cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - TVO

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

First off, I'm not an Ignite customer and I ditched Rogers digital cable VIP over a month ago in favour of an IPTV service from my ISP.  It's a regional ISP I've been with since the beginning of public Internet. I've been able to subscribe to the channels I wanted and it has a feature I don't know if Ignite TV has, where I can go back 24 hours in the guide and watch shows as recordings, which means I don't even have to use the cloud PVR function unless I want to archive a show instead of time shifting, but that's for just a year, which I believe is also an Ignite TV restriction.

One "bug" I've experienced with my service is  that if I record, pause, or replay anything from TVO, I only see it in SD instead of HD like I do watching live.  I brought that up with my service and the final answer I got was that  that's how their (unspecified) vendor provides it. So my ISP uses a 3rd party vendor, which is understandable.  But Rogers?  I wonder if Rogers has their own server farms for Ignite TV or uses a 3rd party vendor. Specifically. do Rogers Ignite TV customers also see this problem with TVO?

***Edited Labels***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV - TVO

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

One "bug" I've experienced with my service is  that if I record, pause, or replay anything from TVO, I only see it in SD instead of HD like I do watching live.  I brought that up with my service and the final answer I got was that  that's how their (unspecified) vendor provides it. So my ISP uses a 3rd party vendor, which is understandable.  But Rogers?  I wonder if Rogers has their own server farms for Ignite TV or uses a 3rd party vendor. Specifically. do Rogers Ignite TV customers also see this problem with TVO?

There are MANY ways to design and architect an IPTV solution, and service providers rarely (if ever) reveal details about their implementations.  Much of the processing can even be done "in the cloud", and Ignite TV (most likely) uses multiple service providers in the pipeline from the time that the source content is received, encoded, transcoded, packaged for delivery, and then sent downstream to a network of servers in a content distribution network where it can then either be streamed live (to thousands or to millions of people) or stored on servers (in multiple formats and at different bitrates) for later viewing on-demand, from cloud PVR storage, look-back, restart, etc.

Generally speaking, depending on which products and technologies are used in an IPTV implementation, and how the pipelines and workflows are set up and orchestrated, will depend on whether you will get the same, similar or totally different experiences when you view streamed live content or view content that has been stored.  Licencing agreements can also restrict how/where program content can be consumed, the format(s) that content can be stored, and method(s) that it can be viewed later.

In your case, your service provider is storing TVO in SD.  Sometimes a live stream may have DD 5.1 surround sound but the stored content does not.  Sometimes you may not be able to fast-forward through on-demand or stored content.  Sometimes the video quality of live and stored content can vary due to differences in encoding and transcoding in the various pipelines.

The better service providers strive to provide the best possible and the most consistent experience, regardless of how you consume the content.  Customers don't appreciate the differences in quality of the TV services out there until they switch services/service providers, and experience pleasant surprises and/or unexpected limitations with their new service.

Specifically. do Rogers Ignite TV customers also see this problem with TVO?

No.  With Ignite TV, I have never seen any cases where an HD channel gets recorded in SD.  Ignite TV does not even offer SD and HD versions of the same channel.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. The feature is called "restart" and is available from certain service providers on certain services (usually IPTV), on certain channels.  It doesn't apply to all channels only certain ones.

2. With "restart" you  are usually forced to watch commercials (no FF/skip) functionality. So, although useful, it's not as good as recording.

3. I'm pretty sure that HD channels are HD on IgniteTV on recordings/restart (if applicable).

4. Rogers would probably have their own servers (or lease server space), hence certain restrictions like how long you can pause live TV (I believe 15 minutes), how long the recording stays on the server (1 year), etc.  It's possible they use Comcast, but I doubt that's the case for recording servers.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

There are MANY ways to design and architect an IPTV solution, and service providers rarely (if ever) reveal details about their implementations.  Much of the processing can even be done "in the cloud", and Ignite TV (most likely) uses multiple service providers in the pipeline from the time that the source content is received, encoded, transcoded, packaged for delivery, and then sent downstream to a network of servers in a content distribution network where it can then either be streamed live (to thousands or to millions of people) or stored on servers (in multiple formats and at different bitrates) for later viewing on-demand, from cloud PVR storage, look-back, restart, etc.

Generally speaking, depending on which products and technologies are used in an IPTV implementation, and how the pipelines and workflows are set up and orchestrated, will depend on whether you will get the same, similar or totally different experiences when you view streamed live content or view content that has been stored.  Licencing agreements can also restrict how/where program content can be consumed, the format(s) that content can be stored, and method(s) that it can be viewed later.

In your case, your service provider is storing TVO in SD.  Sometimes a live stream may have DD 5.1 surround sound but the stored content does not.  Sometimes you may not be able to fast-forward through on-demand or stored content.  Sometimes the video quality of live and stored content can vary due to differences in encoding and transcoding in the various pipelines.

The better service providers strive to provide the best possible and the most consistent experience, regardless of how you consume the content.  Customers don't appreciate the differences in quality of the TV services out there until they switch services/service providers, and experience pleasant surprises and/or unexpected limitations with their new service.

Specifically. do Rogers Ignite TV customers also see this problem with TVO?

No.  With Ignite TV, I have never seen any cases where an HD channel gets recorded in SD.  Ignite TV does not even offer SD and HD versions of the same channel.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation