Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

@Azsune wrote:

The WiFi issues I had were never truly solved. The WiFi signal would just vanish and devices would disconnect while everything on Ethernet continued to work. The up time on WiFi would rarely go over one day but the modem up time would be 2-3 weeks. Looking at the logs on the modem would show nothing wrong. They replaced it three times and all three had the same issue.

Yikes, that's not good.

I ended up fixing the issue by turning off WiFi on the modem and buying my own access point. Now the WiFi never goes out but the internet does maybe once every 2-3 weeks when it randomly restarts. The WiFi is faster and the furthest points have 2-3x the download speeds they did before and the latency over the WiFi is noticeably lower, speed tests show its about half as much.

+1

I'm also a huge fan of business-class dedicated Access Points.  It's especially nice (and easy) if a single AP provides you with good coverage in your home.  You also have total control and can fine-tune more complex installations for optimal performance.  They also have a more in-depth setup/management UI and troubleshooting tools just for WiFi than the XB6 has for everything that it does. The downsides are that they are meant to be wall or ceiling mounted and you typically don't get some consumer-oriented features such as WPS , the absence of which many also consider a feature.  Also, if you need multiple AP's, support for 802.11k/r/v to enable seamless roaming across APs, etc. the set-up can get complicated and usually requires a separate server running a network controller and management software.

Last week Rogers sent me an email stating a WiFi corner to corner promise. This was kinda funny to me as they were unable to fix it before and left me to fix it on my own.

We'll see how that goes.  However, I do wish Rogers the best of luck and success with this endeavour.

Right now, I'm focusing my own testing on exactly how the Ignite TV STBs work under less-than-ideal circumstances.  I also really wish that Comcast would put the Xi6 through more "all weather" testing.  They work great when WiFi and your Internet service are rock-solid stable and reliable.  However, in off-nominal situations, the Xi6 should be able recover from errors and get back into a working state more gracefully; instead, they often just throw up a cryptic error screen... and they should offer more customer-accessible (and more useful) diagnostic screens that the more technically-oriented end users can use for troubleshooting.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have had the same issues as you.
Loyal Rogers customer for 20+ years. Switched to Ignite a few months ago and now with whole family home, we’re all getting randomly dropped off wifi and TVs are unreliable (never know if they will work or not). Unacceptable. Have called in a few times. Rogers sent a tech and they guaranteed me twice that I won’t have any problems anymore. I will be switching the Bell Fibe (even though it’s much more expensive). Unreliable wifi is just unacceptable.
Highlighted

Hello, @freedice

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

First and foremost, we can't thank you enough for your loyalty over that last 20+ years. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with these Wi-Fi issues. I know how important it is to have a strong connection.

We definitely want to help you try to get this resolved, we would hate to see you cancel services due to an issue that could potentially be fixed. The COVID19 Pandemic has prevented us from being able to send technicians into homes to maintain and install new services.

• Was your Ignite TV system installed by a technician?
  • Was it working fine after being installed and only started having issues recently?
  • Have there been any changes to the location of the modem inside of your home?
  • Have you recently added any new wireless equipment?

If you are having issues specifically with Wi-Fi we do have a mesh Wi-Fi option that can significantly improve the Wi-Fi signal inside of your home.

We look forward to your response to the questions above.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi tony,
Thanks for the reply.
Responses to your questions are below.
Was your Ignite TV system installed by a technician? YES
Was it working fine after being installed and only started having issues recently? YES
Have there been any changes to the location of the modem inside of your home? NO
Have you recently added any new wireless equipment? Since covid-19 we have been home a lot more and using computers etc more. Rogers tech sent me pods which I installed one and it hasn’t really helped.
For example, Last night I had to restart my tv box multiple times just to be able to watch tv (meanwhile Wi-Fi on other devices was fine). This is a recurring issue. I have had multiple call with Rogers tech support. One guy came to the house and the other did a video chat. Both assured me that my system is working perfectly. But it just isn’t.
Highlighted

Hello again, @freedice

Thanks so much for that additional information!

We'd like to review the notes from the technicians that came out to help determine what steps to take going forward. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started.

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Around

What's the point of a chat forum if all the representatives from Rogers do is hop in and tell people to contact them privately, then provide no information or solutions?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BERGY1 wrote:
What's the point of a chat forum if all the representatives from Rogers do is hop in and tell people to contact them privately, then provide no information or solutions?

By contacting support, Rogers can investigate whether there are any problems affecting the Internet connection itself, and they can also look at WiFi connection stats that go beyond what you can see on the modem or through the Ignite WiFi Hub.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year and have contact Rogers probably over 20 times, had techs come out, replace the modems multiple times, installed pods etc.. the list goes on and on.  It's excuse after excuse. In my humble opinion, it's a modem design that struggles to maintain wifi. Bell has surveyed our area for Fiber Optics and installs will begin soon and then I'm switching. It's pretty sad as I was a lifetime Rogers customer.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Have to agree the wi fi even with the pods is bad.Every and I mean every day I see the lights flashing on the pods.Good thing I hardwired the tv boxes or they would have been thrown through a window a while ago.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@62Marc wrote:

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year and have contact Rogers probably over 20 times, had techs come out, replace the modems multiple times, installed pods etc.. the list goes on and on.  It's excuse after excuse.

I'm not here to defend Rogers, but it sounds like they have tried to go above and beyond to help you resolve this.

In my humble opinion, it's a . modem design that struggles to maintain wifi.

I dunno.  I have had both the Arris and Technicolor gateways installed in my house.  As far as Wi-Fi goes, they actually work pretty well, provided that they are installed in an optimal location.

I have my XB6 installed in one of the worst possible locations for Wi-Fi: in my basement.  Overhead, I have duct work, water pipes, and building materials that are not Wi-Fi-friendly.  Despite that, I can still get a good-enough signal to set-top boxes on the top-floor of my house without any picture glitches whatsoever.  I don't use this configuration every day; this is the one that I fall back to when I need support from Rogers, but it still works.

I'm currently using commercial Wi-Fi access points in my house.  Each Ignite set-top box has an 866 Mb/s connection over Wi-Fi.  It works great.  (The Ignite set-top boxes cannot actually move data that fast but they do have a very efficient Wi-Fi connection.)

I have also had good luck using a Linksys Velop mesh and have also tried a few different Wi-Fi routers configured as access points.  They all work pretty well, when installed correctly, including an old router.  I don't use the Ignite Wi-Fi Pods in my home but have seen them work well.

My Wi-Fi works exceptionally well but that success has little to do with the equipment that I am using.  It works well because I have it configured properly and, more importantly, I know WHERE the Wi-Fi access points need to be placed so that the signal does not get blocked.  I can get coverage throughout my entire home by placing an Access Point on the top floor in the right location.  However, if I move that same access point 12 inches / 30 cm, I will suddenly have very poor Wi-Fi connectivity in all the rooms of my house where I need good Wi-Fi the most.

Bell has surveyed our area for Fiber Optics and installs will begin soon and then I'm switching. It's pretty sad as I was a lifetime Rogers customer.

I have had the Bell Home Hub 2000 and Home Hub 3000.  Wi-Fi on those devices is not really any better or worse than the XB6.  Like Rogers, they also use Pods to extend coverage.

You can't fix Wi-Fi problems by boosting power on the Access Point.  First, industry regulations limit power for safety reasons, and to minimize background noise for other users that have to share the same frequencies.  Even if you could, the Access Point is only one half of the link.  At the other end, you probably have a mobile device with a very weak transmitter.  If the Access Point cannot get a strong signal, it will fall back to using a very inefficient encoding scheme when communicating with that device.  That results in a low data rate AND it also consumes more air time to transmit the same amount of data as those devices with a good connection, which results in poor network performance for all devices on your Wi-Fi network.

If you need to extend your network with Pods, remember that they too connect to the XB6 and to each other over Wi-Fi as well.  Devices connecting to Pods will also see data rates of 200 Mb/s, max.  The Pods' primary purpose is to expand coverage and to improve stability.  However, if the Pods and XB6 gateway do not have good connectivity with each other, you will get even worse Wi-Fi performance and your Wi-Fi mesh will not be stable.

If part of your problem is also poor/unstable Internet connectivity in your area, FTTH will fix that... but Bell's Wi-Fi is still limited by the same Wi-Fi standards and the same laws of physics.