Ignite TV - TV Call Display

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Ignite TV - TV Call Display

Can my 93 yr old DAd switch back to Digital from Ignite.  The call/lobby  display was important to him.  We were not informed of loss of features when sales switched him to Ignite.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should check with the superintendent or whoever is responsible for the lobby watch feature in the apartment/MDU and see whether there is an option like feeding the signal directly to the back of the TV and tuning to a specific channel.  This is how things were done before the lobby camera was "injected" into the cable signal.  It would also probably be how things work for anyone who doesn't have cable in the unit...

You would then switch the TV to the "antenna" input where the cable with that signal would be connected and view the lobby watch there.  If your dad has difficulty switching inputs, you could get him a Harmony (or similar programmable) remote which would do so with one button press and also then tune back when you want to "watch TV"...  You might need to set this up for him.  This might be easier than trying to switch back to Digital Cable because it's strongly discouraged by Rogers and may even lose the phone number, etc.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57 is correct.

In the long run, with bell already over on IPTV, and rogers slowly moving to it (digital TV over coax would/will be canceled at some point.. (still probably 10+ years down the road though my guess)), none of these devices have 'tuners' to be able to pick up the signal.
Hopefully NEWER lobby stuff will be released which can be accessed by other means, and older systems eventually upgraded.

But as mentioned, it still should be doable.
They havent really been uses for years (since analog TV), but almost all TVs still have a tuner in them.
That the TV itself, can be tuned to be able to view those channels.
Then all it would take is changing the TV input to the built in tuner, then back when done, etc. (just like switching to another input to use a DVD player, etc)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the number of people who are cancelling home phone service constantly increasing and the number of new home phone activation's shrinking significantly, its only a matter of time before its not financially feasible for a company such as Rogers to build new features for a dying service.  It only makes sense they dont have it now cus of the fact home phone is on the decline and the vendor probably wanted a pretty penny to incorporate such feature and the amount of Canadians who subscribe to home phone on Rogers Ignite would probably not pay off the expense of the feature in the long run.  Think of TV Call Display as a "nice to have" instead of a "mandatory" feature, its not required for your phone to work, its more of a "hey this is cool to have" kind of thing.  when they did come out with it on regular digital cable, the subscriber count was probably much greater than it is now and it probably paid it self off but that is likely not the case with this new vendor

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Since changing to Ignite TV there is no longer a call display on the TV, this feature was very important to me. 

Is this something Rogers is looking at correcting.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

considering when digital cable first came out, i think it was like 12 years or so before TV call display was introduced,. so now that ignite tv is out, i hope it gets launched a lot sooner than 12 years

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Some are saying because of the disconnection rate of landline phones is the reason Rogers has not yet offered this feature or invested money toward it. In Canada residential phone lines are still used and to the tune of 67% of households. They would never offer a landline service if it was to be totally extinct. Also, Roger's has paid for a license to use and operate the Xfinity Service developed by Comcast in the United States. This service in the United States currently offers TV call display So Rogers does not have to spend any more money it's just turning on a switch. It's a very useful service in my home and hopefully it will be offered soon!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not as easy as turning on a switch. Theres bureocracy involved. The decisions to enable features is usually comes from higher up within the company they did the math already and crunched the numbers perhaps they determined it was an expense that would not yeild the results they want at this time. We wont know as we do not sit at the meetings where these decisions are made they are mostly private and confidential

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Given that as of today the CRTC expects Rogers, et al. to start implementing measures to help protect customers from harrassing spam calls, it seems to me that the right thing for Rogers to do is to implement Rogers Ignite Call Display.  This can be another tool customers can use to screen calls.  There are still many of us using land lines and would appreciate this service (which we enjoyed with the pre-Ignite TV platform but have lost).

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Will be getting Ignite in January after years with reliable digital.

I found the on TV screen call display very convenient and hope Rogers gets it up and running soon like Comcast has in the states.

But I was just thinking of another major problem for people with the Rogers phone. In the unlikely event of a power failure everything goes down. TV, internet and phone. I can understand and accept that. Though Bell does have a battery back-up option.

But for those living in an apartment, if  just the internet goes down, same thing, all 3 services are gone.

So, someone calling, using the intercom in the lobby of the building won't be able to get through to the person they're calling if the internet is down.. Am I right?

After reading some of the threads in this community forum about poor audio, poor picture quality, poor internet speeds and other problems I'm getting nervous. lol