Ignite TV and Slingbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV and Slingbox

I just tried the HDMI splitter, it works the first time but after I logout and try to connect to the Slingbox again it doesn't work and I get the weak signal message on the screen. I got a powered splitter with HDCP 2.0. Suggestions? Canada Computers didn't have an HDMI to Component adapter. I found another place that does in Brampton which is a bit of a pain for me so anything I can do at Canada Computers would be much easier.

@57 wrote:

@fwd1955 wrote:

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  

He's got an Ignite box, not a Nextbox, hence his posts in this thread. The output signal on the Ignite boxes can be different (up to 4K). It also uses HDMI-CEC to automatically set the video output when connected to a TV.  The video output of the Ignite box needs to be set manually to something compatible with the Slingbox (like 1080i, not 1080P or 4K) when using such a device.  Also, any devices (like a splitter or converter box to CV) needs to have the appropriate specifications for the HDMI signal.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The newer splitters may follow HDCP compliance and not strip the copy protection signal like an older, different splitter (discussed earlier in this thread) may do. Conjecture on my part.

Devices are supposed to be HDCP compliant after all.

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/

The above article discusses HDCP and also talks about using a cheap splitter to strip HDCP...

I'm Here A Lot

Nice article 57, very educational, you are always on top of things.  I can't say for certain if my solution will work on on an Ignite box.  As I said, I haven't made the switch yet, and am hesitant to do so with all the glowing reviews I've read on the forum!  I currently have my splitter between a 4642HD box and the SlingBox 500, which goes on to the TV, all via HDMI.  I tried running the TV from one side of the splitters' output (in parallel with the SlingBox), but that cost me the ability to use the SlingBox' setup screen, I guess it is not output to the internet.  So now all three are effectively in series.  The cable box tends to want knock the resolution down to 720P, but it's a 26" TV and a 13" laptop I'm watching on.  I have yet to try it with the NextBox 3 4K box, but the current setup suits my needs.

I've Been Here Awhile

Do you think Rogers gives out component converters? I have a place I'm going to pick one up from tomorrow but if there was a way I can get it for free because I "have a tv without HDMI" that would be amazing. I just tried a second splitter which was older and didn't have HDCP and still having issues so going to plan B on this unless there is something readily available in the GTA I can use to resolve this. It doesn't look like Ignite to Slingbox via HDMI will work at all unless there's something I'm missing.