cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV With Ignite WiFi Modem in Bridge Mode

rayray519
I plan to stick around

I would like to add a 3rd party router to the Ignite modem.  Can I set the Ignite modem into bridge mode, but have the Ignite TV modem connected to Ignite modem without any issues or, can I just connect the Rogers Ignite TV modem to the new 3rd party router to "connect" the the Internet?  I assume that's all the TV box is doing is getting a "connection"? 

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV With Ignite WiFi Modem in Bridge Mode

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kick the modem into Bridge mode, connect the router and connect everything to the router, including the set top boxes.  In theory you need IPV6 to be up and running to keep the set top boxes satisfied, but, there are numerous posts from customers who only have IPV4 running on their routers.  So, if you only plan to run IPV4 on the router, that should work.  

There is a secondary issue of the modem broadcasting hidden SSIDs, despite the fact that the modem is "supposedly" running in Bridge mode. 

The minute that the modem changes modes and ends up in Bridge mode, all of the ethernet ports are wide open to the internet, so, every device connected to the modem requires a firewall to protect it from all of the internet miscreants around the world running port scans on Rogers IP addresses 😞

Any questions?  Ask @tyreman, who just went thru this 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rayray519 wrote:

I would like to add a 3rd party router to the Ignite modem.  Can I set the Ignite modem into bridge mode, but have the Ignite TV modem connected to Ignite modem without any issues or, can I just connect the Rogers Ignite TV modem to the new 3rd party router to "connect" the the Internet?  I assume that's all the TV box is doing is getting a "connection"? 

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.  With Ignite TV, you have Ignite TV set-top boxes that connect (by Wi-Fi or Ethernet) to the Ignite gateway, a combination cable modem/Wi-Fi router.

Is it possible to enable "Bridge Mode" on the Ignite gateway, connect your own router to the Ignite gateway, and then connect your Ignite set-top box to your own router.

There is some guidance on how to do this in the following thread: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/td-...

Please beware that Rogers may not be able to provide you with tech support in this configuration; they only support Ignite TV with set-top boxes connected directly to the Ignite gateway.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kick the modem into Bridge mode, connect the router and connect everything to the router, including the set top boxes.  In theory you need IPV6 to be up and running to keep the set top boxes satisfied, but, there are numerous posts from customers who only have IPV4 running on their routers.  So, if you only plan to run IPV4 on the router, that should work.  

There is a secondary issue of the modem broadcasting hidden SSIDs, despite the fact that the modem is "supposedly" running in Bridge mode. 

The minute that the modem changes modes and ends up in Bridge mode, all of the ethernet ports are wide open to the internet, so, every device connected to the modem requires a firewall to protect it from all of the internet miscreants around the world running port scans on Rogers IP addresses 😞

Any questions?  Ask @tyreman, who just went thru this 🙂

rayray519
I plan to stick around
Great thank you this is helpful. I actually don't want to use a 3rd party but due to the limited parental controls in the Ignite App, I am forced to use different monitoring software.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation