Ignite TV and Slingbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV and Slingbox

I personally have a slingbox myself. Mine was originally connected to a bell receiver and I changed the receiver to Rogers. Obviously it did not change the channels and I had to go into the slingbox account and re-run the setup and change the configuration so it would work with the Rogers Set Top box to change channels.

Just like you I struggled with this but after reading the help pages and support section I was able to figure out how to do it and changed the config so it sends the correct signal to the rogers box now and change channels , I did not have to buy anything from logitech for this to work.

I've Been Here Awhile

You are right, I reconfigured the composite connection on the Sling Box and used Rogers Ignite, pvr, and Comcast X1 as settings, and the Slingbox works okay again. I am returning the Harmony remote to Best Buy, it is not needed. Thanks for saving me $170, plus don’t need two apps to control Sling Box anymore.
I've Been Here Awhile

My picture shows up as blue whenever I connect remotely to the Ignite box. Is there anything I can do to get it to work properly. The remote functionality is fine I can use the Slingbox remote to control the box but I have no visual when remote connection is on.
I'm Here A Lot

If you're connecting the Ignite box to the slingbox and on to the tv via hdmi, the the copy protection is still in place, resulting in the blue screen.  That's why you had to use analog cables as well as hdmi to connect the old box to the slingbox.  I got one of these, it strips the copy protection as the signal passes through it.  There are a couple of ways to connect it, but as long as it's between the Ignite and Sling boxes, it works great.   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LAILGN0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm Here A Lot

Copy protection? That's the first I've read about that.

I tried unsuccessfully to get my slingbox to work with ignite and couldn't figure out the problem. I bought an HDMI to composite converter and although the TV still worked fine (using the composite out signal from the slingbox), the sling itself said that it didn't have any video. It had audio but no video. I finally removed it in frustration.

So how does an HDMI splitter figure into this? The model listed doesnt say anything about removing copy protection that I can see.

I'm Here A Lot

Does your converter also have an HDMI output? If so, I would try sending both HDMI and component to the SlingBox from the converter, and then HDMI only to the TV, same as you would have done from a NextBox. If not, I think the Sling should still work with component only. You could try using an HDMI out of the SlingBox into the TV, not sure if it would be active with component only input. In either case, make sure to select the component input in the SlingBox setup. As far as my splitter goes, I think I read somewhere in the reviews or comments that it stripped the HDCP as the signal passed through it. I can confirm that its output does work as input to the SlingBox. If you do this, select HDMI as your input source, and ignore the warning. Also, I should point out that I have not yet made the switch, just preparing for the inevitable. However, the output signal from the NextBox should be the same as that of the Ignite box.

I'm Here A Lot

My config is not what you think. I replaced an Explorer 8300 (not a nextbox), and my sling is a solo.

I now follow what you meant about copy protection. I'd been hoping that might be a new explanation for why my video signal isn't good enough for the sling but is good enough for the TV.  The following is my config that failed.  The TV signal goes from ignite box, using HDMI, to my HDMI-composite converter. Then using its composite output, the signal goes to the slingbox input. The signal then goes from the slingbox output, still using composite, to my TV.  The TV works great, even with all this stuff in the path.

The Slingbox Solo does not accept HDMI and I believe that the 500 is the only model that does. I won't buy another slingbox, now that it is a dead product.

Given that the TV works with the composite signal that has already passed  through the sling, I have to ask why the sling doesn't like the signal it is passing?

I figured that it might be a software issue and I did a factory reset and tried to reconfigure the box. But that is a hassle too, as the old setup software isn't there and you have to use a different program.

Anyway, after several days of lost time I decided to give up and look for alternate approaches to the sling. My next scheme is to use Windows Remote Desktop. I think that ill work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jpullam wrote:

The TV signal goes from ignite box, using HDMI, to my HDMI-composite converter. Then using its composite output, the signal goes to the slingbox input. The signal then goes from the slingbox output, still using composite, to my TV. 

I assume you mean component video (red/green/blue), not composite (yellow) (plus analogue audio)?  You may wish to check again to make sure the output video setting on the ignite box is 1080i and not "auto".  For kicks, try setting it to 480i and see what happens.  Also check the signal incoming to the TV it should also show 1080i (or 480i for the test).  There is usually an 'info' or similar button on the TV remote to show the incoming signal, or it shows temporarily when you turn the TV on, or when you switch TV inputs.  Make sure the Sling is set to the correct video input, not composite, not HDMI.

I'm Here A Lot

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  The problem is likely with the Solo, I'm not sure if it can handle the newer signals.  The SlingBox 350 is a lesser featured version of the 500 (which I'm using), perhaps you can find a used one.  If not, the app should give you live access to your channels, although only from within Canada, use a VPN with a Canadian IP if out of the country.  Unfortunately, this doesn't get you PVR access, which is what I was looking for in the first place.  Good luck!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fwd1955 wrote:

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  

He's got an Ignite box, not a Nextbox, hence his posts in this thread. The output signal on the Ignite boxes can be different (up to 4K). It also uses HDMI-CEC to automatically set the video output when connected to a TV.  The video output of the Ignite box needs to be set manually to something compatible with the Slingbox (like 1080i, not 1080P or 4K) when using such a device.  Also, any devices (like a splitter or converter box to CV) needs to have the appropriate specifications for the HDMI signal.