Ignite TV - VOIP

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Ignite TV - VOIP

You need to go back to basics. Do the dial ****, and enter 110# to see if the ATA has an IP address. If not check the ethernet connection at both ends.

I was using the Cisco SPA122  and have just learned that it does not have the required features like SIP Options, Keep Alive, random ports that newer ATA have allowing it to work with the Ignite Hub.

marius_gorban
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you everybody for your replies and to @Bplayer for pointing to the basics.

I dont't work with these devices unless I have a problem so kind of I was lost.

5-6 year ago I set up the ATA with Static IP address for the old Rogers Hitron.

I forgot and I was assuming it has DHCP .

So the old static 192.168. x.x wasn't good for the new XB6 10.0.x.x

I used the phone to change the ATA to DHCP and it works.

I hope it helps others like me with almost zero experience.

SSH1
I've Been Here Awhile

To: marius_gorban

Re: Grandstream Adapter
I recently switched to Rogers Ignite. my ignite router is 35feet away. My issue, one of the rooms has been converted to an office (35feet away from the router).  I have a WiFi Extender with an 8 port switch to connect my desktop computer.
I also have a all in one fax printer in my office room.  to use the FAX, I purchased  Grandstream HT801. but I am unable to properly configure Grandstream HT801 to use for the fax. 
Since you do have a Grandstream adapter, I would like to ask, how did you manage to configure it. What are the settings you have used"

Thank you Sam

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

You may have been misinformed but that configuration will not work for your fax. You need a "real" telephone line for connection to the fax. The Grandstream is an ATA device that provides VoIP telephone service when internet connected to a VoIP service provider. It does not provide "stand-alone" phone service.

In addition, many/most VoIP service providers do not support or guarantee 100% fax service over their VoIP line..

You should connect your the fax to the Rogers Home Phone service.

SSH1
I've Been Here Awhile

To Bpalyer,

Thank you for your response. Prior to switching to Rogers Ignite, I was with Comwave and they lease their equipment and lines from Rogers. With Comwave, I was given 2 Grantstream HT801, the 1st was connected directly to the Hitron Router for the home phone, and the second was in my office for the fax machine, and it was working fine. I only wish I copied the configuration. That is why I decided to purchase HT801 hoping I can easily configure it.  However, that has proven to be more difficult to do.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SSH1 wrote:

To: marius_gorban

Re: Grandstream Adapter
I recently switched to Rogers Ignite. my ignite router is 35feet away. My issue, one of the rooms has been converted to an office (35feet away from the router).  I have a WiFi Extender with an 8 port switch to connect my desktop computer.
I also have a all in one fax printer in my office room.  to use the FAX, I purchased  Grandstream HT801. but I am unable to properly configure Grandstream HT801 to use for the fax. 
Since you do have a Grandstream adapter, I would like to ask, how did you manage to configure it. What are the settings you have used"

Thank you Sam

Actually, Fax can operate over a VoIP service but the setup can be rather tricky.  For any hope of this working when calling another POTS-connected Fax machine, you cannot use any voice codec that employs compression.  You need to configure your FXS port to use the G.711 (PCMU) codec only.  Another thing that can mess up Fax is the ATA falsely detecting DTMF tones, so you will need to set the "Preferred DTMF method"  to "In-Audio".

You can also run into difficulties with VoIP when you get packet loss and latency spikes on the network.  However, if things are configured correctly and the network is working well, you should be able to send and receive faxes over a VoIP service.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

@-G-But surely the ATA needs phone service and a telephone number. The OP has Ignite and no VoIP service, and if there is Rogers Home Phone then an ATA is not required.