.

I have my own wifi mesh system - Netgear Orbi router with 2 satellites. I knew they wouldn't physically install to the mesh and I understood that so they just left that as is and told me I could use both SSIDs, the Netgear router and the Rogers modem and connect to either if I want to. I knew that was incorrect and had a feeling it would go downhill because clearly the installer didn't know much.  

On the upstairs TV they installed those garbage powerline adapters and the picture was freezing and breaking up, one of them said it was normal and should clear up once set. When both TVs were setup, the installer that looked like was the assistant was going over the remote on the upstairs TV. I went downstairs and the main installer looked to have already left and was waiting for his colleague in the truck.

The whole install looked like a complete rush job because during the process the main installer kept answering personal calls and was was eagerly trying finish quickly and soon as the TV picture on the downstairs TV was on and the phone line dial tone was on he just left.   

When they left around 7:15pm that is when the problems started. The solid white light on the modem turned to solid red, nothing was working - internet, tv and home phone. I called concierge and they tried to help me when I gave them the serial number and mac address of the modem and they said it wasn't in their system but they confirmed with the sales team that the order was there but wasn't processed by the installer and to close to midnight and reboot the modem then should be activated, which I thought was strange. Also since the install wasn't properly done they credited the full install fee. Luckily the concierge booked another technician that would available Saturday just in case. Come midnight, rebooted the modem, nothing worked. What a lousy Friday night as I was missing the NBA Playoffs with a game airing that night. 

Next day, still nothing, the modem had a solid red light. The technician called me around noon and said he will be there between 2pm-4pm. He came right at 2pm and again two installers came by and just have to say what a complete night and day difference. These two that came first thing they noticed was the shoddy job the previous installer did, they didn't say it but you could tell by the body language and them shaking their heads. One of them took a picture of the bottom of the modem and went back to their truck and contacted Rogers head office, spent about half hour. They came inside and asked me "did the other installer by chance swap modems?" and I said "yeah, 2 were swapped and 3rd one stated to work" then he said "Rogers had a completely different serial number which is why your modem went solid red when that installer left and why it was not showing on your account". I was quite upset how terrible the initial install went what a waste of time. They activated the modem and got a solid white light. Success!

They properly reconnected the downstairs TV and it was working. First thing they did with the upstairs TV was remove those garbage powerlines and used the Rogers wifi modem which worked fine. Internet and home phone worked fine. However, they were nice enough to explain if I wanted to use my own wifi mesh system which would work much better to do as follows: make sure the SSID on the mesh is the exact same as the SSID on the Rogers modem, disable the wifi on the modem and change the mesh into AP mode. They didn't physically do it but said that is how they setup the eero mesh and should be very similar to mine.

Once they got everything working they went around checked the signal coming into the house, signal in each room and made sure I was satisfied before leaving. In total they spent at least 2.5 hours. Thats what I call a personalized install unlike the day before. 

When they left I started to play around with the Netgear Orbi mesh, changed the SSID on the mesh exactly as on the Rogers modem, disabled  the wifi on the modem, changed the Netgear into AP and success! it worked and great signal throughout. The great thing about the Netgear Orbi system are each of the satellites have 4 gigibit ports on the back and I had one in the room upstairs where the TV was so I plugged an ethernet cable from the back of the Orbi satellite to the IP box, rebooted the box and the box says ethernet connected under device. Works great!

On the downstairs TV, the IP box is connected wirelessly since its less than a foot away from the modem and Netgear router. So I plugged an ethernet cable from the Netgear to the IP box, rebooted the box and success! says ethernet connected under device.

Since Saturday Ignite TV has been working flawlessly, 4K quality is awesome and love the voice control. Its crazy how completely different the install experience was between both days but I'm glad at least Rogers gave me the full credit of the install because what I received Friday was not a personalized install.

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully you don't have to or maybe already have had this problem with their install. But once Ignite TV is properly configured into your home it works wonderfully and highly recommend it. 

*Added Labels*

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Ignite TV is awesome, when it works....installation experience, not so great...

Great glad it finally worked out for you.

I have had Ignite TV since last July and following this forum I can say that 6 time out of 10 the problem is the wifi connection.

If you can do not use wifi for the TV boxes, use CAT5 wired. Even go out of your way to use a wired connection. This eliminates so much problems that wifi can have. Whether that is the mesh wifi or the modem wifi, still can create problems.

Had a friend get Ignite TV recently. His TV boxe was literally 2 feet from the modem and yet the installer still used wifi to connect it. I took a short piece of CAT5 and connected it 

Why would you use wifi when wired is right there? Beyond me why they would so that. Just does not make sense to me.

Enjoy the Ignite TV.

Bill

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite TV is awesome, when it works....installation experience, not so great...

Thanks for this post. I have an install scheduled in 6 days, and have been seeing all kinds of problems in the forums. Did you bridge to your own router? I have the Hitron modem bridged to my Asus router, and all works good, but I am hoping that I get the 2nd install crew, the FIRST time.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have 3 TV's, an Android box, Apple TV, and all are hard wired. Wireless just didn't do it. I don't have Ignite yet-it's scheduled for install this Sunday. Right now I have a Hitron modem bridged to an Asus router, then from the router to an access point, and all is good. I wanted to get a better monthly rate, and the only way is to go with the Ignite bundle. But I'm still debating.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have my modem bridged and have a Netgear R7000 router and 2 Asus routers in AP mode.

All is working with my 3 Ignite TV Boxes, ( 2 wired, 1 wireless) .  But it seems I am the exception around here because others have done the same and could not get Netflix to work.

The TV Boxes ethernet ports are only 10/100 but don't worry about it because streaming video even 4k, only pulls max 7 to 20 meg or so 10/100 works fine.

Good Luck !

Bill

I Plan to Stick Around

@scouternorm wrote:
Thanks for this post. I have an install scheduled in 6 days, and have been seeing all kinds of problems in the forums. Did you bridge to your own router? I have the Hitron modem bridged to my Asus router, and all works good, but I am hoping that I get the 2nd install crew, the FIRST time.

I also had the Hitron Coda-4582 and it was bridged and I used my own router. With Ignite TV they take your old modem and as you have to use the Arris XB6, which is the one they gave me. I actually did try to bridge the XB6 first to try with my mesh and TV didn't work. I changed it back to the XB6 wifi turned off and my router/mesh in AP mode and it worked again. I read others had success bridging the XB6 but it didn't work for me. Maybe just depends on the make/model of your router.