cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV app for Roku, FireTV, etc?

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Can you access Rogers Ignite TV from apps on third party video streaming devices like Roku, FireTV ,etc?

I believe that Rogers Ignite is just a rebranded version of Comcast's Xfinity IPTV system and there is a Comcast Xfinity app for these types of devices.  It would negate needing a box from Rogers at each TV, and allow you to get by with one less source so less input switching.

For more info on the Xfinity app see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-Stream-on-Roku-and-how-does-it-work/ta-p/2...

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ignite TV app for Roku, FireTV, etc?

Mike_33
I've Been Here Awhile
In other words, Rogers is clinging to their $10/month rental charges like someone hanging from a cliff.

Bell is definitely the way to go for this reason alone.

hmyatt
I'm Here A Lot

I talked to 2 different representatives and a tech person from Rogers who all confirmed that the Ignite TV app works on firestick and roku.  These are a couple of the sites I used to get the app on it.  I thought that this was a new development that Rogers had just implemented within the last couple of months.

https://techrark.com/ignite-tv-app-on-firestick/   https://freeiptvapk.com/ignite-tv-app-on-firestick/

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mike_33 wrote:
In other words, Rogers is clinging to their $10/month rental charges like someone hanging from a cliff.

Bell is definitely the way to go for this reason alone.

Well, you can stream from a mobile iOS or Android device to an Apple TV box or a Chromecast...  and some folks are also watching Ignite TV on a home theatre PC using a web browser... so there are alternate ways to watch Ignite TV on an actual TV without a set-top box.

Rogers has not said outright that that they will not offer an app on 3rd-party streaming boxes.  They have also not said whether they ever will either.  I'm guessing that they will... but that's just my opinion, and a pure guess on my part.

Edit: Please disregard the part about being able to cast to Apple TV.  This is something that I need to retest.

hmyatt
I'm Here A Lot

I have 2 brand new 4k smart tvs and I can't even get the Ignite app on them.  At least I'm getting two boxes free for a year but we use 5 tvs so it is a pain.  Except for the firestick/ smart tv problem,  I do like the Rogers package and is more than half the cost of Bell but to pay an extra $30 for additional boxes when I have firesticks seems excessive.  I do appreciate all your advice especially when I'm not terribly knowledgeable with all this new technology.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt wrote:

I talked to 2 different representatives and a tech person from Rogers who all confirmed that the Ignite TV app works on firestick and roku.  These are a couple of the sites I used to get the app on it.  I thought that this was a new development that Rogers had just implemented within the last couple of months.

https://techrark.com/ignite-tv-app-on-firestick/   https://freeiptvapk.com/ignite-tv-app-on-firestick/

Those sites just show you how to force load the app onto the device.  They don't say that it will actually work. 😕

If you search the Internet, you will also not only find those sites but also countless reports that a sideloaded Android app will not work.

If you don't see the instructions on https://www.rogers.com/support , don't believe what you see or read.

hmyatt
I'm Here A Lot
I guess I was just gullible. Live and learn. Thank you for your help.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt wrote:

I have 2 brand new 4k smart tvs and I can't even get the Ignite app on them.  At least I'm getting two boxes free for a year but we use 5 tvs so it is a pain.  Except for the firestick/ smart tv problem,  I do like the Rogers package and is more than half the cost of Bell but to pay an extra $30 for additional boxes when I have firesticks seems excessive.  I do appreciate all your advice especially when I'm not terribly knowledgeable with all this new technology.

I'm hopeful that Rogers will offer an Ignite TV app on other devices some day.  With Comcast, those apps are technically still in beta.

Ignite TV is a great service.  (I'm also a former Bell Fibe TV subscriber.)  Some things may seem a bit strange at first but Ignite TV also definitely has its advantages.  I hope it works well for you!!

@-G- wrote: Well, you can stream from a mobile iOS or Android device to an Apple TV box or a Chromecast...

How do you do it on Apple TV?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:

@-G- wrote: Well, you can stream from a mobile iOS or Android device to an Apple TV box or a Chromecast...

How do you do it on Apple TV?

I don't recall exactly, but it was from my iPhone.  I don't have an Apple TV box in my home but when I was visiting family, many many months ago, I was able stream a program that I had recorded.  I either used Screen Mirroring or was able to cast directly from the Ignite TV app.  I don't remember which, nor do I know for sure whether it would work today.

Mike_33
I've Been Here Awhile
I suppose there are ways around it, but I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that one of the largest communications providers in the country is making its paying users jump through hoops to do this, not to mention they are just falling behind their direct competitor in this category.

As a long time Rogers customer, it actually makes me upset that they are forcing their customers to switch to ignite TV, but aren’t up to speed with the latest tech and services they’re should be providing.

I’m done ranting.

heatherfa
I've Been Around

Rogers needs to be compatible with Roku and Firestick.  Bell Fibe app was very easy to use on the streaming device and gave you access to recorded shows outside of the country.  I think I may have to go back to Bell if Rogers doesn't update to streaming devices 

abcdeFU
I've Been Around
Any movement on this? We switched from Bell and had Rogers installed *today* and am ready to switch back already because I can only access Rogers in one room in my house now? I had Bell everywhere, and could take it on vacation with me anywhere in Canada via my Firestick.

JeffOgilvy
I've Been Here Awhile

I'd love to know if there is any updates on this also. I too recently switched from Bell and was able to use both my Firestick and Apple TV to watch Fibe on various TV's in the house.  I'm honestly a bit shocked that Xfinity has apps (Firestick and Roku) for this in the US, but Rogers, which is using their services here in Canada does not. It's not like it was just launched either, the apps were released a while back. 

Come on Rogers...give your customers the right technology OR stop charging us for rental set-top-boxes. 

Topic Stats