Ignite TV - Several Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite TV - Several Issues

I've had all of the above issues since day 1.

Techs out to the house a few times, each time they find something. Fix it but only minor improvement.

After 2 months of this, I called my concierge to see what option I had had to return to my previous configuration with just regular coaxial cable. 

She was extremely polite and offered to upgrade my service from 150mbs to 500mbs at no charge. I agreed.

The result, while my computers don't show much improvement (for various factors), the result on the problems I faced has shown a noticeable improvement.

1. TV stream freezing or going black, less often and for shorter duration
2. Same for loss of sound
3. No issues with watching recorded shows
4. Before I couldn't watch Netflix for more than 510 minutes without it loosing its connection. So far that hasn't happened.
Still not happy about the performance issue as the streaming pauses etc. seem to happen right when I'm watching something like a news report and the key last 10 seconds get's cut-off or at critical point in a TV show.

Hope this gets fixed soon otherwise once my contract is up, I'll be moving away from Ignite.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi aknecht0,

I would suggest that you check your billing.  Recently (like a couple weeks ago) there was a reduction in the pricing of the Ignite bundles. The 150 and 500 UNLT bundle prices dropped. Make sure you're paying for the new reduced price for the150 UNLT, but are getting the 500 UNLT bundle (which costs less than the previous price of the 150 UNLT bundle). Run some speed tests to verify that you are indeed getting at least 500 mbps (when connected to the Arris (?) modem via ethernet cable, rather than Wi-Fi (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz).

The added speed is always good (esp. at no additional charge). However, it doesn't resolve the problem, but it could mask the problem by acting as a bandaid to cover up the perceived performance symptom. In particular, although the data signals can get to your home much faster, the off-ramp could be congested due to the modem . router. I understand Rogers has been deploying the Arris modem/router combo (10.0.0.x) replacing the older Hitron boxes (192.168.x.x). Checking other ISP's, it appears that there are issues with the Arris "solution," e.g., firmware issue.

If your concierge also suggested the mesh alternative using EERO hub/beacon(s) to compensate for the routing capability/capacity of the Arris modem(/router), this suggests that the EERO add-on supplements a shortcoming of the Arris device, i.e., wireless routing and range coverage, since the EERO hub is supposed to provide the routing and the EERO beacon extends the Wi-Fi signals.

IMHO, rather than recommending the Arris modem with the EERO mesh for routing (additional charge), Rogers should bundle the EERO at no charge, as integral with the Ignite bundle service. Be that as it may, this more complex configuration is still a workaround bandaid. It would be prudent for Rogers to look into a more reliable and capable all-in-one integrated modem/router (like other ISPs). This edge device should have the capability to manage signals directly (via multiple RJ-45 ethernet ports up to 1 Gbps) as well as wirelessly (dual mode @ 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) covering a large radius.

Pinch me to wake me up.

I've Been Around

I'm having all kinds of issues in Oshawa. I was on with tech support within 24 hours of install and had three techs to the house and been on phone with tech support am additional 3 times averaging one and half to 2 hours on phone. Third tech left this morning after 2 hours says it is the line coming into the house and maintenance has to come fix it. He couldn't pair a remote to our set top box tried 2 boxes 2 remotes and different modem then left and we still have no voice remote working only had service for about 10 days. Getting ridiculous, sad part is when it's worked which is barely it's an awesome service but if it's not working the way it should be end of month I'm gone.
I Plan to Stick Around

@mojoman69 wrote:
I'm having all kinds of issues in Oshawa. I was on with tech support within 24 hours of install and had three techs to the house and been on phone with tech support am additional 3 times averaging one and half to 2 hours on phone. Third tech left this morning after 2 hours says it is the line coming into the house and maintenance has to come fix it. He couldn't pair a remote to our set top box tried 2 boxes 2 remotes and different modem then left and we still have no voice remote working only had service for about 10 days. Getting ridiculous, sad part is when it's worked which is barely it's an awesome service but if it's not working the way it should be end of month I'm gone.

Make sure you call support and open tickets for all your issues.

Most are no "Known issue" which at least you don't have to argue with support !!

Also call concierge and make sure you get discount...

I've Been Around

We got ours set up today by a senior tech (so he said) and within 30 minutes of him leaving everything went offline. Our tv just turns off (wired and wireless), the internet just stops working.. I’ve called tech support THREE times and no fix. I’m waiting for someone to call me to arrange a tech to come to my house. I spent all day at home with them today and I work from home so now this is going to impact my ability to work efficiently tomorrow which is is extremely frustrating. We switched from Bell because of issues but this is FAR worse. Instant regret.

I've Been Here Awhile

Having the same problems with fast forwarding hanging. Very frustrating to watch. Rogers keeps sending messages saying they are working on it but not to confident they will. Gonna try with wired ethernet today, even though wifi signal is good. Don't think it will make much difference, as problem is at their end.

I Plan to Stick Around

I’m using wired (cat6) and have same issue
Mine is also connected directly to the e back of Aria modem
I Plan to Stick Around

So, even bypassing the wireless connection, and going directly into the RJ-45 Ethernet port on the set top box, you still experience these issues. Yikes!

In your case, the Arris modem/router would be close to the set top box. (Same as my setup). So the 5Ghz Wi-Fi signals are not limited due to distance or obstruction.  Therefore extending the LAN with the EERO mesh would not resolve the TV issues (freezes, lags, etc.), but maybe for connecting other smart devices (tablets, PCs, etc.) around the house.

IMHO, the weakest link appears to be the Arris modem/router, and/or the TV set top boxes (which are simple Android devices running a single app suite that supports IP TV). What do you think? 

I've Been Here Awhile

I've tested speed both from the connected device to the modem and the one connected via WIFI.

Speed is within specifications and there don't seem to be issues. The issues is with box itself in my opinion.

If I access Ignite via the app on my phone or via the website, I have no issues. Both ways I never lose the connection to backend server. I can even have it playing on my laptop and the TV (via desktop box) at the same time and see the issue is with the box.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's awesome wez!  Thanks for the update.