cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - VOIP

Tedman
I've been here awhile

After switching from Digital cable to Ignite I've found that my voip client no longer works (this is my work phone).

I'm assuming I need to adjust the port forwarding to fix this; does anyone have any odea which ports should be forwarded? (I tried the default port 5060, but that did not solve the issue.

Any suggestions would be welcome.)

*** Added Labels ***

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Ignite TV - VOIP

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

What voip client is it?

Tedman
I've been here awhile

Zoiper version 5. Any call generates a "403 Forbidden" message.

If I try Bria Solo, I get one-way audio. The call will connect, but I can't hear ringing or any audio from the other end.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

Zoiper was the recommended client when I started using VOIP. I seem to remember that it stopped working. This may have been around the time that I switched to Ignite. Made the switch Real Softphone on my laptop and smartphone, and it works well. Give it a try.

Toaster
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

If its a PC app then run a wireshark capture and extract the pcap to see where the soft phone is trying to go and what ports is it trying to use  to get out.. That may give you a lead on where to go next.

Zoiper Problems 

marius_gorban
I've been here awhile

Hello.

I got a new Ignite XB6 modem. After instalation wireless, TV and computers work. VOIP phone doesn't.

I used the VOIP with Rogers Hitron CGN3 modem for years with no problems.

Please advise if there's a solution.

Thank you.

... I use a Grandstream adpater connected to one of the ethernet ports on XB6

@marius_gorban  I think there is something about the XB6's firewall that is causing problems with NAT traversal.  In my case, the ATA was able to authenticate with the service provider and the SIP registration completed.  However, after a period of time, it lost registration.

This support article on voip.ms may help: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Registration_issue

You may also see some errors logged in your XB6 gateway; go to Troubleshooting > Logs and view your Firewall Logs.

I never went into any depth troubleshooting the problem.  I ended up putting my XB6 into bridge mode and used my own router, which had a firewall that was less problematic and that I had full control over.

Bplayer

I have been using VoIP for years, first with Bell, then with a Rogers CGN3, and finally with the Ignite Hub. It was fine with the first two and for over a year with the Hub. Earlier this year it started acting up and tech support suggested latency issues. Was ok after about a week then about a month ago it started acting up again. It would be fine for a maybe day, then no service until a reboot. The last few days have been ok, except that the first thing each morning it would take 10-15 seconds to make a call then its ok.As mentioned it seems to be a QOS issue with the Hub and there are no user controls available.

Had enough of this and the port of my number to Rogers Home Phone happens tomorrow.

marius_gorban
I've been here awhile

XB6 doesn't even detect the ATA. I can't see the ATA MAC.

Bplayer

You need to go back to basics. Do the dial ****, and enter 110# to see if the ATA has an IP address. If not check the ethernet connection at both ends.

I was using the Cisco SPA122  and have just learned that it does not have the required features like SIP Options, Keep Alive, random ports that newer ATA have allowing it to work with the Ignite Hub.

marius_gorban
I've been here awhile

Thank you everybody for your replies and to @Bplayer for pointing to the basics.

I dont't work with these devices unless I have a problem so kind of I was lost.

5-6 year ago I set up the ATA with Static IP address for the old Rogers Hitron.

I forgot and I was assuming it has DHCP .

So the old static 192.168. x.x wasn't good for the new XB6 10.0.x.x

I used the phone to change the ATA to DHCP and it works.

I hope it helps others like me with almost zero experience.

SSH1
I've been here awhile

To: marius_gorban

Re: Grandstream Adapter
I recently switched to Rogers Ignite. my ignite router is 35feet away. My issue, one of the rooms has been converted to an office (35feet away from the router).  I have a WiFi Extender with an 8 port switch to connect my desktop computer.
I also have a all in one fax printer in my office room.  to use the FAX, I purchased  Grandstream HT801. but I am unable to properly configure Grandstream HT801 to use for the fax. 
Since you do have a Grandstream adapter, I would like to ask, how did you manage to configure it. What are the settings you have used"

Thank you Sam

Bplayer

You may have been misinformed but that configuration will not work for your fax. You need a "real" telephone line for connection to the fax. The Grandstream is an ATA device that provides VoIP telephone service when internet connected to a VoIP service provider. It does not provide "stand-alone" phone service.

In addition, many/most VoIP service providers do not support or guarantee 100% fax service over their VoIP line..

You should connect your the fax to the Rogers Home Phone service.

SSH1
I've been here awhile

To Bpalyer,

Thank you for your response. Prior to switching to Rogers Ignite, I was with Comwave and they lease their equipment and lines from Rogers. With Comwave, I was given 2 Grantstream HT801, the 1st was connected directly to the Hitron Router for the home phone, and the second was in my office for the fax machine, and it was working fine. I only wish I copied the configuration. That is why I decided to purchase HT801 hoping I can easily configure it.  However, that has proven to be more difficult to do.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SSH1 wrote:

To: marius_gorban

Re: Grandstream Adapter
I recently switched to Rogers Ignite. my ignite router is 35feet away. My issue, one of the rooms has been converted to an office (35feet away from the router).  I have a WiFi Extender with an 8 port switch to connect my desktop computer.
I also have a all in one fax printer in my office room.  to use the FAX, I purchased  Grandstream HT801. but I am unable to properly configure Grandstream HT801 to use for the fax. 
Since you do have a Grandstream adapter, I would like to ask, how did you manage to configure it. What are the settings you have used"

Thank you Sam

Actually, Fax can operate over a VoIP service but the setup can be rather tricky.  For any hope of this working when calling another POTS-connected Fax machine, you cannot use any voice codec that employs compression.  You need to configure your FXS port to use the G.711 (PCMU) codec only.  Another thing that can mess up Fax is the ATA falsely detecting DTMF tones, so you will need to set the "Preferred DTMF method"  to "In-Audio".

You can also run into difficulties with VoIP when you get packet loss and latency spikes on the network.  However, if things are configured correctly and the network is working well, you should be able to send and receive faxes over a VoIP service.

Bplayer

@-G-But surely the ATA needs phone service and a telephone number. The OP has Ignite and no VoIP service, and if there is Rogers Home Phone then an ATA is not required.

turkk
I plan to stick around

Have been using Anveo voip with OBi 202 for some time with Rogers legacy cable with no problems ,

recently switched to Ignite internet and have had problems since the changeover. Dropped calls,

noisy audio chopped words etc. It also seems that I can't use any wireless connections without affecting the voip call. Do I need to change settings, forward ports or anything else? Thanks.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk check the modem's user settings for a SIP/ALG setting.  If there is one, disable it and reboot the modem.  I don't know if that particular setting exists on the modem or not, but, thats the starting point.  If there is a SIP/ALG setting, and other XXX/ALG settings, disable them.  If you don't find that in the user settings, call tech support and ask if there is a SIP/ALG setting for the modem and ask tech support to disable it. 

Google search for SIP/ALG for reference reading:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sip%2Falg&oq=SIP%2FALG&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j0i30l5j69i58j69i65.1929j0j...

When the SIP/ALG is enabled, it either modifies or replaces the signaling protocol between the VOIP phone and its server.  That signaling protocol is typically specific to the VOIP server, so, any modification or replacement by the modem can result in VOIP phone failing to register properly with the server. 

Fwiw, doing a little more reading in this, there are two possible answers from what I can see, and they depend on the modem that you have.  Here are the modems that Rogers currently uses:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

I believe the modems on that page, from left to right are the XB8, XB7 and XB6 which are used for the Ignite service. 

If you have an XB8, you would have to check the user interface for a SIP or SIP/ALG setting and failing that, call tech support to see if there is a setting that is accessible for that modem.

From the following 2021 Fongo forum page comes the following:

https://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199

ii) Arris XB6 from Rogers

Open your web browser, and login at 10.0.0.1
Navigate to Advanced-->Options.
Uncheck the SIP box.
Click "Apply".

iii) Technicolor XB7 from Rogers

Note that here isn't an option to disable SIP ALG in a (Technicolor CGM4331COM) XB7 (Gen 2) gateway with this Rogers firmware version:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_21.1_d31 & Prod_21.1
Software Image Name: CGM4331COM_5.2p12s1_PROD_sey

According to a tier 2 rep at Rogers, SIP ALG is enabled by default in XB7 with no way to disable it.
I'm not sure whether that representative is correct (the part about SIP ALG being enabled). However, the response from Rogers seems to coincide with what's happening in Xfinity/Comcast XB7's in the U.S.: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/how-do-i-disable-sip-alg-on-the-xb7/60673....  If you are experiencing issues with a Rogers XB7, try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 along with a high, random local SIP Port (X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000 with Obihai ATAs and Obihai IP Phones, and SIP Port, found by navigating to Voice-->whatever Line you're using for FPL-->SIP settings, should be a random number between 30000 and 60000 when using a Linksys/Cisco ATA).

iv) XB8 (Gen 3) has just been released from Rogers

I have no information yet concerning whether SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8.

A tier 2 rep mentioned that Rogers is moving towards locking out administration setting changes for users, so it's doubtful that SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8, but we'll have to wait to confirm.
His reasoning is that if you can't disable SIP ALG in XB7, it's unlikely XB8 will offer the capacity to disable SIP ALG either.

Here's a link to a SIP/ALG detector that might be of some use to prove whether or not the SIP/ALG is active on your modem.  

https://support.ringlogix.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/167/38/sip-alg-detector

By looking at the Rogers modems, you should be able to determine what modem you have.  If you happen to have an XB6, then hopefully you can find the SIP setting as described above.  If you have an XB7 or perhaps an XB8, its possible that the SIP/ALG is enabled and it can't be disabled (Comcast decision).  If thats the case, the only solution would be to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own router, which brings up potential issues with the Ignite TV service.  

Keep in mind, all of those modems have had firmware updates, so, any existing SIP/ALG setting may have been removed, or perhaps added to the user interface.  You'll have to check your modem to determine what the current situation is.  

turkk
I plan to stick around

I have the XB7 and there are very few user settings available. I did not see SIP ALG.

I did do a SIP ALG test and it came back false but not sure it was totally accurate since it was partly blocked by my firewall.

I have not talked to support because I don't have the time right now to do it. I will in the near future and meantime will struggle to use my voip. I thought ignite would perform better than digital cable but guess I am wrong. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turkk the problem here is Comcast's decision to include or not, a SIP/ALG setting in the modem's firmware and make that accessible for the end user to change.  It looks like there's no consistency from modem to modem, in terms of building in the SIP/ALG capability and allowing the end user to disable it if required.  It would be better to not include a SIP/ALG capability and ensure that the end users are aware of that.  

Topic Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 in conversation