cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV | Youtube App | Back button not exiting playing video

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Tried to start YouTube about an hour ago, and I got a message around "we're having problems with this app", or something similar.

Attempted to launch it a few minutes later, and it started successfully.    However, assuming an update was made to the app, it looks like a bug was introduced: the [back arrow] on the remote no longer exits you from the current video, back to your Home or main navigation area.

It's a bit hard to explain, but if you're watching a video, we've been hitting the back arrow to back out, and choose from the Home area - this no longer does anything.

I got a reality check just now from my kids, who use this non-stop, and indeed there is no longer a way to get back Home, other than exiting the app, and restarting it.

I have tried on all 3 Ignite boxes, and all show the same behavior.   I even restarted one box, but no change.

Anyone else noticing this?   If a change was made, please revert.

***Edited Labels***

66 REPLIES 66

Re: Ignite TV | Youtube App | Back button not exiting playing video

pturn
I've been around

I have exactly the same issue. Extremely irritating.

How could you have missed this Rogers?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not rogers who is making/updating the app. 
They are renting this software from comcast, so its a change that comcast may have made (and broke).

Have you tried the LAST button on the remote?  It on many other things I have found functions like a back, return, type button.

robtoe

Yep, aware that Rogers takes this all from Comcast, but my venue for reporting issues is via Rogers, who in turn surely have a channel back to source.

I believe I am already referring to the LAST button, which is unlabelled on newer remotes (left pointing arrow), and is to the left of the Voice Command and INFO buttons.    Up until yesterday it was a "up one level" command, which stopped in YouTube last night.

As a workaround, you can return to the Home menu in YouTube currently by scrolling down through the entire list of recommended videos, and a Home option eventually occurs there, but takes much longer.

robtoe

Created a ticket with Rogers, and they can repro themselves.    They are working on it.

@pturnA warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thanks for your first post here!

@robtoe I'm glad you reached out to us and created a ticket to investigate this issue.

As a possible solution and troubleshooting step. Are you able to go into YouTube settings and reset your YouTube app? Please let us know if this resolves it for you.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

RogersHarry

robtoe

@RogersHarry - Thanks for the tip - wasn't aware of it.   Did a YouTube app reset from within its Settings, but it didn't change anything.   Worth a shot though.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, "Settings / Preferences / General / Clear Cookies and Local Storage Data" did not fix the problem either.

Something definitely broke, that either did not get caught in QA or they had to ship the app with known regressions in order to address a serious issue that required an immediate fix.

jjjjy7

Same issue here.  Really limits the usability of the app.

whatever2000
I've been here awhile

For the past week or so, the back button on the Youtube app no longer exits the current video that's playing.

The back button works on regular TV, Netflix and in the Guide.  There is no issue with the physical button.  I had the new Ignite TV box for just over 2 months.

I have done the following:

- unplugged the ignite tv box for 60 seconds

- removed that batteries from the remote for 60 seconds

**Labels Added**

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Youtube

2. Select account to view

3. Play a video to watch

4. Press the back button (left arrow button) to exit the video

Result: Display the on-screen video controls of the video 

Expected: Return to listings

@whatever2000  I have seen this as well and the issue has also been discussed in another thread and reported to Rogers.

whatever2000
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the link to the existing post, looks like the same issue I am having.

I ended up calling Roger's support and they are looking into the issue.

Hopefully the hardware vendor can issue a fix.

@whatever2000  No worries, and welcome to the Community!

It looks like it's just a small bug but still very annoying.  The Back button works properly in other parts of the app, and the app does respond to the button while playing videos but performs the same action as pressing OK/Select.

robtoe

Yep, I started that other thread.   I have a case opened with Rogers, and received an update that they are still working on it.   This likely has to be coordinated with ComCast.

The workaround for now is to scroll down the list of all recommended videos, and eventually a Home option is offered.

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
I have had the same issue for 4-5 days now and it is driving me insane. I tried everything I have read to no avail. This has to be fixed and soon. I spend equal time on YouTube, Cable and Netflix. I have to admit that it is somewhat reassuring to read that I am not alone.

Hello, @robtoe@Dan1963 & Community

I know just how frustrating this issue has become for many users. I use YouTube often myself.

We have had reports of some users noticing this issue was resolved but there are also reports of users who still have the issue. Results are mixed at this time and we are working towards a permanent fix. We have been advised that some users have noticed an improvement after resetting the app by following the steps outlined in Post 6 of this thread.

If resetting the app works for you please update the Community with your findings.

RogersTony

Dan1963
I plan to stick around
Tried resetting the app again...no change.

danno100
I plan to stick around

Mine does that too now...Rogers junk again?.

Dennis101
I plan to stick around

Same issue here in Hamilton.  I have attempted to reset the box and app with no results.  Hopefully rogers or youtube can fix this issue soon.

@Dan1963 and @Dennis101 ,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Thank you for trying the troubleshooting steps as listed in post 6. Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can create a ticket for you.  You can learn more about our PM system from the How to Send a Private Message blog. 

@danno100, have you tried resetting the YouTube app through the YouTube settings? Please keep us posted. 

RogersZia

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

We have had reports of some users noticing this issue was resolved but there are also reports of users who still have the issue. Results are mixed at this time and we are working towards a permanent fix. We have been advised that some users have noticed an improvement after resetting the app by following the steps outlined in Post 6 of this thread.

If resetting the app works for you please update the Community with your findings.

Are you saying that the Back button actually works in your testing and allows you to escape out while a YouTube video is playing?  Not on any of my Xi6-T boxes.  Not even after an app reset.  My set-top boxes updated on June 23rd and I am running version 20200622.00.00 of the YouTube app.

The quickest way that I have found to get back to the YouTube Home page is to just issue the "YouTube" voice command.

Topic Stats