Ignite TV - eero bridge/AP mode issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ignite TV - eero bridge/AP mode issues

Hello, @DavidHH

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I know how important it is to be able to log in to the modem to access the Admin settings in case you need to make any changes to your configuration or Wi-Fi login info. 

The username will be the same that is on the label of the modem. The default password will only work to set up the modem from factory default. Once a Wi-Fi network has been created the password becomes whatever the Wi-Fi password is.

Please give that a try and let us know if you are still having issues logging into the modem.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you RogersTony for the suggestion but no luck with the Modem User name from the label and the WiFi password.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How about your home phone number per post 7 of this thread?  If not, you may have to somehow reset the modem and start over.  PM the community helps people on this forum:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried that combination also 57.

At this point I have no issues or need to be into the Modem Configuration, I just felt it could be helpful at some point if there was some Troubleshooting to do.

My other thought is based on a comment from Tech, is that they do have the appropriate Password and just do not share it with Homeowners who could possibly "mess things up".

Thank you for your feedback

DavidH

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty 

I am thinking about getting the mesh network. But Eeros said that the Arris modem needs to be in bridge mode for the Eeros to work. Looks like you are able to avoid this.

What is the benefit of having the modem in gateway mode and Eero in bridge mode in comparison to the other way around?

And did you change it yourself or can I ask the installer to do it in the same way you have it?

Currently, I have two Ethernet cables that each one are connected to a gigabit switch. Each gigabit switch has 4 wired devices attached to it. That is a total of 8 devices (all of which do not have WiFi capabilities).

The other end of the two Ethernet cables are plugged into an Ethernet port on the back of my Hitron modem.

If I switch to Ignite, my hitron modem is replaced with the Arris modem. The technician who came by my house to do some testing said that the Arris signal is not strong enough to carry throughout the house and I would need the Eeros Mesh Network.

The Eeros device only has one Ethernet port. If the Arris modem is setup in bridge mode, then I would need to buy another gigabit switch and plug the two existing Ethernet cables in the new switch and then wire another Ethernet cable from the new switch to the Eeros device.

My two questions:

1. Will the Eeros device support a daisy chain of gigabit switches that are connected to 8 network devices?

2. Is it possible to keep the two Ethernet cables connected to the Arris modem and the Eeros mesh network activated in my home?

3. If the answer is 'yes' for the second question. Can a device such as a computer/laptop that is connected to the WiFi of Eeros see any of the wired devices (ie. NAS) connected to the Arris modem on my home network?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tdeliosThe configuration that Rogers currently supports with Ignite TV is to have the XB6 in gateway mode and to run the eero Wi-Fi mesh in bridge mode.  With that setup, you could keep the same network topology that you currently have with the Hitron modem but you would also, unfortunately, lose some of the eero's advanced device management capabilities.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/208276903-How-do-I-bridge-my-eeros-

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000825206

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

-G- is correct.

The modem is left in gateway mode.   Which would leave both ports available and accessible, all on the same network.
Then the Eero is in bridge.  So its not acting as a router itself, more just as an AP.

Correct, that you do loose the more specific device management part with the Eero itself, there is the Ignite WiFi app available, which works at the router level.  Allowing device management, where you can enable/disable devices, only allow for X amount of time a day, etc.

So I dont think you would specifically have an issue in the way that you had concerns.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty, what do you think is the Technical reason the Rogers only supports the Modem in Gateway Mode and Eero in Bridge Mode?

Do you think that eventually Rogers could support the Eero in full Gateway Mode so that we are not so limited? After all they are selling and installing the Eero Product which is a great product but limited by the configuration?

DavidH

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH wrote:

Gdkitty, what do you think is the Technical reason the Rogers only supports the Modem in Gateway Mode and Eero in Bridge Mode?

Do you think that eventually Rogers could support the Eero in full Gateway Mode so that we are not so limited? After all they are selling and installing the Eero Product which is a great product but limited by the configuration?

DavidH

When I said "Not Supported", that's different from "Does not work."  Ignite TV is VERY flexible and will work in many different configurations.  However, Rogers will only support configurations that they have tested fully.

I currently have my XB6 in bridge mode.  I also have my own router (running OpenWrt) doing the routing and my own Wi-Fi mesh in bridge mode.  It all works great... but it's not a certified/supportable configuration from Rogers' perspective, nor can they test or troubleshoot this configuration.

So, if I ever do need to call Rogers tech support, I've set my home network up in such a way that, within a minute, I can put my XB6 into gateway mode, connect my set-top boxes directly to the XB6 in a wired configuration (and take my own gear out of the equation) and get back to a very simple setup that Rogers can fully support, test and troubleshoot.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats exactly it.

You CAN do other setups.  But the techs on the phone, only have a knowledge base of how to troubleshoot, on the one configuration.  

As they seem to be moving away from the Eero anyways, moving to the new pods, which will able to be directly controlled via the modem interface & the ignite internet app.