cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV app for Roku, FireTV, etc?

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Can you access Rogers Ignite TV from apps on third party video streaming devices like Roku, FireTV ,etc?

I believe that Rogers Ignite is just a rebranded version of Comcast's Xfinity IPTV system and there is a Comcast Xfinity app for these types of devices.  It would negate needing a box from Rogers at each TV, and allow you to get by with one less source so less input switching.

For more info on the Xfinity app see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-Stream-on-Roku-and-how-does-it-work/ta-p/2...

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ignite TV app for Roku, FireTV, etc?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This option is not (yet) available with Rogers. It may be at some future date. I suggest you check out the threads in this Ignite forum where this and numerous other questions have been discussed.

It is possible to use a computer or device to stream certain content (not all) using the Ignite App - similar to Anyplace for Digital Cable.  You can "cast" from this device to the TV, however, not all programming can be accessed in this way due to differences in negotiated rights.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-anywhere-tv-app-on-sony-bravia-tv/m-p/434029#M48633

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Any changes in the last three months?

robgoldstein
I've Been Here Awhile
Can't cast to firestick.
My app sees my Chromecast, but not my fire stick. Why is that?

Your app on the phone can see Google Chromecast, but it won't see FireStick because, other than on Chromecast, you need to install the specific app you're trying to cast, on to the device.

Chromecast: Will cast anything

Firestick: Need to download app onto stick before casting from that same app on phone (Netflix requires Netflix, Ignite has no Firestick app)

Roku: Similar to Firestick

So how does one stream rogers within there own home...does it leave someone to just the tv apps?  No secondary streaming devices like a PS station or firestick?

Seems like that is missing the market or streaming 

@pwardNB wrote:

So how does one stream rogers within there own home...does it leave someone to just the tv apps?  No secondary streaming devices like a PS station or firestick?

Seems like that is missing the market or streaming 

Rogers is "streamed" into your home via their dedicated TV box, and has to be done with their own "gateway" (router) to the internet.  

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular
Is there any update on this? Xfinity/Comcast has since released an app for these types of devices. I still can't watch Rogers Ignite TV from my Fire TV.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:
Is there any update on this? Xfinity/Comcast has since released an app for these types of devices. I still can't watch Rogers Ignite TV from my Fire TV.

When asked about this, Roger responded, "We have a lot of exciting new features that will be coming to Ignite TV. Stay tuned!"

That's really a generic non-answer provided by the PR department; Rogers has never hinted that they would ever offer Ignite apps on third-party streaming boxes.  That Comcast does just means it's possible that Rogers could, not that they necessarily ever would.

corrdes
I've Been Around

it has been several months since last asked if rogers ignite will provide an app for fire TV. any update? rogers ignite subscribers can access saved content from their “cloud”! why not from a streaming device???!!!

Mike_33
I've Been Here Awhile

Wondering the same thing.
I’m a Rogers Digital subscriber (conventional coax 4K cable boxes) and Rogers is FORCING me to “upgrade” to ignite by taking away my Anyplace TV abilities with my current subscription - I think this is complete nonsense considering they still don’t offer their Anyplace app on firestick, putting them miles behind other providers.

Typical Rogers.

I don’t know why this remains unavailable. Every competitor has this functionality.

Daberger
I've Been Around

I'm reading through the threads and I'm not sure there is a solution for Fire TV. 

I'm new to Ignite TV and would prefer to use my Fire TV remote to control my devices.  Can I program to use the my Fire TV remote with the XiT-6 box?  What brand do I select to make this work or is this feature not supported?

Thanks

How to get Ignite TV app to work on firestick and smart tv? I switched from Bell Aliant a couple of weeks ago on the promise that the Ignite TV app would work on a firestick.  That was why I had never switched in the past because I have 3 firesticks and 2 new smart TVs and the Rogers app would never work on them.  After days of attempting to get the app to work on the firestick, I finally called Rogers tech support.  After explaining the problem I was having, (I have the app on the firestick and it opens when I click on it but I get an error message when I try to click on a program) the tech informed me that the app doesn't work on a firestick.  I told him that I was told that it does work.  So he looked through his papers and said "why yes it does work.  I never knew that.  Wow it even works on the Roku.  I've got to try that."  Then he proceeded to read off the instructions to get the app on the firestick.  I kept telling him that I already have the app on the stick and that I just keep getting an error message when I try to access a program.  He didn't have a clue what I was talking about and told me to go check youtube for a video to fix it.  I have the app on 3 different firesticks and keep getting the same message on all of them even though I can even record programs from the app, but I just can't paly anything on it.  " This video stream is not playable under the current device conditions.  Please disconnect any external devices (including HDMI, screen mirroring, or casting devices) and try again.  Please HELP!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt wrote:
I kept telling him that I already have the app on the stick and that I just keep getting an error message when I try to access a program.

Which app did you install on your Fire TV Stick and where did you get it from?

Comcast offers their Xfinity Stream app on Roku, Fire TV and other devices but, as far as I know, Rogers has not released an Ignite TV app for any third-party streaming boxes... at least not yet.  If you side-loaded the Ignite TV Android app (or obtained it from an unofficial app store) then that will not work.

@hmyatt There is no Firestick app I thought? You can't just use the Android version it will not work. The closest thing is that you can use a Chromecast to cast shows but that's all. If the information you said you got is correct it's probably for something that's not yet fully released and as such is disabled.

There are a couple of sites and a Youtube video that shows you how to put the app on the firestick.  The app opens up and my channels, guide and recordings all come up.   It's just when I try to click on a show that I get the message.  

hmyatt
I'm Here A Lot

I got the app from google play and put it on my phone and, after making several adjustments to the firestick settings as per instructions from a couple of websites, I was able to transfer it to the firestick and the app opened up.  When I was first contacted by Rogers they told me the app now worked on the firestick because I specifically asked them that.  I would not have switched otherwise. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt wrote:

There are a couple of sites and a Youtube video that shows you how to put the app on the firestick.  The app opens up and my channels, guide and recordings all come up.   It's just when I try to click on a show that I get the message.  

YouTube will tell you how to do lots of stuff.  Maybe it did work at one time.  However, that doesn't mean that it's officially supported.

I believe Comcast has an Xfinity TV app in the Amazon app store but Rogers never released an Ignite TV app for the Fire HD tablets.  Some of Rogers' support documents even mention support for Amazon devices but this was taken from Comcast boilerplate and some critical details were not edited out.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt wrote:

I got the app from google play and put it on my phone and, after making several adjustments to the firestick settings as per instructions from a couple of websites, I was able to transfer it to the firestick and the app opened up. 

Yeah, no.  You can't do that... even if you kinda sorta can.

The Android Ignite TV app won't work on the Fire HD tablets either.

As far as I know, the Ignite TV Android app won't even work on a Chromecast or on an Android TV streaming box.

When I was first contacted by Rogers they told me the app now worked on the firestick because I specifically asked them that.  I would not have switched otherwise. 

I don't know why they would have told you that... unless Ignite TV support on the Fire TV Stick is imminent.  However, until you can actually install an official Ignite TV app from the Amazon App Store, don't count on it working.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hmyatt  At one time, I tried to find other ways to watch Ignite TV on mobile devices using a web browser.  This happened to work for me on iOS (although this is officially totally unsupported by Rogers) but I was never able to get it to work on Amazon devices.  As far as I could tell, they lacked compatible DRM support and I was never able to establish a stream.

I was also never able to find any way to successfully cast to a Fire TV Stick either.

Topic Stats