Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

I am having the same issues. Everything goes - wifi and TV, but the white light stays on the modem stays on and the Ignite App says everything is online. A tech came out with a new modem and no change. Then another tech came out and moved the modem and ran tests and everything seemed fine. The issue is still there and I even unplugged the power from a power bar and put directly in the wall and it still drops a few times a day. This started about 2-3 months ago and is constant now. It's terrible

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, @Illtownrjm10  and welcome to the Community!

Could you log into your Ignite modem (go to http://10.0.0.1/ ) ,  go to "Troubleshooting > Logs" and display the Event Logs for the Last week?  If all is well, you should not see any errors.  If your Internet service is disconnecting, you should see a number of Critical errors in the log.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Same issue I:m having but 3 modems replaced, half a dozen pods tried, no errors in the event logs, many many visits from techs pre covid. I truly believe that the modems wifi easily gets disrupted by any interfence.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@62Marc wrote:
Same issue I:m having but 3 modems replaced, half a dozen pods tried, no errors in the event logs, many many visits from techs pre covid. I truly believe that the modems wifi easily gets disrupted by any interfence.

DOCSIS 3.1 was designed to handle cable plant issues better than DOCSIS 3.0 but even D3.1 will not perform well when there is excessive noise.  Log into your modem, go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network" , scroll to the bottom, and check the "Unrecoverable Codewords" error counters.  Ideally, they should be as close to zero as possible across the board, especially the downstream OFDM channel(s).  Even if you modem maintains sync, huge error spikes could cause enough packet loss to affect some applications.

The only other way to pin down where your network problems are is to perform three sustained (1 hour long) simultaneous ping tests on your computer to the following:

1. Your computer's default gateway.  (Your Ignite modem, probably 10.0.0.1)  This will measure latency and packet loss on your local LAN/WiFi network.  If you see problems here, the problem is in your home.
  2. Your CMTS Router.  (This is the Ignite modem's default IPv4 gateway address shown that is shown on the "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network" page.)  If the ping test over your local LAN is clean but you get packet loss to your CMTS router, the problem is in your neighbourhood.
  3. A well-connected Internet host.  (8.8.8.8 is a good choice.)  If tests #1 and #2 are clean but you see latency/packet loss on this test, then the problems are further upstream.

It's important to perform ping tests 1 - 3 simultaneously, in separate windows, in order to identify intermittent problems that can occur anywhere along the network path.

If you call into Tech Support, they should be able to identify errors on the line, measure background noise, errors on the CMTS and loading on your local node... and the 1st-level support tech may need to transfer you to a level-2 support agent.

I ran into some weird network issues last fall/winter.  Nothing was showing up in the Event log and the stats counters were showing values that were clearly wrong.  However, the support techs saw a ton of errors with their tools and sent out a field tech to replace my modem.  Problem solved.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We too have this problem and it would appear that Rogers does not have a solution.  I was watching a horse race and did not see the finish.  i am totally frustrated.  Not a happy Rogers customer!!!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just returned an HP computer from Costco. Every time it would start it would crash my wifi...TVs, phone, internet, everything would go out. Finally I ran a bios upgrade on the HP computer and it stopped crashing my wifi, but I decided this was not ok and replaced the laptop with a new Acer. I haven’t had wifi issues since. So, computers can somehow crash your wifi.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fanman its not necessarily the pc or laptop itself, its probably a case of a wifi or ethernet adapter or port controller failing, locking up the wifi or ethernet network for some reason.  We've seen this in the past with failing adapters.  Replace the failing adapter and the apparent modem failure is solved.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So what's the final recommendation on how to proceed with the HP laptop?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@62Marc personal opinion, I'd do the following with a brand new laptop, HP or any other manufacturer.  

1.  With a different laptop or desktop, I'd take an initial look at the laptop manufacturers support page for the laptop, looking for any potential bios or component updates.  If there are any available, I'd run these first;

2.  On the new laptop, after setting up the Microsoft account, or specifying your existing Microsoft account, on the first powerup, take a look for a company laptop update or bios update application.  That will either be in the form of an application tile on the desktop or listed in the available programs/applications under the start icon.  Run any bios or component updates first.  That might take more than one run, so, if there are updates, which require a laptop reboot, go back to the update tile / program and rerun it until there are no more updates available.  I think, on an Acer or Asus laptop, there is an update application to update the bios and components.  I'm not sure what HP does in this regard.  Its possible that you might have to use a web browser to navigate to the HP support page for the laptop, download the updates and then run the updates.  Not sure here, so, one would need to be prepared for an easy way to do this and not so easy way to do this. 

3.  When the bios and component updates are done, run the Windows 10 updates located in Start .... PC Settings .... Updates & Security.  Its probable, on a new laptop or desktop, that you will need more than one run at this as a single update and restart cycle might not bring the laptop/desktop up to its final "update complete" point.  Keep running the updates until the update query indicates that there are no more updates available. 

4.  When that is complete, and if the laptop is an Intel laptop, load your favourite browser and navigate to:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Bookmark that page for future reference.  Install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.  When that is done it should install a taskbar icon "wrench" symbol on the lower right hand corner.  You can use that to run an update check, or, you can navigate to the same page again, after the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant is loaded, to actually run the application.  It will check the system's hardware components for any updates that aren't loaded thru the Windows update check.  Run any updates and reboot as required.  

When all of that is done, you're finally at a point where you can asses the laptop/desktop performance and determine if its compatible with the modem or router that you happen to be running.  

These days, with laptops produced without ethernet ports, you're restricted to an internet connection via wifi or gigabit to USB 3.1 or gigabit to Type C connector. So, if there's an issue with the wifi connection, that is something that you either have to tolerate until all of the updates are done, or, switch to an ethernet connection via gigabit to USB 3.1 or gigabit to Type C connector.

If I saw some anomalies on the laptop or modem during the updates, I'd probably be annoyed more than anything else.  I wouldn't necessarily come to the immediate conclusion that the laptop wifi adapter is faulty and that it should be returned.  It depends on how severe the problem is.  If it prevents you from running updates via wifi, and you're not interested in buying a gigabit to USB 3.1 or gigabit to Type C connector, then there's not much choice but to return the laptop.  If you're willing to put up with the problem temporarily, or you're able to switch to a USB to ethernet connector, then I'd say, power thru the updates and when you run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, look for updates to the wifi drivers and/or bios.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@62Marc wrote:

So what's the final recommendation on how to proceed with the HP laptop?

It was recently confirmed that some WiFi hardware/drivers are incompatible with the Technicolor XB6 gateways.  If you have Realtek WiFi adapter, there is a workaround that you can try: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ignite-WiFi-Gateway-XB6-Losing-internet-connection-mo...

@RogersGordon  Do you know if there is an internal technical bulletin with more information about this incompatibility, if there are any other known problematic hardware combinations, and where things currently stand regarding a fix?  Thanks!