Ignite TV channel duplication

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Ignite TV channel duplication

I just had an Ignite home package installed today.   We came from Fibe so there is a bit of getting used to things, but at first glance it all looks ok.     I am puzzled by what looks like duplicate channels on the service.    For instance, CNN is on channels 33 & 103.   PBS (WPBS) is on both 64 & 175.   Those are just examples, there are multiple instances of that through out.

In both cases above, the channel description shows that both are HD and I can't see any differences in PQ.   Am I missing something?   Is there a difference or are they really duplicates?   And if duplicates, why?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Re: Ignite TV channel duplication

Hey @minstrel27!

Welcome to the community!

Seeing duplicate channels can certainly cause some confusion for sure, and even appear redundant I suppose from a customer standpoint. Totally reasonable though so I'll be happy to clear it up as best I can.

To my understanding channel sets are done in what's referred to as "neighborhoods." These are often created for region to region and separating channels available for national viewing. Due to this it's possible to see some overlap and duplicate channels. In the US for example it's not uncommon to see one network show up three times.

@RogersAndy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The channels that are below 100 are the channels that used to be on analogue cable and a lot of legacy people knew these channels from 20-30-40 years ago. CBC used to be channel 6, etc.. These channels are often duplicated in the higher channels. When Rogers started adding HD channels in around 2001, they started with channel 500, but eventually ran out of channels after 100 HD channels were added.

After that they started grouping the channels into segments like news, children, sports, movies, timeshift, etc.  So you will see a number of duplicate channels that are different from what Bell did.  For example, Bell started duplicating channels over channel 1000 and those were the HD channels for the equivalent channels without the 1 in front of them that were SD.  Rogers has not yet gone over channel 999.

I'm Here A Lot

ok,  that explains it then.  So bottom line the channels are identical and I can select whichever one I remember or happen to be closest to in the guide.  All roads lead to Rome...

Thanks for the clarification!