Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

I sympathize. The problem has not been solved for me. I've had several technicians come out to my house, and they've done everything that can be done (including installing "pods" in each room that don't make a difference). I'm now told I have to wait until spring, when it warms up and they can run a new underground cable to my house. I'm thinking of switching back to Bell, but I'm still trying to make up my mind. There's a lot I love about Ignite, and if this wasn't happening, I'd stick with Rogers. But it's extremely disruptive, and they can't fix it. Well, not until the spring, anyway. And who knows what will happen then? Sigh.

(Ironically, the first time I tried to post this, my WiFi went out. Maybe the second time will be the charm! At a certain point, all you can do is laugh.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The technicians have done everything, including swapping the XB6 Modem/Gateway. I've had more outages than I can count tonight. I'm typing this quickly because I'm expecting another one. I can honestly say that in the two years I had Bell, I did not have a single internet outage. Not one. Their service is light-years better, but they steadily escalate the monthly price of their services much more than Rogers does. Anyway, I'll make this short. My Rogers Wi-Fi is terrible. I don't think I can stand it any longer.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aehunt  Are your Wi-Fi devices constantly disconnecting or is your Wi-Fi actually okay but your Internet connection keeps dropping?  ...or are you constantly losing service because your XB6 gateway keeps resetting/rebooting?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

If it is the same issue I have the WiFi module restarts when 6-7 people use it at once. You can see that the WiFi uptime resets back to 0 when ever it happens but devices on ethernet are fine. During the day when alone it never happens, only once everyone is home from work.

It's been replaced and the new unit does the same thing. Is there an alternative to the XB6?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If thats the case, its an issue with the PODs, possibly?  As the modem as a whole it not going down.
(and you would think if the wireless on the modem went down would likely take the rest of it with it).

I think I am glad that I have the EERO pods, seem to be a little more stable.  One of my pods has like 20+ things connected to it (not all 'running' per say, as many are IoT devices).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Exact same issue my friend. For the past 1 year. I have had 3 tech visits to my house. Now with covid Constant wireless connection drops are making it hard to work from home. Wifi keeps dropping intermittently 10-20 times per day for 5-10 minutes. Wireless hardware uptime keeps resetting to 0 on the gateway app. To solve the problem Rogers keeps sending pods to my house. I now have 4 PODs...all the while the modem itself gives me great signal (when it is working) throughout the house. Prior to ignite I had bell and never had any issues. Oh how I miss you bell.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fanman  In your home, where is your Ignite gateway located and how far away are the two closest Pods?  Did Rogers provide you with any guidance on where to place your Pods?  Are you losing Wi-Fi completely or are you having a problem with your Pods going offline?  By the way, you can also run into problems if you Pods are too close together, if you have too many Pods, and also if building materials and other objects are interfering with the signal to a Pod.  If the Pod closest to your Ignite gateway is faulty, that will also cause the mesh to become unstable.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have disconnected all the pods as I don’t need them. I sit near to the modem, and when I do have wireless wifi my signal Is strong and my speed is 450Mbi/s.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I should also say that my Ethernet never goes down.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fanman  Could you please log into the modem, go to "Troubleshooting > Logs" and look at the Event Logs for the Last Week to see if the modem has logged anything?

Have you also tried installing a Wi-Fi analyzer on your computer or mobile device to see whether Wi-Fi is still active on your XB6 gateway even, if you lose connectivity?  Do all Wi-Fi clients in your home lose connectivity at the same time?