cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV clients

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

When you are on Ignite TV do you have to use a Rogers TV device as a client at each TV in your house, or are there Ignite TV client apps for devices like Roku, Fire TV, AndroidTV, Xbox One, and TV OSes like Samsung, LG, etc?

*Added Labels*

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ignite TV clients

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

When you are on Ignite TV do you have to use a Rogers TV device as a client at each TV in your house, 

Yes.

@wayner92 wrote:

..are there Ignite TV client apps for devices like Roku, Fire TV, AndroidTV, Xbox One, and TV OSes like Samsung, LG, etc?

No.

Lurker
I'm a senior advisor
At $8/month per box above the first one....

wayner92

Does Xfinity offer this service?  It looks like there is at least an Xfinity beta app to do this, see:  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-Stream-on-Roku-and-how-does-it-work/ta-p/2...

Isn't Rogers Ignite just rebranded Comcast Xfinity?

Or does Rogers just want to make a revenue stream from renting boxes, even if it is inconvenient to customers?

wayner92

And here is more on Comcast's strategy in this area: https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

By the end of 2018, roughly two-thirds of the smart TVs on the market will be able to stream TV from Comcast natively, without forcing you to futz with multiple inputs and multiple remotes to manage your TV, cable box, and streaming device.

Comcast is moving beyond the box and porting the user interface for its elegant, intuitive Xfinity X1 set-top box brick by digital brick to four of the leading smart TV operating systems. The X1 interface is already available in beta for Roku TV smart TVs (from TCL, Hisense, and others) and Roku streaming devices as well as some Samsung smart TVs. The company has announced plans to launch in beta on Sony and LG smart TVs before the end of 2018.

“Smart TVs are absolutely part of our strategy and our vision,” says Comcast’s Xfinity Services chief Matthew Strauss. “When you look at the video landscape today, there are more choices than have ever been available before at the touch of a remote. It’s a good time to be alive if you like television.”

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At some point in the future you may be able to do what you want, but it's not available at this time with Rogers, hence the previous answer.

Rocky888
I've been around

They do not have an app for Fire-TV and block casting from their mobile apps. I just called Concierge and confirmed. Only option was to order more set top boxes for our other TVs. I canceled my install that was scheduled for tomorrow.

rmamzc
I've been around

Do you know if Rogers has any plans of moving their platform in this way?  I am not looking for a timeline just if they might be entertaining this capability.  I know that the xfinity capability has existed for a couple of years now as per an earlier post and in the fast paced world of technology that is a long time.  Also the primary competitor for this business where I live provides this functionality and has for a while.  I realize that your last post on this topic was in January but again 3 months equals long time and I think an update would be nice.  Thanks.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rmamzc wrote:

Do you know if Rogers has any plans of moving their platform in this way?  I am not looking for a timeline just if they might be entertaining this capability. 

A few people asked about this in the "Ask an Expert" event a few months ago.  The only response given by the Product Managers was, "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!"

I don't think that we can expect any other response from Rogers on this.

poop1231
I'm here a lot

No App for Apple TV switching to Bell now they gave Gigabit in my neigbourhood and they have an Apple TV App.   I just want one box for everything. 

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Roger's has been over promising exciting new things for Ignite and under delivering.I think when my current  deal is up I will go elsewhere and put the extra $24 a month I spend on box rentals to better use. It's 2020  and all they can offer is Smartstream with a few limited apps? 

phil57
I plan to stick around

I agree, maybe for new and exciting things for Ignite  they mean their gonna make it work instead of freezing,no sound and constantly unplugging the stupid things.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:

Roger's has been over promising exciting new things for Ignite and under delivering.I think when my current  deal is up I will go elsewhere and put the extra $24 a month I spend on box rentals to better use. It's 2020  and all they can offer is Smartstream with a few limited apps? 

When I was a Digital TV customer, Rogers was charging $25/month for a PVR and $8/month for an SD box.  I suppose that for them, charging $8/month for a 4K box would be progress.

Rogers also can't ship an Ignite client on streaming boxes until Comcast themselves ships it to their customers.  So far, Comcast only has a Roku client available for beta testers... and that does still not support all of the features that are available on the Xi6 STB... and lack of a conventional remote control makes usability painful at times.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-Stream-on-Roku-and-how-does-it-work/ta-p/2...

yyz64
I plan to stick around

Ok but you could also buy the boxes for Digital cable as well.Now there is NO choice for what is probably a $100 box 

Not to mention the rather limited apps they have and   like  they said  "exciting " things coming. Well?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:

Ok but you could also buy the boxes for Digital cable as well.Now there is NO choice for what is probably a $100 box 

FYI, Rogers' broken internal processes dinged me with a $109.99 (+ tax) "unreturned equipment" charge (in advance!) when they sent me a replacement Xi6 set-top box.  It hit my bill before I even had a chance to activate the new unit, let alone return the defective one.  I don't know whether this could be indicative of a potential selling price.

Not to mention the rather limited apps they have and   like  they said  "exciting " things coming. Well?

I suspect that the COVID-19 pandemic put some announcements on hold.  If you treat the Xfinity product roadmap as a blueprint, new offerings are definitely in the works.  However, generic statements, such as "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!" are clearly pre-approved boilerplate responses that really don't say anything substantive.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 in conversation