Ignite TV - first impressions and a few observations

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - first impressions and a few observations

@toolcubed wrote:
Does anyone know what the “Zoom” option does under “Video Display” settings in the Xi6 menu? Seems like toggling it between “Full” and “None” doesn’t do anything at all…

This setting only affects SD channels with a 4:3 aspect radio.  When set to "None", you will see a square picture with sidebars on a widescreen TV.  When set to "Zoom", the picture will get stretched horizontally to fill the screen.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Ahhh ok. So only SD channels and not SD content on HD channels, correct? Because all SD content on HD channels (e.g. Star Trek Voyager on CTV Sci-if) show the black bars on the sides regardless if Zoom is set to Full or None.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
Ahhh ok. So only SD channels and not SD content on HD channels, correct?

Yes, that's correct.  The Ignite set-top box can only Zoom (stretch) a channel that broadcasts with a 4:3 aspect ratio.... and the channel needs to be encoded in a very specific way to allow that to happen.

Because all SD content on HD channels (e.g. Star Trek Voyager on CTV Sci-if) show the black bars on the sides regardless if Zoom is set to Full or None.

Yes, because while source content may be 4:3, the channel itself is widescreen HD.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Ok cool. Makes sense. Than you!
toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

There’s another positive observation and significant improvement over digital, which I noticed after the first couple of days of using Ignite but forgot to mention in this thread…and it’s related to picture quality. When watching recordings on Ignite, picture quality is equally as good as when watching live tv or on demand content. On digital cable, picture quality of recordings was not very good and significantly worse than Ignite. There was a lot of compression and artifacts on all of my recordings on my NB3. I think it was because of the media shrink feature on those PVRs. Thankfully it’s not like that with cloud PVR on Ignite 🙂