Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Update: problem solved. I got a new hub this morning and it is working great.

Old modem had nothing exceptional in any of the logs. The only consistent sign of problems was that the wireless up time (which you can find on your hub portal 10.0.0.1 gateway->hardware->wireless would never be more than few hours old.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This is beyond frustrating. I just switched from Rogers to Rogers Ignite about three weeks ago, and since the very first day, the WIFI signal has been dropping about every two to four hours, and disappearing for five minutes. After countless calls and live chats with Rogers Support, and even after receiving three wifi pods, the issue still exists. 

I have rebooted the modem countless times, relocated the modem, reset all devices, and yet, nothing. 

Even when my phone is two feet away from the modem, the wifi signal disappears. 

I asked Rogers if I could return to my previous Internet system and, apparently, that is not an option. 

They sent me a new Ignite modem.... no improvement. 

At this rate I am going to switch to Bell Fibe if nothing else can be done. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and, more importantly, have you been able to resolve it? 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Wifi drops are common in Ignite gateway. This can cause problems if your set-top boxes are connected through the wireless connection. Your have couple of options here:

1. Use wired connection. Connect Ignite set-top box(es) to your router/switch/gateway with Ethernet cable. Ignite set-top box defaults to wired connection if it can detect one.

2. If you absolutely need to use wireless connection, you can change a channel of your wifi radio. Use the wifi-scanner to make sure the wireless channel you intend to use is not congested.  

I have switched to Ignite TV a month ago. While on wireless connection also experienced regular signal drops. Once I connected both TV boxes to my router via Ethernet cable - everything is perfect.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I appreciate your suggestions, but the TV is not the issue. It’s the phones and iPads which, as you know, cannot use a wired connection.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

We've had the same issue from the sounds of it. Our modem/Gateway drops everything every 30 seconds or so. TV goes dark, internet connections lost and about 15 seconds later the modem goes flashing orange. We've had 4 techs to our house.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Exact same issues that I'm having for like a year now. Bell is looking pretty good now as soon as this Covid is over it's time to make the switch.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you find that your set-top boxes are constantly disconnecting from WiFi with an RDK-03087 error, check out this post that I made in the "Ignite TV Connection Error Codes: RDK-03087 and RDK-03117" thread.  You might simply need to force your set-top box to disconnect and re-join your WiFi network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The solution so far has been to run a brand new cable from a neighbors drop that isn't in use. It's pretty clear that our problem should be completely resolved once they bury a new line for us. They ordered that over a month ago but Covid most certainly makes getting permits a longer than normal process.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MikeInOttawa  Thanks for the update.  Did you have WiFi issues as well with your install or was the problem primarily with your Internet service?  I remember your signal levels looking okay but you were getting a ton of T3 timeouts, which pointed to either a line problem, modem problem, or both.  Glad to hear that you were able to get a tech to check things out.

Best of luck and I hope things continue to go well.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The WiFi issues I had were never truly solved. The WiFi signal would just vanish and devices would disconnect while everything on Ethernet continued to work. The up time on WiFi would rarely go over one day but the modem up time would be 2-3 weeks. Looking at the logs on the modem would show nothing wrong. They replaced it three times and all three had the same issue. I ended up fixing the issue by turning off WiFi on the modem and buying my own access point. Now the WiFi never goes out but the internet does maybe once every 2-3 weeks when it randomly restarts. The WiFi is faster and the furthest points have 2-3x the download speeds they did before and the latency over the WiFi is noticeably lower, speed tests show its about half as much.

When I moved in my install included a "Temporary" line as the previous line was cut. They said that it would be changed to a permanent line in a few months back in March 2019. Since then the line has sagged a bit and an adult could reach it if they jumped. Calling Rogers to inquire about it just gets the response we see the order and have no estimate at this time for when it will be completed.

Last week Rogers sent me an email stating a WiFi corner to corner promise. This was kinda funny to me as they were unable to fix it before and left me to fix it on my own.