Ignite TV - Slow WiFi Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - Slow WiFi Speeds

I'm not sure if we have a copy/paste issue but the modem's uptime is less than 24 hours and it looks like some channels have a HUGE number of uncorrectable codewords.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Nope... that's what it was showing. It's less than 24 hours because I was talking to tech support and they reset it remotely. I thought those numbers looked weird, but don't know what they mean.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Okay... but when I look at the "CM Error Codewords" section, I only see columns 1-26 so part of that table is missing. Looking at your uncorrectable codewords, you have more than 14 million on one channel and more than 8 million on another. That's not good. By comparison, my modem has been up for more than 15 days. Most channels have 0, a few have hundreds, a few have thousands of uncorrectables. I also checked Troubleshooting > Logs and I don't have any errors in my Event Log.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I thought those numbers looked weird, but I wasn't sure what the "codeword" table meant?? I am used to seeing "error code violations" on my previous modem.
So what is a high number of "uncorrectable codewords" a sign of? Is there something I can do to clear those? Or is there something I need to ask tech support to do to clear them? Could they be ehat is causing my slowness issues?
I worked for an ISP for 12yrs as a tier 1 support desk person, so I understand that I shouldn't expect to get 1gig connection on my wifi. But I dont think it is unreasonable to be paying for a 1gig internet pipe and to expect aèt least 500meg or more on my wifi. My neighbor with the same package gets 750meg on their wifi.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Search the Internet for "DOCSIS Codeword Errors" for a better explanation than what I can type up with the Forums in their current state. Codewords are basically the data that get sent over a DOCSIS channel. The data encoding allows for some errors to be corrected; relatively high corrected errors are indicative of less-than-ideal conditions but does not affect network quality from your perspective. Uncorrectable codewords equates to packet loss. You can look at Wi-Fi performance once your Internet connection is solid. Right now, I would expect to see degraded throughput when testing with both wired and wireless connections.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jakika5 One more thing: Could you please log into your modem and go to Troubleshooting > Logs and view the Event Logs for the last week? My guess is that your modem is logging a ton of critical errors.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@akika5, first off, apologies for the long post. No doubt the forum software will remove all carriage returns from this post, resulting in one long unruly post. Grrrrr…… Your modem is running SC-QAM channels and two OFDM downstream channels. The channels with the high uncorrected number of codewords appear to be the two OFDM channels. That does make sense as an OFDM channel runs thousands of low power sub carriers throughout its channel spectrum. Compared to what we’ve seen in the past, the presence of a large number of uncorrected codewords on an OFDM channel might not be a problem issue. There’s no indication of the OFDM channel width so it’s not possible to know if those channels are 192 Mhz wide at their maximum or if their reduced from that maximum, which would reduce the number of sub-carriers from 4096 for a 192 Mhz wide channel down to an appropriate sub-carrier count for a smaller channel. Note that its unusual at this point to see two OFDM channels running. Your post is probably the first post with two OFDM channels in operation. That does bring up the question of whether or not there are any issues with your modem running two OFDM channels. At this point in time, it’s just a question that I would normally ask. Fwiw, if you look at the signal levels, there is an upward slope from 350 Mhz, upward. The one OFDM channel starting at 350 Mhz shows -6.2 dBmV, which isn’t great. At the same time, the signal to noise ratios, across the board, are at the bottom of the typical range for Roger’s modems which is usually 36 to 40 dB. So you have a combination of low signal levels and low signal to noise ratios. How much of an effect that will have on this particular modem model is a good question, but, it doesn’t help the situation. Can you have a look at the bottom of the modem and let us know which modem you have? It will either be the Arris TF-3482ER or the Technicolor CGM-4140. The Arris modem is an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem while the Technicolor modem is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modem. They are totally different from each other. Can you also have a look at the back of the modem, specifically at the connected ports. Do those ports have LEDs which would indicate the link rate? If so, what color are they? Looking at your LAN “settings” as you indicated, one is at 1 Gb/s and one is at 100 Mb/s. Those numbers on a modem or router aren’t usually a setting, they normally reflect the connection rate with the connected device. That depends on the connecting cable, the connected device port and whether or not the connecting cable is connecting to both ports properly. Its possible for a gigabit port on a desktop or laptop to be set for 100 Mb/s, so if there is any question of the data rate to an Ethernet connected device, you may have to drill down into the port settings and reset the port rate if necessary. On a windows desktop or laptop which is connected via Ethernet, if you right click on the Network connection icon in the taskbar, select “Open Network & Internet Settings”. Select Properties and have a look at the Link Speed (Receive/Transmit). That should show 1000/1000 Mb/s for an Ethernet device these days. If that only shows 100/100 Mb/s then there is an issue with a port or connecting cable, or a cable connection at either port. Note that there are computer users who have “Fast Ethernet “ cables in their home. Those cables only support 100 Mb/s, so, at one point in time there were “fast”, these days, it actually slow. That link rate can help diagnose problems connecting to a modem, router or switch for example. If you do the same for a wifi connection, it will show the link rate with the modem or router. That’s not the data rate, it’s the raw connection rate as shown in the following table: https://www.wlanpros.com/mcs-index-charts/ That connect rate can also be used to troubleshoot wifi issues. For now, the task of the day should be to get the Ethernet performance up to where it should be. The wifi rates should increase on their own when the wired issues are resolved. You can’t compare your neighbours wifi performance to yours, given differences in equipment, equipment capabilities and settings. A wifi data rate of 750 Mb/s would indicate using some device beyond a normal run of the mill laptop or wifi connected desktop, especially in the presence of other users in the same channel range. Fwiw, in terms of conduced output power: 1. the channels in the 36 to 48 range are restricted to 200 mw; 2. the channels in the 52 to 144 channel range are restricted to 250 mw; 3. The channels in the 149 to 161 channel range are restricted to 1 watt. So, even with competition in the upper 149 to 161 channel range, the output power level can result in a faster data rate compared to running in the lower channel range without any competition. You really have to test that in your own home to determine the results however, testing both lower and upper channels, fixed in place, not running on Auto. For now, the first task is to improve the wired rates to where they should be, which is above 900 Mb/s.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink. it's not obvious at first glance but the vendor is shown on the stats page and this is a Technicolor XB6. A bunch of things about the stats page also do not look right to me either, which why I asked if there were any copy/paste issues. Regardless, the high error counts still concern me.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Extremely delayed and slow connection Rogers Ignite. The cable and the WiFi is incredibly slow. The delayed input from button presses on the remote, to simply tuning into a new channel sometimes takes upwards of 7 seconds. It's disgusting. This is unacceptable as the old hardwired connections never had this problem. 4K and higher resolution videos and movies are almost unwatchable, and sometimes are because of the constant buffering. 1 step forward and 4 steps back.

Highlighted

Hey @Alkqn!

Welcome to the Community!

This is certainly not the ideal Ignite TV experience! I'm sorry to hear you've been having such speed related issues. Have you contacted support yet? It sounds like there may be an issue getting the wireless signal where it's needed in the home. A modem relocation can be accommodated or alternatively we have our Wall to Wall WiFi option! 

If you require any assistance definitely reach out to support at your convenience. You can reach support via phone/Live Chat or Social Media, information for all can be found here

@RogersAndy