cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV box with old standard TV

Scousegirl
I'm here a lot

I'm thinking of upgrading to Ignite TV. I have one HD TV and 3 older models of TV that do not have HDMI ports. I know I need a box for each TV, but can an Ignite box even be connected to these old TVs?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV box with old standard TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. There are converters available that can convert HDMI to Component video/analogue audio, or composite video/analogue audio. Rogers used to even provide those for people in your position. Not sure if they still do.

2. If the TV doesn't have HDMI, then the video quality is usually pretty poor, the TV screen is usually relatively "small"  and the (old) TV could easily be replaced by a new one that is larger and better, for not very much money.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. There are converters available that can convert HDMI to Component video/analogue audio, or composite video/analogue audio. Rogers used to even provide those for people in your position. Not sure if they still do.

2. If the TV doesn't have HDMI, then the video quality is usually pretty poor, the TV screen is usually relatively "small"  and the (old) TV could easily be replaced by a new one that is larger and better, for not very much money.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
As 57 says, you can use a converter. I had a TV that the HDMI port was dead on and I used a HMDI to component converter.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
As 57 says, you can use a converter. I had a TV that the HDMI port was dead on and I used a HMDI to component converter.

Just out of curiosity, which specific make/model of "HDMI to Component" converter are you using, what is the Video Output Resolution on your Ignite set-top box set to, and what video format is the video converter outputting to the TV?

Thanks!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In all honesty, I would NOT upgrade to ignite TV if you are still using old Television sets that are Standard Definition and using NTSC inputs such as coaxial and composite.

New systems like ignite are designed for Newer TV sets. you WILL run into issues on your old TV, you will have smaller viewable screen space because the output of the ignite will always add black bars to the top and bottom, plus some shows might already be piller boxed and that may add to the problem.  hdmi hdcp issues with come converters too.

the old boxes are designed for old tvs, the new boxes are designed for new tvs, when your TV breaks and you replace it with a modern one, then you can upgrade to ignite

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I am not using it anymore. The TV finally had other problems and we replaced it. I do not recall the details on it, I thought I got it from Amazon but I do not see it in my orders so I do not know where I got it.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation