cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV home phone is not working no dial tone

cwong
I plan to stick around

hi, i have switched to ignite TV... tv and internet are working ok but the home phone is not working, there is no dial tone... have plugged the cordless phone in the phone #1 and reboot the hub accordingly, but the phone is not working and no dial tone...

any solution to get the home phone working again...

cheers and thanks

***Added Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ignite TV home phone is not working no dial tone

RogersYasmine

Hello @cwong,

We certainly want to ensure that your Ignite Home Phone service is working well for you!

Just to clarify, was the home phone service working previously? If so, when did you notice it first stopped working? Do you have another phone that you can try plugging into the modem for testing purposes? Please also have a peek at this thread which provides helpful tips on connecting your home phone to the Ignite router.

If the issue persists, please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can have a look at our end. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

I'll also tag in some of our RE's to see if they have any helpful suggestions: @-G-, @Gdkitty, @Pauly, @57

RogersLaura

cwong
I plan to stick around

Laura,

it was working well before i switched to ignite, i noticed phone not working during the self installing process ... i called the tech who dropped off the equipment, but i received NO HELP and NO RESPONSE on this issue from the tech...

i have called the HELP and the CS scheduled a tech to be in on Monday, September 7, 2020... i hope i could get a QUICK fix from the community that i do not have to wait till monday ... i need the phone to work asap...

cheers and thanks,

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cwong  When did you switch to Ignite and what services did you previously have with Rogers (or any other service provider) immediately before switching to Ignite?  Were you previously a (legacy) Rogers Home Phone customer?  Did Ignite Home Phone ever work for you?

Where is your Ignite (XB6) modem/gateway currently located and what pieces of equipment (splitters, powered splitters, filters, attenuators, F81 "barrel" connectors, patch cables, etc.) are on the signal path from point that the Rogers coax enters your home to the point where the coax cable connects to your modem?  If you connect your modem directly to the coax cable that enters your home, are you able to get "dial tone" on a phone that is directly connected to the "TEL 1" jack on the XB6?

What happens if you unplug your telephone from the XB6 "TEL 1" jack, wait 10 seconds, take the telephone off hook, then plug the phone back into the "TEL 1" jack while it is still off hook?

There is no configuration that you yourself can do on the modem for the Ignite Home Phone service.  Everything is provisioned by Rogers centrally.  When Ignite Home Phone service gets activated, it needs to either be provisioned with a new telephone number or your existing telephone number needs to be ported.

If you cannot get dial tone, it would likely be due to the following:

- Something is not connected properly.

- Rogers has not provisioned the Ignite Home Phone service properly.

- The Ignite XB6 gateway is defective.

What happens when you try to call your home phone number from a mobile phone?  Do get your old voicemail greeting, ringing but no voicemail (or a new/default voicemail greeting), or does it say that your call cannot be connected or that the number is out of service?

cwong
I plan to stick around

i switched to rogers ignite bundle on sep 2, 2020 from the rogers digital tv, internet service 300M and home phone service... do not know what "a (legacy) Rogers Home Phone customer"... this is the first time i use ignite home phone and so it never work for me in ignite home phone...

the ignite modem cgm4140com XB6 located in the first floor where my old modem located. unplug the cable from the old modem to the ignite modem ... No NEW equipment (splitters, powered splitters, filters, attenuators, F81 "barrel" connectors, patch cables, etc.) are on the signal path from point that the Rogers coax enters your home to the point where the coax cable connects to your modem ... SAME AS BEFORE as the old services ... NO CHANGE in the WIRING... NO dial tone on a cordless phone that is directly connected to the "TEL 1" jack on the XB6...

"if you unplug your telephone from the XB6 "TEL 1" jack, wait 10 seconds, take the telephone off hook, then plug the phone back into the "TEL 1" jack while it is still off hook" NO DIAL TONE as well... i assumed something is not connected properly ... i assumed ignite phone was provisioned because i called the phone support CS, and he should notice if the ignite phone was not provisioned...

i called the phone and it rings and switched to voicemail ... since i never setup the voicemail so i just hangup....

any help to get a solution or i need to wait for the tech to come on monday, sept 7, 2020...

cheer and thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cwong  I don't work for Rogers.  I don't know what discussions you have had with Tech support so far, what equipment you had installed (or where) before switching to Ignite, or what guidance the Rogers installation provided you.  In the past, Rogers did not allow existing Digital TV and Home Phone customers to self-install any Ignite services.  Presumably, this was because existing installations needed to be "cleaned up" before installing Ignite.  If you have any old/obsolete splitters on the signal path, they could interfere with your modem's connectivity to the Rogers network.

With Ignite TV/Internet/Home Phone, you should not have any splitters installed on the signal path and the only device that you should now have connected to the Rogers network is the Ignite XB6 WiFi modem.  The Ignite modem should either be directly connected to the incoming coax feed from the street, or that incoming feed should be connected to the coax cable feeding your wall outlet (where you have connected the Ignite modem) using an F81 coax coupler.  The only reason for anything extra to be installed on the signal path is if a technician installed it to either amplify or attenuate the signal to your modem.  ALL of your old Rogers equipment must be disconnected and any connections to any (now unused) wall outlets must be disconnected as well.

At least your phone number is still active... but I don't know whether it is active on the old Rogers Home Phone service or the new Ignite Home Phone service.

The Ignite Home Phone self-install guide does not contain any troubleshooting information beyond restarting your gateway... and I would recommend power-cycling the Ignite modem.

All that I can suggest is that you temporarily connect the Ignite modem directly to the incoming signal from the street to see if that fixes the problem.  If it does not, call tech support and have them double-check their provisioning and that they have activated the correct serial number/MAC address for your modem in their system.  If that does not resolve the problem, you will have to wait for a Rogers tech to come to your home to troubleshoot the installation.

cwong
I plan to stick around

you are corrected that rogers did not allow existing digital tv and home phone customers to self-install the ignite service... i waited for ignite since march 2020... lately, they allow to schedule for the ignite service either self install (for $19.99 or $29.99) or for tech service ($99.99)... i picked the cheap price for self install... i never expected that the home phone would not work... i expected either internet or ignite tv will not work or both ... it was out of my surprise that both internet and ignite tv working ok but the home phone is not...

i asked the tech about the wiring in my basement when he dropped off the equipment, there are many coax cables with splitters etc... the tech told me DONOT TOUCH any of the wiring, just unplug the cable from the old modem and plug it to the new modem input and take a cordless phone and plug it in the line#1 phone input ... the ignite tv just connect the power cable and setup either the ethernet or wireless connection ... i did accordingly and the ignite tv and internet working but the home phone is not working... i called the tech many times and he never response to my call to resolve the home phone issues...

thanks for your help and i will wait for the tech to come on monday, sep 7, 2020 and hopefully the tech will resolve the home phone issues for me so i can use the phone again....

cheers and thanks,

cwong
I plan to stick around

the tech came on monday, sep 7, 2020 ... he cleaned up the cables in the basement and took a few things ... he checked the phone line and he said it is working ok ... he did not know why my cordless phone was not working and no dial tone ... he said he did it so many times and it worked every time ... plug in the phone line to LINE #1, it works ... i asked the tech should there be any settings to be adjusted in order to make it work ... he said NO, no setting to be changed ... he said something was changed in my cordless phone and he did not know what it was ... he finished the call and left...

i surf the internet and see how to reset the cordless phone ... i found some info saying unplug everything and remove the battery from the base station phone set and wait a few minutes ... i tried and followed the instructions ... the cordless phone is working again...

i think there was some old settings in the base station phone set and prevented the phone to work with the new ignite modem ... when the battery was removed and it reset the phone with no info ... when i put the battery back on and connect to the new ignite modem, it reset the phone and working with the new ignite modem ... this was my guess ... the phone is working now ... the rogers tech is NO HELP at all...

cheers and thanks...

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
When diagnosing a home phone issue especially a no dial tone issue, having a cordless phone can complicate the troubleshooting because cordless phones are not immune to problems, so if you happen to own a corded phone anywhere in your home its advised to test with that, but if its not available at all, a cordless phone can be used but would require more troubleshooting steps

Heres something to remember, A Cordless phone can be plugged into a known working home phone jack, and can still experience a "no dialtone" issue, this is because there can be a pairing issue with the handset and the base station, there could be a power interruption between the base station and handset, there could be another device jaming the dect 2.0 frequency band the cordless phone operates on, or something else, like a weak battery or some other strange issue. but glad it got solved in the end

east0027
I've been here awhile

Thank you for the suggestion to "unplug your telephone from the XB6 "TEL 1" jack, wait 10 seconds, take the telephone off hook, then plug the phone back into the "TEL 1" jack while it is still off hook". It solved my "No dial tone/Check tel line" issue!  

nodialtone
I've been around
home phone has no dial tone on a regular basis ... all hooked up well and nothing changes in between time it works and does not work

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nodialtone wrote:
home phone has no dial tone on a regular basis ... all hooked up well and nothing changes in between time it works and does not work

Which Home Phone service did you have before you switched to Ignite Home Phone?  Can you get dial tone consistently with just a single telephone plugged directly into the "Tel 1" port on the Ignite gateway?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wonder if bell lines or something are still connected? And something is interfering?

I currently have my Ignite modem, going into a splitter.. with one line which goes around the basement to over to where my fax/printer is, the other into a demarc in the elec panel to the rest of the house.

And only time I have not had a dial tone, is when the whole service/internet was down.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
when the phone goes down, does the internet and tv also go down? when the phone goes down can you take a phone set and plug it into the tel 1 port of the ignite modem and see if calls work? this is bypassing your ISW aka inside wiring and it will help narrow down the problem
Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 in conversation