cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV | Youtube App | Back button not exiting playing video

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Tried to start YouTube about an hour ago, and I got a message around "we're having problems with this app", or something similar.

Attempted to launch it a few minutes later, and it started successfully.    However, assuming an update was made to the app, it looks like a bug was introduced: the [back arrow] on the remote no longer exits you from the current video, back to your Home or main navigation area.

It's a bit hard to explain, but if you're watching a video, we've been hitting the back arrow to back out, and choose from the Home area - this no longer does anything.

I got a reality check just now from my kids, who use this non-stop, and indeed there is no longer a way to get back Home, other than exiting the app, and restarting it.

I have tried on all 3 Ignite boxes, and all show the same behavior.   I even restarted one box, but no change.

Anyone else noticing this?   If a change was made, please revert.

***Edited Labels***

66 REPLIES 66

Re: Ignite TV | Youtube App | Back button not exiting playing video

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dennis101 wrote:
My 4 boxes are all Xi6-T. Only one box has the 20200624 version update and that one now has the back button now working properly. The other 3 boxes have 20200630 version and those boxes back button do not work. It is confusing.

Interesting.  Thanks!  I just tested all of my set-top boxes; all are running 20200630 and the Back button does not work on any of them.  I also thought that I had tried every update since 20200622 but have not seen the back button work since we all started reporting this problem.  Did I somehow miss the one update where this worked?

Since Google likely wrote the app, I tried searching their support site and found this: Update has stopped back button working

Looks like this is a cross-platform issue.  In the initial posts, users first started complaining that the Back button caused the app to bail out, as if you had pressed the Exit button.  Then the complaints shifted to the Back button not working.  (Did the app developers disable it??)  Users reported that "Reset app" got the Back button working properly again; some have said that multiple app resets are required... but neither a single nor multiple app resets worked for me.

I dunno.  All I do know is that the Back button does not work for me and it makes using the YouTube app a royal pain.

mhallingham
I've been around

We are about ready to cancel our ignite service over this. It is ridiculous. Which will result in cancelling all of our rogers services. None of the posted workarounds are working, and I've updated my app three times.

PLEASE RESPOND OR FIX.

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
Same - even having the courtesy to let us know what is happening or what they are doing to resolve the issue. Communicate please.

Hello, @mhallingham@Dan1963 & Community

I know just how frustrating this issue is as it is occurring to myself as well.

This matter has been escalated to YouTube who is investigating this further. We are working with them and our vendors to find a solution to this matter.

We greatly appreciate all of your patience. We will update the Community once we have additional updates.

RogersTony

robtoe

Just got my weekly text from Rogers indicating the issue is still active.

Given that I suspect this is an easy enough fix by the code owners, I'm disappointed that it is not getting prioritized.    It appears to affect 100% of all of the latest boxes.

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
Absolutely futile trying to get any answers on this from tech support. They didn’t even know what I was talking about so not hopeful for a resolution anytime soon. Last communication other than you sharing your text info was a few weeks ago. Wow. What can I say?

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
The fellow on support was excellent and offered to log a ticket on my behalf.

Dunc
I've been around

Same issue here after an update Sunday evening. Youtube not available and then back arrow doesn't work. This is really bad!

Hello @Dunc

Welcome to the Community!

Have you had a chance to view RogersTony's post? Have you spoken to technical support about this and do you know if there was a ticket created on your account?

Please keep us posted!

RogersZia

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersZia  How many support tickets need to be opened to get this fixed?  Are any tickets open/active and assigned to a developer/support team or are they just getting closed as either a duplicate or with a status of invalid/won't fix?

My fear is that Google considers the current behaviour normal and has no intention of fixing this problem.

@-G- good question! We invite users experiencing this issue to notify us so we can accumulate as many examples as possible and hopefully ensure a fix is deployed in a timely manner. 

Regards

RogersZia

robtoe

...but this affects 100% of boxes with the noted build, which is likely 100% of all newer Xi6 boxes.

Presumably that's a pretty big number of impacted customers?

Dennis101
I plan to stick around
After the back button working for the last three weeks. Today it is not working again. Come on Rogers/ Google please get this sorted out!!

robtoe

Weird how it started working for you @Dennis101, because all 3 of my XiT boxes still have the issue since I reported this about a month ago.

I wonder if the fix is rolling out to only a subset of boxes?

Dennis101
I plan to stick around
I'm confused. Originally all of my 4 boxes didn't work then 1 of them worked for 3 weeks until today.

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
I have 5 boxes and problem persist on all of them. I will give it to the end of the month and then look for options. It’s very frustrating and band aids are inefficient. The lack of communication is even more maddening.

OhHenrie
I've been here awhile

(post merged)

Everytime I press the back button it doesnt do anything. All it does is bring up a tray of recommended videos. How do I make the back button actually work...

(post merged)

There is another thread going on about this right now, which confirms that it is pretty global right now the problem.
Seems like this broke in one of the last updates.

Unfortunately, rogers doesnt directly write the software for these boxes, the tech is 'rented' from Comcast, so Rogers will have to wait for them to fix it.

(post merged)

That is of course, if Comcast decides to fix it ......

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

... and the app is actually written by Google, so they may be arguing as to whether this is a YouTube app bug or an X1 platform bug.

OR, another possibility is that this could be intentional behaviour on Google's part, and the back button was disabled to prevent you from interrupting ads.

This should be an easy, simple regression to fix... and I am REALLY curious as to WHY such an annoying bug has not been fixed yet.

robtoe

@-G-I was concerned about the same thing.   Eliminating the back functionality forces you to wade through additional recommended videos, which may be beneficial to Google's model.

Topic Stats